Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal Problem with Netgear DGND4000

anthonypscott
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Reference the Netgear DGND4000 router I tried to use one of these routers because I though my old router, a Netgear DG834G, had developed a fault and was causing my SureSignal, which is the latest type with an in-line mains 3 pin power socket pass through, to intermittently drop out and need regular power on/off resets. I spent 10 hours elapsed time with Netgear technical support trying to open up the port forwarding on the DGND4000 router to no avail. Finally someone at Netgear support, a more senior tech level, admitted that there is a software bug in the router that causes an issue with SureSignal compatibility and that I should return the device to my reseller for a refund as they couldn't fix the issue in the near future.

I did this and having spent so much time with Netgear support I thought I'd try and set up the port forwarding on my old router, a Netgear DG834G, to see if I could get it to work without intermittently dropping out.

I achieved this and it has since been working reliably for over a week now.

The fix was relatively simple as described below:

- Give the SureSignal a static local IP address via the router LAN setup function.

- Open all inbound ports to the SureSignal's IP address via the router firewall rules setup, by default all outbound ports are open and all inbound ports are closed.

- Give everything, i.e. Router, SureSignal, PCs, etc a power reset and check that the router is correctly allocating the static IP address to the SureSignal, which can be done via the router admin console function that shows allocated IP addresses via a web browser.

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi anthonypscott,

Thanks for sharing. This information will prove invaluable to other users looking at similar issues on the same device. I've also headed this up to our Sure Signal guys so they're aware of the incompatibility.

Cheers, Ben

tonywicks434
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

For the benefit of other victims!

I too had problems with getting the VSS3 to work.   I contacted Tech Support and got to Level 2 who, in the end after many failed transfers of chats, put Rashad onto the job - who was very good.   I also use a DG834G (most reliable) and was told to set up two-way services on ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723 and 4500.   Also to assign a static IP address to the VSS3.  Lastly to reset the VSS3 with a press on the button of about 25 seconds until it happened - then release.

After doing all this, and after about 2hours, the device showed solid red and two solid white icons.  I switched on a 3G phone and the fourth icon lit.  Fantasitic: the phone showed 5 bars and it worked.  UNTIL for no reason the connected Icon went out but the five bars remained on the phone and it still seemed to work.-  difficult to tell why because although the local radiated signal varies greatly with weather and cloud it may still be why the phone was working.

The position now is five bars steady on the phone and intermittant display of the Connected icon on the VSS3 with it mostly off (the other icons are steadily on).   It looks as though I now have another long session with Vodafone to find out what is happening.

Not an easy or trouble free install.

Try to open all inbound ports to the SS IP address rather than just the ones specified, i.e. 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500.

You can do this by simply creating a firewall rule with "Any(ALL)" inbound services tothe SS IP address, the default setting will allow "Any(ALL)" services outbound from any router attached device so you shouldn't need to change the default outbound setting. Then try to power cycle the SS, when its connected you will have the Power (red), Internet (white) and Service (white) lights on the SS. The other Users light only comes on when there are one or more users actively using the SS.

My SS still does occassionally need a power cycle but it is fairly infrequent that I have to do this now and may be due to my broadband speed dropping momentarily that causes a glitch.

Anyway SS works most of the time now.