Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal and Virgian Media Superhub 2 ... Yet Again

cwhc
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a new Virgin Media Superhub 2.  My Vodafone Suresignal v3 no longer works.  I have searched all your message boards and tried what seems to be everything.  What do I do next (other than change network to find a device that works)? 

The red powerlight is on permanently.  The white internet connection light glows intermittently.  No other lights work. 

I have:

• Checked the ethernet connection cables all work 
  • Set Firewall protection to ‘Low’ 
  • Enabled IP SEC Pass-Through 
  • Enabled DHCP
  • Reserved the IP address 192.168.0.3 to the Vodafone SureSignal 
  • Forwarded Ports 8, 50, 53 for that IP address using TCP&UDP
  • Forwarded Ports 67, 68, 123, 500, 4500, 33434 .. 33445 for that IP address using UDP
  • Rebooted router
  • Reset and rebooted SureSignal
  • Repeated the above two steps every 48 hours for a week

I have an internet connection speed of 160Mb down and 12Mb up if I connect my PC direct to the router.  Interestingly, perhaps, if I connect through the SureSignal the download speed drops to 94Mb. 

My Ping is 8ms 

My IP is 86.20.222.171

Tracert

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]

2    23 ms     8 ms     9 ms  10.233.192.1

3     7 ms     8 ms     7 ms  croy-core-2a-ae7-631.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.231.9]

4    19 ms    10 ms     9 ms  brnt-bb-1a-ae9-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.226.1]

5    16 ms     8 ms    30 ms  brnt-bb-2a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.97]

6     9 ms     8 ms    13 ms  brnt-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.102]

7    22 ms    15 ms    15 ms  195.2.9.149

8    14 ms    16 ms    15 ms  ae15-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.30.114]

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Suresignal serial number is 40132212701

This is incredibly frustrating and time-consuming.  Help appreciated.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Retired-Simon
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwhc,

When was the last time the Sure Signal worked?

The serial number for that Sure Signal shows as last connected on 18 December 2013.

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon

Good question.  I thought it was still working in March when the Virgin Router was replaced with the new superspeed version.  It hasn't worked since then ... but it's taken me until now to find the time to try to sort it out.  And time it certainly takes!

Rgds

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwhc,

I’ve re-synced your Sure Signal today so please complete this process by performing a factory reset as follows:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Thanks

Ian

Thank you, Ian_C.  It's now working.  Brilliant

Could I pick up on one question implicit in my initial posting?  

Does the SureSignal attenuate the passthrough broadband signal?  

My new Virgin hub delivers a remarkable 160Mb/sec download speed and 12Mb/sec upload speed.  However, when I introduce the SureSignal into the line from hub/router to PC (i.e. a cable from router/hub to SureSignal, then cable from SureSignal to PC), the download speed drops to around 90Mb/sec.  

Is that because the SureSignal can't passthrough at speeds greater than 100Mb/sec?  Or is something else going on?  

Rgds

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwhc,

It's great to see the Sure Signal is now working :).

If you’re using the internet a lot, it could impact on your Sure Signal’s performance, like using your phone while downloading large files or online gaming. 

Thanks,

Sukhi

Thank you, Sukhi, but that's not the question I asked.  

You have said that use of the internet can affect the SureSignal's performance.  I understand that.  

My question is whether the Sure Signal affects internet performance.  Routing my internet through the SureSignal (with nothing else going on (i.e. no internet use other than a speedtest, and no phone use) seems to reduce my internet performance.  Should this be the case?

Rgds

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwhc,

The Sure Signal shouldn’t affect internet performance.

Do you mean that when you connect your Sure Signal to your router and switch it on, your download speed drops?

Thanks,

Andy

That's right. When I connect my PC through the SureSignal the maximum download speed drops. It seems that the SureSignal has a max transmission speed through it. Is that right.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cwhc,

When the Sure Signal’s in use, it will affect the speeds that you get compared to when it’s not in use.

This is because it’s using some of the bandwidth, however it shouldn’t affect your normal use.

If you’re using Vodafone Mobile Broadband via the Sure Signal and not your home broadband, this will be slower as you’re using the mobile network.

Thanks,

Jenny