Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal not working with owner's phone but works for others

JeremyGelber
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've got 2 SureSignal devices (the version 2 ones, not the new smaller variety) and recently upgraded my phone to an iPhone 5 which meant I needed a new nano SIM.

Since doing that, I've been unable to connect to either SureSignal device despite going through the "Reset Network Settings" process, resetting the devices themselves, and speaking to the helpdesk to re-sync my SIM number with the devices.

The SureSignals themselves work fine because my wife's phone connects just fine and both lights on the devices turn on when she receives a call, plus she has 5 bars reception. I have zero or 1 bar (at best) reception. Previously they worked just fine with my old iPhone 4, and none of my internet settings have changed so that isn't the issue.

Is someone able to help me with this please? I can't add my own phone number to the system because I'm the owner, and yet it appears the SIM card issue means I'm not being correctly associated with my devices despite the helpdesk apparently making sure everything is working.

Thanks,

Jeremy

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:
Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

That was a fairly disappointing reply, since I've already told you that the devices DO work with my wife's phone so the speed and ping tests aren't relevant.

However, just for your amusement here are the results:

Download: 25Mbps

Upload: 5Mbps

Ping:16ms

Packet Loss: 0%

Jitter: 1ms

External IP: 86.148.178.73

Traceroute results:

F:\Users\Jeremy>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    11 ms     6 ms     7 ms  10.68.216.1
  3     8 ms     7 ms     9 ms  hari-core-2a-ae3-617.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.255.13]
  4     8 ms     8 ms     7 ms  brnt-bb-1a-ae8-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.16.201]
  5     7 ms    11 ms     8 ms  brnt-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.30]
  6    20 ms    11 ms    13 ms  brhm-bb-1c-ae8-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.126]
  7     *       16 ms    17 ms  tcl5-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250.15.210]
  8    27 ms    30 ms    31 ms  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
  9    27 ms    26 ms    26 ms  85.205.116.2
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

The serial numbers of the devices are 40110555451 and 40113173609.

To re-iterate, both devices DO work with my wife's Vodafone Blackberry Q10 but they don't work with my iPhone 5 although they DID work with my iPhone 4. The ONLY thing that has changed is the phone and SIM card combination, previously everything worked just fine.

Hi JeremyGelber,

The reason I pointed you to the troubleshooting was this thread.

Within the troubleshooting there is a reference to whether you've recently changed SIM, which is the case here.

Not to worry. I now have the VSS serial numbers which you didn't give us in your first post.

I've forced a resync of both Sure Signals. Please factory reset to complete the process.

Thanks,

LeeH

That doesn't seem to have done anything; I reset both devices, and after various sequences of flashing they now only have one light on (so they aren't emitting a 3G signal) and I've got 2 bar signal when right next to them.

Despite having signal, if I call my number from a landline it goes straight to voicemail.

Are you 100% sure that my correct SIM has been assigned to these devices? A nano SIM was ordered for me but never turned up so I had to go to a Vodafone store and get one, I'm concerned that the original SIM number has somehow been used and now we can't change it.

I can give you my SIM number if you want although I don't know if that's a security risk in an open forum.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi JeremyGelber,

Similar to the other posts on the link LeeH supplied, de-registering and re-registering the Sure Signal is the quickest way to get a SIM swapped number to work again.

If you'd like my team to check your SIM details, you're right not to post them in a public forum like this. I've sent instructions on how to reach my team more securely here. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

I've replied to the PM and sent through the details.

I transferred ownership of the Sure Signal to my wife, removed myself completely from the Users list, waited 2 hours, then added myself back.

I've got 0 or 1 bar of signal.... actually it currently says "No Service" on it. So I'm guessing that didn't work either.