Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal v2 - 2 lights constantly flashing

Nige1975
3: Seeker

Hello,

I'm suffering from the problem where my Suresignal v2 has 2 lights flashing constantly (the one which looks like a signal strength meter and the other which has a mobile picture), power light is always on.

The problem which I suffered from originally was that the Suresignal looked ok (power light on, signal light on, mobile light off) however when making a call on my mobile, it was as if it wasn't connected to the Suresignal as call quality was poor and also breaking up.  Intermittently both lights would flash, this was usually resolved by a Suresignal and/or router restart.

I called yourselves and I was informed that the Suresignal was de-registered, the technician registered the device and we also went through the reset process (hold in reset button for 30 seconds, remove power then plug power back in).  Once this process was undertaken, the lights continued to flash, they never went static (apart from the power).

I contacted Vodafone again using on-line chat and again I beleive the device was re-registered but again the lights continue to flash.

In desparation I called again and spoke to an analyst who went through some basic troubleshooting steps and this time we replaced the ethernet cable, this made no difference.  I also set up port forwarding on the router in case this was an issue but this has made no difference.

The Suresignal has been left for days in the hope that it would spring to life but it never has.

Can you help at all?  I have performed the various tests required and the results are here:

The issue you’re experiencing:
Constant flashing lights

What light sequence you're seeing:

Static power, other 2 constantly flash

Your speed test results from here.
Ping - 39mS
Download Speed - 5.92 Mbps
Upload speed - 0.35 Mbps

Your external IP address from here.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

The results of a traceroute.

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 21 ms 24 ms 25 ms lo0-central10.pcl-ag08.plus.net [195.166.128.189]
3 22 ms 22 ms 21 ms link-a-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net [212.159.2.188]
4 26 ms 20 ms 20 ms xe-9-1-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net [212.159.0.220]
5 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.0]
6 23 ms 22 ms 23 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
7 24 ms 21 ms 23 ms 85.205.0.93
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi nige 1975,

Despite the fact that your power light is stable, you could possibly have a degraded power supply lead. But at this stage I couldn't be sure enough to say replace it.

If you have a 12V power unit that you borrow with at least a 1A capacity with the correct 5.5mm plug it would be a good way to confirm it.

The typical uses for such a unit are mains powered external drives, printers, monitor power units etc.etc.

Regards,

Mike.

View solution in original position

20 REPLIES 20

cineriv

Hi Nige1975,

Did you try my suggestion that I posted on 2nd. November?..... There is a good chance that is your problem.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

sorry I didn't as I didn't notice your post.

I have the SS back now plugged into my own broadband connection with an alternative PSU.

I'll let you know the outcome.  I know my BB connections is ok.

Thanks

Well, I am most impressed.

I did what you suggested Mike and the device is now working fine with the replacement PSU.  The PSU I used is from a netgear switch which provides 12v DC 1.2A output.

Pretty dissappointed that Vodafone never suggested this.  Much cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

Thanks again.

cineriv

@Nige1975 wrote:

The PSU I used is from a netgear switch which provides 12v DC 1.2A output.

Hi Nige1975,

That's really good to hear and I glad it worked for you.

@Your PSU proved the point and it will keep you going for some time, but it is running on maximum demand @1.2 A which the SS draws when fully operational, so could I suggest that you obtain the correct PSU which is a 1.5 or 2 Amp unit. (I prefer the 2 Amp unit myself)

New PSU's can be obtained from Ebay or Amazon and only cost around £10 -12 including delivery.

Just search each site for 'sure signal power supply'.

Some the units are 2 Amp, but are advertised as 1.5 Amp.

Regards,

Mike.

Excellent information again Mike, how is it that you know all of this?  Have you connected an ammeter to identify current drawn?

When the device typically requires 1.2A, why is the stock PSU rated at 1A?  Is this bad labelleing or is the PSU designed to operate at 1A and 1.2A peak?  

If the latter it sounds like quality of product has been sacrifised for minimal cost benefit.

Thanks

cineriv

Hi Nige,

I didn't personally measure the current drawn, but a colleague did and produced this information ...
"During the power-up/sync process, the SureSignal becomes very power hungry and the current drawn from the PSU a may rise to around 1.1a to 1.2a for a prolonged period. After a number of years (these units will now be around 4 years old) the power supplies simply give up. Some go short and will not power up at all, others will go lazy and not deliver the full current required. The replacement PSU needs to be 12 volt and 1.5 amp output minimum. It uses a 2.5mm female plug to put into the unit itself. You can get power supplies that are rated with a higher current output, but it cannot be below 1.5 amp (1500mA)."

Although this info refers to the V1 SS, they are very similar to the V2 and the PSU is exactly the same.

I am aware that some of the original PSU's were rated at 1A which is a nominal rating and are quite happy being run at 1.2A, but it's like running an engine at full revs for a period af time, sooner or later something has to give!

This is why I prefer the 2A version, it's running at a comfortable state with less component stress, and also take into account that most Sure Signals are running 24/7 continuously.

My information is gained by previous electronic knowledge and spending the last year or so trying to convince (mainly V1) users that their problem could  be a PSU failure and to try replacing it ... (I would rather spend £10 than £100), hence that's why I have almost 600 posts.

If the latter it sounds like quality of product has been sacrifised for minimal cost benefit"  ..... yep, I would agree with that!  :smileywink:

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Nig thansk for the reset it worked fine, and now works a treat thanks

Norm24

Hi all, I've been having issues with my SS V2 ... has worked fine over the last few years.  My wife's iphone 5s, when added didn't have access.  Worked through various tests with telephone support to no avail.  De-registered SS on my Vodafone account and re-registered on my wife's Vf account ... the 5S had access but my 6S didn't!  Tried resetting / turning off several times ... no joy.  The problem now was that I had continuous flashing lights.  Power light steady other two lights flashing together.  Has been like this for over a week.  Bought a new PSU just in case ... no difference.

People seem to have success when the account is re-synced by the help team.  Could I request this ?

SpeedTest 74.6 down / 5.13 up / Ping 19ms / IP 82.3.245.67

Tracert:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.17 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  belf-core-2b-xe-133-0.network.virginmedia.net [8
2.30.129.53]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    16 ms    17 ms    21 ms  nrth-ic-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.
42.218]
  8    20 ms    19 ms    30 ms  m674-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.162
]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10    19 ms    19 ms    20 ms  84.116.135.42
 11    21 ms    42 ms    18 ms  213.46.174.130
 12    19 ms    19 ms    20 ms  ae32-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.24.126]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Serial No. 40111627150

Best Regards,  Norman

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Norm24 I've resynced your Vodafone Sure Signal to help resolve your issue. 

Please allow up to 6 hours before your device regains connection. 

If you're having trouble after this, please let us know. 

Thanks Rahim.  First noticed just one light beside the red power light flashing. Now both phones now showing full signal and accessing the SureSignal. Excellent.  Thank You!