Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal V2 & BT Homehub5

lexham
4: Newbie

Just set up a new BT Homehub5 and of course, the Suresignal isn't working.  Just have the single red power light and neither of the white status lights are illuminated.

With my previous router ASUS N66-RTU and BT Openreach Modem, the Suresignal was working fine earlier today.

I didn't have to set up port forwarding or any other tweaking with this setup - it just worked within a few minutes of getting a connection.

Actions taken so far:

• Reset the Suresignal (serial number 40114258128)
  • Enabled port clamping on the Homehub5 (Advanced Settings --> Broadband --> VPN)

Update: Sunday am.

Removed HomeHub5 and replaced with Asus+Openreach modem.

Suresignal back and working within 30 mins.

The thread here seems to indicate that HH5 is compatible with VSS:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-and-BT-Home-Hub/td-p/1519302

But I'm beginning to suspect otherwise. For something that's supposed to be simple (to the end user) as a plug and play solution, it's really not delivering.

If someone from Vodafone can comment and provide the settings that need to be enabled on HH5, that would be very helpful (and perhaps make a sticky).

I love the idea of the SureSignal, but it's a very flakey implementation as it makes the user jump through so many hoops.

Is the SS3 any better or simply a different footprint?

28 REPLIES 28

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lexham, 

The BT Homehub 5 is compatible so this shouldn't cause any issues. 

Can you follow the instructions for port forwarding here to make sure everything is set up correctly? 

Let us know how you get on, 

Kay

Hello Kay,

Thanks for the response.  I've set up portforwarding on HH5 (screenshots attached)

Shutdown and then reconnected SS to HH5, but still no luck.

Fast connection speeds, but it still seems that the SS can't connect, when it was working perfectly earlier today with the alternative setup.

Any other pointers?

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lexham, 

Can you add the following ports please 

8              TCP         UDP       Unassigned  

50           TCP          UDP       Remote Mail Checking Protocol  

53           TCP          UDP       Domain Name System (DNS)  

67                           UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Server; 

68                           UDP       Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) 

123                         UDP       Network Time Protocol (NTP)—used for time synchronization  

500                         UDP       Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP)                                             

1723       TCP          UDP       Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP)  

4500                       UDP       IPSec NAT Traversal  

33434 - 33445          UDP       Traceroute for IP location check and bandwidth estimation  

If you have the option for IP SEC PASS THROUGH please make sure this is ticked. 

There should also be a MTU size, please set this to 1500. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Sure - I'll try those settings.  Thanks Kay.

Ok, all portforwarding set up as advised, connected to the HomeHub, but still no conection established via the SureSignal.

Red light on, system light and phone lights flash, then after about 10 mins, they go out, leaving me with a steady red  power light.

It's only the SureSignal that has given problems with the HH5 router, and I know that the Suresignal works perfectly well on an alternative connection setup.  It only takes a couple of minutes to obtain a connection and start working.

If there are other BT HH5 users with FTTC connections here, that have Suresignal working, would you be able to share your setup so I can see if I've missed anything. 

IP address: 87.114.119.32

Pingtest

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 07.42.11.png

Speedtest:

speedtest.png

Traceroute:

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  bthomehub (192.168.1.254)  17.542 ms  1.173 ms  1.098 ms

2  lo0-central10.pcl-ag04.plus.net (195.166.128.185)  12.453 ms  9.769 ms  10.080 ms

3  link-a-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net (212.159.2.172)  10.312 ms  12.470 ms  10.224 ms

4  xe-0-2-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net (212.159.0.204)  10.779 ms  9.531 ms  9.235 ms

5  ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.0)  15.452 ms  9.860 ms  9.867 ms

6  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  12.558 ms  13.991 ms  11.864 ms

7  85.205.116.2 (85.205.116.2)  10.957 ms  11.018 ms  11.116 ms

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

Cheers,

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lexham,  

Your speed test, ping test and traceroute are all fine and your IP address is on our whitelist.

The solid red power light you’re seeing shows that there’s no problem with the Sure Signal itself.

How close is the Sure Signal to the Home Hub?

If possible, move the two units as far as possible from each other to see if this helps.

Also, do you have the option of trying a different Ethernet cable between the Sure Signal and Home Hub?

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Bet you just love these problems  :smileyfrustrated:

Moved the SureSignal about 15 feet from the homehub, and tried a different ethernet cable.  No joy.

Steady power light, both phone/network light flash and then back to solid red.  Cycle continued for about an hour.

Then disconnected and plugged Suresignal back into Asus router.  Sure enough, I get a working 3G connection in a couple of minutes. :smileyhappy:

I have my suspicions that somewhere deep in the HomeHub settings is something that's preventing SureSignal communicating to your network, but am stumped.  Put the SureSignal in the DMZ, enabled port clamping, but no joy.

The only thing that I've not been able to check and / or amend is the MTU and IPSec settings on the Homehub5.

The Ausus router has an MTU of 1492 and works perfectly with SureSignal.

So for yesterday and today, the SureSignal has been happily connected to the Ausus router with full 3G reception across the house.  No problems making, receiving calls, texts or mail.  

I know, more fool me for using a BT Homehub, but it's a combined VDSL modem and router with great throughput, small  and has very good signal across the house.  Just a real shame it's not playing nicely with the SureSignal.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lexham,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We know that the Sure Signal does work with the Home Hub 5 as we’ve seen other customers reporting this.

Can you plug The Sure signal back into the Home Hub and leave it for a full 24 hours?

From what you’ve said it sounds like the configuration on the Home Hub hadn’t completed when you switched routers.

James

I'll give that a go James.  

Couple of questions - shall I disable all the portforwarding / portclamping settings?

Are the other HH5 users having to do further config, or is it simply working as plug and play?

If other HH5 users are seeing this working fine, maybe I just didn't give it enough time.