Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal 3G only -> handset using 4G network

butako
4: Newbie

SS is 3G only. By default, most new phones prefer 4G and attempt to use the 4G external network when available. In my case, the 4G network is rather weak and unreliable at home (which is why I purchase the SS box), but my phone is not falling back to use the 3G SureSignal due to the weak 4G. 

Only way to force the phone is manually change settings to '3G preferred' while at home. Later, change to 4G preferred when outside. 

All this is rather silly really and defeats the purpose of a SS device. 

I don't think this is Vodafones problem per-se but a technical issue with 4G/3G/Phone by design. 

Any suggestions folks?

4 REPLIES 4

butako
4: Newbie

Thinking about it, I think this behaviour is normal and quite expected. It's just unfortunate that my phone is preferring the weaker LTE external signal over the stronger UMTS internal signal from the SS device. 

Well, I guess the SS makes for a nice foot warmer, and a backup for when the 4G network goes down. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @butako, the Sure Signal is used to generate a 3G signal in low coverage areas. 

As you've mentioned, to connect your phone to the Sure Signal you'd need to manually change your settings from 4G to 3G.

If you'd prefer, you do have the option of returning the Sure Signal under the 14 day returns policy.

I have a new V3 as the old one got hot and stopped working. Previously the phones (both iphone 6) all connected fine to the Sure Signal V3.

Now I have a new one the phones do not connect automatically.

I can get it to connect by making a call sometimes and then the next call is connected. Also I toggled off the wifi a few times and put it in to flight mode - that seemed to trigger it connecting somehow.

I have been on the chat service several times over the last 2 weeks and tried various resets and sim cards out. They reset it at their end too.

I have called the help desk today. I was told to change manually to 3G. Yes that made it connect. Looks like a great "workaround" and a sure fire way to get the phones connected.

I was told that the device is only designed for 3G. I asked if it had been redesigned as it worked fine before without me manually changing settings each time I re-entered my house. The asistant intimated that it had been redesigned and then retracted it when I put them on the spot. "We don't design it".

I (as is stated above) stated that if this was the case the box was pretty pointless especially as it has worked fine for 2+ years.  Great for someone desperate in a very low signal area with WiFi but not in a half decent area on the fringes of a signal. Once connected I then changed back to 4G as requested. All works fine - I suppose until I leave the building. They will call me back later to see if it is OK - which I am sure it is as haven't left the building. When I bought a V3 I was under the impression that it would the same as my previous V3 - noone told me it had been redesigned. I suppose there comes a point when it is time to move on. I am very close. I ONLY came back to Vodafone a couple of years ago because of the Sure Signal as it was seemless and worked great. I will get a definitive I am sure and share the information but currently it sounds like the box is not for us.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@macker6464 - I can understand what you’re saying and we wouldn’t want you to leave us due to this.

On your other post, you’ve mentioned that the signal in your area has improved and you might not have noticed this before.

As nothing’s changed with the way the device works, it does sound like this is what was previously happening.

When you’re out of the house, is your phone displaying that it’s using 4G? If it’s not, then I’d advise to leave it on 3G and then this will avoid you having to change the setting.