Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal and Vigor 120 ADSL Modem incompatibility

mdain
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Router Netgear DGFV 338 was working well with Vigor 120 Modem with reliable 5gb download speed.

A week ago, we cquired Suresignal and could not get it to work despite researching and following all the tips/hints around port set up etc (SureSignal resolutely stayed with just red light on).

Even tried a new router (Netgear R6300).  Very frustrated with many hours wasted.

Then found hint that Vigor 120 could be the root of the problem ( a post deeply buried in this forum).....put back the DGFV 338 and activated its ADSL modem and immediately the SureSignal worked.....hypothesis was that the special PPPoE to PPPoA bridge in the Vigor modem is the root of the incompatibility

Is there a (set up?) fix available for this?

If not, as a minimum, this needs to be properly publicised as a potential problem for new SureSignal purchasers

2 REPLIES 2

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

Hi mdain,

The Sure Signal device plugs in to an Ethernet port on your router, and doesn't care about transport protocols on the modem side. You need to open certain ports, and possibly allow a block of IP addresses on the router (see here: http://allegoric.us/QgTZLh) [1], otherwise the VSS can't communicate fully with the Vodafone backend. This involves a bit of mucking around in the configs, and you can eliminate the need for this by placing the VSS in the DMZ, if this option is available to you. This is what I have done, and the device has worked reliably ever since.

If, after a day (it appears it can take that long), you're still in limbo, re-post here asking for a re-sync (this will be acknowledged by one of the Vodaguys), after which you will need to do a factory re-set on the VSS (the howto for this is also in the message I linked to further up).

HTH,

Peter

[1] I'm simply referring to it as a router for the sake of brevity although, of course,it's also a modem and a firewall.

Peter

Just to confirm this, I had a Vigor 120 modem with a Vigor 2920 router working fine for nine months. For some reason it stopped working but came back when I disabled 'allow fragmented packets' on the router.