Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal 1 stopped working - ISP connection is at fault

Guzzles
2: Seeker

Hi, is there a hero out there who can help me please?

My Suresignal V1 has stopped working, but it works fine when I plug it in a neighbours router. The VSS boot up sequence is:

1) Power Light: On
2) All 4 lights flash in sequence
3) Power Light: On
4) @ Light (VPN): Flashing
5) @ Light (VPN): On
(the above happens pretty quickly then after a while)
6) Tick Light (NTP): Flashing

Then all the lights go out and it starts again. It'll do this several times then eventually settle on only the power light being on.

ISP Speed:  4Mbs D/L & 665 Kbs U/L:

Ping Test results 0% loss, 42mSec Ping, 11mSec Jitter

IP address: 78.147.28.166

S/N 253264385

Trace Route:

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 24 ms 26 ms 24 ms host-78-147-16-1.as13285.net [78.147.16.1]
2 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms host-78-151-230-139.as13285.net [78.151.230.139]

3 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms host-78-151-230-138.as13285.net [78.151.230.138]

4 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms host-78-144-8-246.as13285.net [78.144.8.246]
5 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms host-78-144-0-79.as13285.net [78.144.0.79]
6 30 ms 32 ms 30 ms host-78-144-10-78.as13285.net [78.144.10.78]
7 31 ms 31 ms 34 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
8 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 85.205.116.2
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I have attempted to Port Forward via the portforward website as I think this might be the issue, but for my D-LINK DSL-2780 router the website states I need to configure a static IP address for my Computer. I don't know why that is as I imagine if I need to port forward to a static address this should be the VSS.

I tried to configure a static address via the router  - allocating an IP address to the MAC address of the VSS on the DHCP table, but I don't know whether that works as I am not configuring the VSS with a static address. I have configured the router to port forward with the static address that I have created, but the VSS symptoms remain the same.

Can anyone help me?????

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guzzles,

Thanks for your post here.

As the Sure Signal works fine at your neighbours house it means that the problem is with something that has been changed by your internet provider.

Although everything looks fine, can you confirm your serial number because the one you have given isn’t recognised by the system.

As long as the Sure Signal has an IP address and this has been added to the DHCP table it shouldn’t need anything else, especially as you’ve also forwarded the required ports.

As well as the serial number, can you let me know who your internet provider is?

James

Hi James,

thanks for responding. I read the wrong number off the label. The serial number is: 21230732006. My ISP is TalkTalk.

Is there a way I can verify that the SureSignal is on the static IP address I have configured? I am unable  to ping it from my lap top which is a bit surprising?

Thanks

Guy

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guzzles,

I've had a check on that serial number and I can see the last contact it had with our servers was yesterday at 03:30. Given that there's been no other activity since December, I'm going to manually force a resynchronisation now. To complete this, can you:

Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
Once the lights come back on, release the button.
The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

When you try to contact the Sure Signal from your laptop, what is the error message you see? 

Cheers, Ben

Hi Tech Team,

I tried the reset as requested i.e. help the button in until the 4 LEDs lit in sequence. After a day, the VSS still remains with the first LED on.

I have pinged the VSS, here are the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Guy>ping 192.168.1.8

Pinging 192.168.1.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.7: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\Guy>

It looks as though the ping works, I just don't like the Destination host unreachable message?

I have also attached screen shots for the static address and port forwarding configs on my router along with a picture of my VSS label (showing MAC address) to hopefully confirm whether I have configured the router correctly?

Many thanks in anticipation

Guy

Hi Guzzles,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I’ve taken a look at the registration and everything looks fine other than a location profile update that’s been detected.

To sort this out, you will need to log into the online account, change the location of the Sure Signal to a different postcode, log out, log back in and change it back to your postcode.

As this works without issues on a different connection it has to be an issue with either the ISP or the router you are using.

I’ve done some research and can see that we do have other users that are using this router so we know that it definitely will work.

The next thing that I would try is to look at the firewalls on the router, are you able to do a quick test by lowering the firewall and resetting the Sure Signal again to see if a connection can be established.

James

Hi,

I did what you requested.

1. I changed the postcode, then re-registered with my home postcode
  2. I dropped my router firewall and reset the VSS.
  3. Within an hour, I got my email account hacked,  and dodgey emails sent to everyone.
  4. I have re-instated the firewall.
  5. The VSS didn't work during the firewall test.

What are the next steps (hopefully not risky)?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there Guzzles,

I'm sorry about that.

Can you try another Ethernet cable if you have one?

Failing that, did you get a new router when you changed provider and if so, could you change back?

Cheers,

LeeH

Guzzles
I am struggling to understand how the cable can be at fault if the VSS is able to establish a VPN session, it just can't establish the NTP session. The router used to work.
I am concerned that I'm not getting any progress on this issue. Can this problem get escalated?
Guy

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guzzles

Could you test the Sure Signal at different location? This will help us to determine whether the issue lies with the device or your ISP.

Thanks

Sukhi