Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal does not work with BT Infinity

TSPlowright
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Your Twitter support group asked me to post here for help with this issue: 

I have a SureSignal (SS) version 3 which worked perfectly while with Sky on standard broadband. I then switched to BT (HomeHub 4) last summer (August) and the SS stopped working. I tried all of the port forwarding etc with no luck and eventually I was told that it was probably a speed issue (3mb up and 0.6mb down). I had just found out Infinity was due in my area so I waited several months while that was installed. 

In December I finally went live on Inifnity and now have a steady 38mb up and 9mb down. The SS still doesn't work. I now have the HomeHub 5 as I am on a Fibre to the Property (FTTP) line. I have tried setting up the port forwarding and tried placing the SS in the 'DMZ', none of which works. I was then finally told by Technical Support that the SS doesn't work when pppoe security is in place. This is unavoidable on Fibre lines (so I am told) so was terminal, or so I thought. 

When I complained to the Twitter help group and they assured me that the SS does work with pppoe, sometimes. They asked me to post here for help. I have tried this before, but not been able to find a fix...

The SS has a steady power light and flashing 'internet' light which periodically goes off then comes back on (still slowly flashing).  It does this forever, six months and counting...

I have no intention of buying new equipment to get the SS working. If it does not work soon I will seek a full refund and cancel all contracts with Vodafone. I am immensely fed up.

19 REPLIES 19

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt

The troubleshooting guide is no use ot me, not least becasue it doesn't seem aware of the problem I am experiencing. 

Speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3312443226 (0ms Ping, 25.85Mbps Up, 10.39Mbps Down)

Ping = [URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/93482801.png[/IMG][/URL] (Ping 24ms, Jitter - 2ms)

External IP = 81.129.72.110

Serial Number = 40131011351

Trace Route = 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\tim_p>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 7 ms 4 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 7 ms 6 ms 5 ms 172.16.14.132
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms 217.41.216.29
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 213.120.176.42
6 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 217.41.168.217
7 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 217.41.168.109
8 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms acc2-10GigE-0-1-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.249.222]
9 12 ms 15 ms 15 ms core2-te0-0-0-17.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
249.135]
10 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms peer1-xe8-1-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.191]
11 16 ms 15 ms 14 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
12 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 85.205.116.2
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I look forwards to help resolving the issue...

Tim

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Hi Tim,

There are a number of threads around with questions from people using infinity alongside the bt supplied home hub.

Without looking I can't say for sure what the answer is, but am pretty sure that people have got it working.

It's a issue with the router not allowing the secure traffic from the suresignal through to the servers, and is why you see the constantly retrying flashing light.

As it worked fine with sky (that is another provider that sometimes has oddly configured routers) it should just mean finding the correct option on your new hardware to make things work.

Hopefully the technical team will be able to help with this, it may be a quick and easy fix or something that is still being researched and worked on.

Other users on FTTP/FTTC connections with different hardware using PPPoE are working fine, so wouldn't take that as an excuse...

Hopefully you will be back up and running soon... If your old ADSL line was still working, i'd have suggested using the Sky router with the BT Broadband login credentals as a short term fix.

Thanks grolschuk, but the old line is dead and buried. I haven't found a thread with anyone experiencing my issue, with my set-up, so the solutions have generally not been suitable. It is essential that this is fixed soon though, my wife is literally going to freak out if we can't use our mobiles at home for much longer. I know there are VOIP type apps etc available, but that isn't the point. We switcvhed to Vodafione purely for the SS, without it we will go elsewhere. 

I find it hugely frustrating that someone in Vodafone Technical Support would directly tell me that SS doesn't work with pppoe when various others claim it does. 

When should I expect further contact, and will it be in the forum or will someone call me?

Tim

grolschuk

Matt's initial question was to get the base data before the tech team get here.

They try to answer things in the order they are posted, and usualy run 12-24 hours after a question has been asked.

It will be a post on here, and if they need to get into your account they will send a private message with a link and instructions on how to send the more sensitive data to them... They can then call you if needed.

On other makes of router I'd suggest making sure the VPN Passthrough option for IPSec was enabled (or disabled depending on the router) but not sure if this is availalbe on the BT Hub, mabye take a look around the Firewall or VPN sections of the interface if such places exist.

Thanks again grolschuk, the only reference I can find to VPN offers the facility to activate 'port clamping', which I have seen mentioned in other solutions (and tried myself). It is active anyway. 

Let's see what I get when the Tech support team arrive...

grolschuk

If it came enabled you could always try to disable it, can't help by try if it has been mentioned elsewhere :Winking_smiley:

After the status change, reboot the suresignal... if it's a SSv2 then press and hold the reset button on the back, and carry on holding while you count to 10, remove the power, count to 10, reinsert the power, wait for the lights to flash, then release reset.

If a v3 then just press and hold reset for 30 seconds

Hi TSPlowright,

Thanks for posting and to grolschuk for the help.:smileytongue:

Everything looks fine with the set up apart from the registration.

I'd like you to deregister it, wait 60 minutes then register it again.

Also make sure that the ethernet cable is in the yellow ethernet cable port.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Ian

Hello Ian_c

I have tried that an hour ago, still not working but I guess I need to wait the obligatory 24hrs?

I will let you know tomorrow

Tim