Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal v2 unable to connect (only power light lit) - PlusNet Fibre

stephensont
4: Newbie

Hi, we have a problem with our SureSignal v2 connected via Plusnet fibre/fttc.

The unit's been working fine for weeks through our BT Home Hub 5 with all the defaults set (so no port clamping / no specific port forwarding etc) but following switching our broadband over to FTTC yesterday, now doesn't seem able to connect.   Our IP address hasn't changed (static), neither has our ISP (Plusnet), router or local network.

The SureSignal only has its red power light lit - no other lights are on. We've tried resetting it & power cycling, most recently a couple of hours ago.  I've also now tried enabling port clamping for VPNs on our router & setting up port forwarding with the list of SureSignal ports... no change.

Anyone able to help? From other threads it sounds like it might need remotely resynching or something similar?

SureSignal serial: 40114212224

Speed Test: 38Mbs down, 8Mbs up

Ping Test:  http://www.pingtest.net/result/113263964.png

External IP: 80.229.27.61

Traceroute: 

timstephenson@MacBook-Pro ~ $ traceroute 212.183.133.177

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  bthomehub (192.168.100.254)  1.832 ms  1.993 ms  1.622 ms

2  lo0.11.central11.ptn-bng01.plus.net (195.166.128.229)  11.802 ms  12.250 ms  12.330 ms

3  irb.11.ptw-cr02.plus.net (84.93.249.18)  12.312 ms  40.274 ms

irb.11.ptw-cr01.plus.net (84.93.249.17)  11.756 ms

4  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.4)  41.649 ms  12.543 ms

lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  13.998 ms

5  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  15.617 ms  14.636 ms  15.023 ms

6  * * 85.205.0.93 (85.205.0.93)  19.855 ms

7  * * *

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

11  * * *

12  * * *

13  * * *

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, after all the troubleshooting steps and messing around trying to get the HomeHub5 working with a SureSignal v2, I gave up yesterday and bought a replacement router (Billion BiPac 8800AXL).

Today, I connected the new router replacing the HomeHub5, and I'd finished configuring it; plugged in and powered up the SureSignal. Without any further effort or specific configuration on the router, the SS fired up and began configuring itself (both white lights flashing together). About 20 minutes later, this finished and the SS came online and is now fully up and running.

No port forwarding rules; no firewall changes; no VPN port clamping / fixed port settings...  Nothing other than plugging the SS in and switching on.

Based on all of my amassed technical expertise to date, the only conclusion I can really draw is that the SureSignal v2 simply DOES NOT WORK with a BT HomeHub 5 Type A (on a PPPoE FTTC connection to PlusNet at any rate). Whether this is different if you use an Openreach FTTC modem connecting the HH5 via ethernet, I can't comment. We're using the HH5's built in VDSL modem for a one-box solution, and despite now having wasted probably 2-3 days total effort - cannot get it to work.

The BiPAC 8800AXL however (and I'd imagine this goes for other VDSL wifi router too, but haven't tested them personally) just works. 

So, in summary, if you are struggling to get a SureSignal v2 working with FTTC and a HomeHub5; save yourself a load of pain and buy a different router. The Billion works well for us :Smiling: 

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @stephensont 

The last connection date for your Sure Signal is showing on 22 December at 10:33 and a location change.

If you can try a different Ethernet cable, please perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi @Sarah, thanks for replying.

Can you check to see if our SS has reconnected since the 22nd please? No change at our end and the unit's still sat with just the power light lit despite several resets now. We also left it unplugged for most of the 25/26th to see if that might help - but no joy. 

I have now completed another reset using the process you've outlined and have also replaced the supplied 2-wire ethernet cable with a known-good cable.

I've also logged into our Vodafone account [Removed in line with House Rules] to try and update the unit's location, and although we're shown as an administrator on both units associated with the account, we don't have any option to amend / update the location. We also don't have any option to deregister the unit as would otherwise try deregistering & reregistering. Can this be sorted please?

Also, the unit's postcode hasn't actually changed - can someone update the account for us?

We've tried enabling and disbaling Port Clamping on our router (BT HH 5 connected via FTTC to Plusnet); and also tried connecting with and without specific port-forwarding rules in place.  None of this seems to make any difference.

Any suggestions, other than looking at exiting our Vodafone contract and switching to EE - whose Boost Box device just works?

Thanks

Is this some sort of issue affecting various v2 devices? My issue sounds very similar to this one: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-not-working/td-p/2331257

Some sort of response from Vodafone would be very useful today please. We've had this issue since 22nd Dec with no sign of life from the unit yet. Our internet connection is fine. The router's not changed. Our ISP or external IP hasn't changed. We've not moved the unit... it was working fine prior to the 22nd.  We've even changed ethernet cables on the offchance it might make a difference. 

The SS is essential for us unfortunately - there is next to no Vodafone network coverage in our area and both my wife and I rely on our mobiles for work. Given the lack of useful response unless we can get this resolved ASAP there's very little reason for us to remain with Vodafone as you clearly cannot provide the service we pay for; either via a working network, or a usable signal booster.

There is no way on earth I'm going to commit another £100 to buying a replacement SureSignal box on the offchance it might work better than this one, so if you can't offer some meaningful troubleshooting steps or advice to get this working, perhaps someone can get back to us with a contract buy-out cost for the mobile number (appropriately adjusted to reflect that we can't actually use the service we pay you for) on the account associated with this SS so that we can take our contract & business to a network that actually works?

Thank you

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@stephensont 

The location change which has been detected both eerlier and since, may be a small change made by your ISP.

I've reset this and cleared any errors that may have been lurking in the background.

On the BT HomeHub 5 there's a setting called Smart Setup, please disable this as the Sure Signal will not function.

The red power light alone indicates a connection or port issue so please ensure the following ports are open:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

DaveCD

@DaveCD

Thanks for your reply.

We have Smart Setup disabled on the HH5, and although UPNP always seemed to be able to handle the SureSignal without issue in the past have re-added (added & removed these several times for testing already) a set of manual port-forwarding rules as per the ports outlined in your reply & assigned them to the SureSignal (screen grab attached of the config FYI).

There isn't any form of IP white or blacklisting in use on our network.

I've now reset the unit again, and at the moment it has both white lights flashing together along with a steady power light. The network port seems to suggest activity but I can't get anything more specific from the HH5.

Can you check whether it's registered / connected to your servers / is configuring or something similar...?

Will let you know whether anything changes over the next hour or two. If this doesn't work, is it worth getting it de-registered and us re-registering it? 

Thanks, Tim

Well, the glimmer of optimism didn't last long.

After about 5 minutes of both lights flashing, it's now reverted back to a steady power light only.

Just tried again with another reset. The two white lights flashed together for about 10 minutes, and then reverted once again to having just the power light lit.

May have mentioned it earlier, but if not, we've also enabled port clamping for VPN connections.

Is it worth trying to deregister the SS? Have had a look in our account to see if we can do this but there doesn't seem to be any means of deregistering the unit. All we can see when logged in is options to view the "dashboard" or manage users.

Hi @stephensont 

You can find help on how to deregister the Sure Signal here.

Thanks,

Sarah