Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal not connecting today

dgcalvert
2: Seeker

Sure Signal has been working fine without interruption for 2 months, but failed to produce a 3G signal this morning, though the red light and first 2 white lights were lit as per usual.

I have done a couple of power off reboots, followed by a hard reset on it twice today, as per instructions on Vodafone web site, but it is failing to register and connect. Currently sat with red light on, and the first white light flashing. Has been like this for a couple of hours.

Broadband IP: 80.80.177.46

SureSignal IP: as expected on local private LAN

S/N: 42143909150

Broadband speed test: as per normal

No firewall blocks in place (unrestricted outgoing traffic)

Help please.

Thanks.

Geoff

9 REPLIES 9

dgcalvert

Now showing red light, with lights 1 and 3 solid amber.

Geoff

No response from Vodafone, but did they reset anything overnight?

I reset the SureSignal last night - still failed to connect, eventually going to flashing red with solid amber on 1 and 3, but after power cycling the SureSignal yet again this morning, connection has resumed.

During all this time, broadband was working as normal, so unlikely to be anything at my end.

Geoff

It's gone again - can anyone from Vodafone help here?

Found this morning that the SureSignal V3 unit is showing solid red, solid white on 1 and 2 (i.e. normal operating mode) but phones are not getting a 3G signal.

Failure twice in 4 days!

Network speed is as normal (1GB each way) and Sure Signal unit has worked fine with no problem for 2 months since moving here.

Hi @dgcalvert 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Laura

oracle1
4: Newbie

Same for me - not working yesterday afternoon - when my son was desperately trying to call me whilst on a school trip - resulting in my wife being stressed out for two hours, and not working this morning when I need it for work. Eventually started working again around lunchtime.

(Power light on - white lights flashing, even after power resets and lots of waiting)

[do not want to hijack this thread for the poster, so will not repost much, but is there a service outage as asked, and could you answer Q1 & Q2 please)?

Meanwhile the equivalent box from another network, supplied by NEC, works just fine, on the same 10Mbps ADSL phone line, so it is not a line problem.

Q1: Where do I look to see scheduled SureSignal service outages?

Q2: Is there any way to monitor my Suresignal's connectivity state, other than by standing and looking at it 24x7x365? 🙂
I want to see how many outages I get rather than finding out at critical moments.

Update -- no it is not working again now. Has been OK 90%+ of the time for 6 months.

Then failed to connect at all so switched phone lines to see if that helped, which it did for a while, then received texts telling me that I had moved my SureSignal (had just changed lines not location) so switched it back, was OK for a while and now nothing usable since Saturday.

Thanks

Mine is working again now but, as noted in Post 1, I had already looked at the troubleshooting tips on the web site, and posted much of the information that was requested in the first response I had received to this thread (4 days after the original request for help). After 30 years in IT systems management, I know when the broadband connection is working correctly, and when it is a device problem.

Given that Vodafone appear to recommend using this forum for technical support, I would have hoped for a quicker response.

I agree with the other enquirer that some means of checking for known outages, and more detail of connections from /by my SureSignal unit on the web dashboard would help self-diagnose such problems.

Geoff

Yes, I have 28 years as a consultant in IT too.

I've had three SureSignals at two addresses.

I had poor reliability at both locations, but eventually discovered that SureSignals do not appreciate having ADSL FastPath enabled where Interleaved would otherwise be the default. Fastpath was enabled for me because it gave me a heady 3Mbps download on a long line from the exchange. Everything worked fine with it including corporate VPN, but not SureSignal.

I discovered this eventually, when I changed my ADSL subscription (same ISP) and the profile was reset to interleaved - all of a sudden SureSignal was reliable at that location and has been since.

At the other location (where I am now) Fastpath is enabled by default, and my SS2 has been happy for months. All of a sudden now, for the last few days my SS2 won't synch.

As I said the NEC manufactured SureSignal equivalent from another network works just fine on the same line.

I've done a full reset on my SS2 which is said to give connection within an hour ... but it hasn't.

I'll try switching lines again, and more resets.

Over the years I reckon I must have wasted 15 days+ on diagnosing SureSignal problems.

At my other location my SS2 never auto-syncs after a power cut - presumably because the router is not ready when it reboots, and it does not retry - I have to manually unplug and replug, at which point it can take up to 3 hours to synch ...

If this all fails again then I'll go through the template completion process again and repost, I guess I should have kept a copy from the previous occasions, but you do lose the will to keep battling with the system after a while ...

SS2 now staying connected, after three attempts at full reset last night. So now OK for the moment after an unexplained 30 hour outage, during which time it would either not connect at all or not stay connected.

I have no idea why such a full manual reset should be necessary after SureSignal has been working 90%+ of the time for months - is there a page somewhere that notifies us of planned outages or the need for resets, so that we don't find out the hard way?

Thanks

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I’m glad to hear your Sure Signal’s are working again.

We don’t have a page available to check for outages.

If you face issues in the future, please let us know.

Thanks,

Gemma