Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal DHCP

gcunning
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Does anyone know if there is a way to manually set the gateway details for a suresignal. I have two internet connections, Virgin and Plusnet. Virgin is my main link, but the quality of service means it doesnt seem to work well with VSS. My DHCP server issues the virgin gateway as the default gateway. Is there anyway I can overide this so I can send my VSS via plusnet and actually get a good connection? 

Many thanks

Giles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As has been said, the SS *only* gets it's details (inc gateway) via DHCP.

So it sounds like you need to run a DHCP server configured to do what you want.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi gcunning,

To be honest I’m not sure if this is actually possible as it would need to be done via the router that you are using.

The only way that I can think of is if you have a dedicated phone line for each connection and have separate routers for each broadband connection.

If anyone has any thoughts on this please let us know.

James

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

Where's the DHCP service running? On one of your routers or on a server box?

I'm just wondering if it's possible within your arrangements to create a second scope with your non-Virgin gateway as the default, and assign a static address to your VSS from there.

Peter

HI

Thank you for the replies. The DHCP server is running on the virgin router, and what you can do is very limited in what you can do. I have a CCTV system which is Ubuntu based running 24x7 so I think the only option is to run the DHCP server on that, so I can have the VSS go out over plusnet. I cant wait till my virgin contract expires!

Many thanks for the prompt responses

Giles

As has been said, the SS *only* gets it's details (inc gateway) via DHCP.

So it sounds like you need to run a DHCP server configured to do what you want.

I resolved this by setting up a new DHCP system. Now my critical traffic goes across plusnet who have decent packet priorities and the rest goes across virgin. Only 8 months till my contract with virgin expires. 

Thank you for your help

Giles