Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal v2 unable to connect (only power light lit) - PlusNet Fibre

stephensont
4: Newbie

Hi, we have a problem with our SureSignal v2 connected via Plusnet fibre/fttc.

The unit's been working fine for weeks through our BT Home Hub 5 with all the defaults set (so no port clamping / no specific port forwarding etc) but following switching our broadband over to FTTC yesterday, now doesn't seem able to connect.   Our IP address hasn't changed (static), neither has our ISP (Plusnet), router or local network.

The SureSignal only has its red power light lit - no other lights are on. We've tried resetting it & power cycling, most recently a couple of hours ago.  I've also now tried enabling port clamping for VPNs on our router & setting up port forwarding with the list of SureSignal ports... no change.

Anyone able to help? From other threads it sounds like it might need remotely resynching or something similar?

SureSignal serial: 40114212224

Speed Test: 38Mbs down, 8Mbs up

Ping Test:  http://www.pingtest.net/result/113263964.png

External IP: 80.229.27.61

Traceroute: 

timstephenson@MacBook-Pro ~ $ traceroute 212.183.133.177

traceroute to 212.183.133.177 (212.183.133.177), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  bthomehub (192.168.100.254)  1.832 ms  1.993 ms  1.622 ms

2  lo0.11.central11.ptn-bng01.plus.net (195.166.128.229)  11.802 ms  12.250 ms  12.330 ms

3  irb.11.ptw-cr02.plus.net (84.93.249.18)  12.312 ms  40.274 ms

irb.11.ptw-cr01.plus.net (84.93.249.17)  11.756 ms

4  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net (195.166.129.4)  41.649 ms  12.543 ms

lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  13.998 ms

5  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net (195.66.224.124)  15.617 ms  14.636 ms  15.023 ms

6  * * 85.205.0.93 (85.205.0.93)  19.855 ms

7  * * *

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

11  * * *

12  * * *

13  * * *

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, after all the troubleshooting steps and messing around trying to get the HomeHub5 working with a SureSignal v2, I gave up yesterday and bought a replacement router (Billion BiPac 8800AXL).

Today, I connected the new router replacing the HomeHub5, and I'd finished configuring it; plugged in and powered up the SureSignal. Without any further effort or specific configuration on the router, the SS fired up and began configuring itself (both white lights flashing together). About 20 minutes later, this finished and the SS came online and is now fully up and running.

No port forwarding rules; no firewall changes; no VPN port clamping / fixed port settings...  Nothing other than plugging the SS in and switching on.

Based on all of my amassed technical expertise to date, the only conclusion I can really draw is that the SureSignal v2 simply DOES NOT WORK with a BT HomeHub 5 Type A (on a PPPoE FTTC connection to PlusNet at any rate). Whether this is different if you use an Openreach FTTC modem connecting the HH5 via ethernet, I can't comment. We're using the HH5's built in VDSL modem for a one-box solution, and despite now having wasted probably 2-3 days total effort - cannot get it to work.

The BiPAC 8800AXL however (and I'd imagine this goes for other VDSL wifi router too, but haven't tested them personally) just works. 

So, in summary, if you are struggling to get a SureSignal v2 working with FTTC and a HomeHub5; save yourself a load of pain and buy a different router. The Billion works well for us :Smiling: 

View solution in original position

28 REPLIES 28

Hi @sarah

We don't have an option to deregister it on our account - as per my last message:

"is it worth trying to deregister the SS? Have had a look in our account to see if we can do this but there doesn't seem to be any means of deregistering the unit. All we can see when logged in is options to view the "dashboard" or manage users."

Our account seems to be shown as being in the "Administrator" role rather than the "Owner" role suggested in the video you linked to?

Next steps...? Looks like we can't do this ourselves?

Tim

Hi @stephensont 

I’ve sent you a private message here, on how to get in touch with us.

There’s also our Live help available here, for an immediate help with this.

Thanks,

Sarah

Well, after all the troubleshooting steps and messing around trying to get the HomeHub5 working with a SureSignal v2, I gave up yesterday and bought a replacement router (Billion BiPac 8800AXL).

Today, I connected the new router replacing the HomeHub5, and I'd finished configuring it; plugged in and powered up the SureSignal. Without any further effort or specific configuration on the router, the SS fired up and began configuring itself (both white lights flashing together). About 20 minutes later, this finished and the SS came online and is now fully up and running.

No port forwarding rules; no firewall changes; no VPN port clamping / fixed port settings...  Nothing other than plugging the SS in and switching on.

Based on all of my amassed technical expertise to date, the only conclusion I can really draw is that the SureSignal v2 simply DOES NOT WORK with a BT HomeHub 5 Type A (on a PPPoE FTTC connection to PlusNet at any rate). Whether this is different if you use an Openreach FTTC modem connecting the HH5 via ethernet, I can't comment. We're using the HH5's built in VDSL modem for a one-box solution, and despite now having wasted probably 2-3 days total effort - cannot get it to work.

The BiPAC 8800AXL however (and I'd imagine this goes for other VDSL wifi router too, but haven't tested them personally) just works. 

So, in summary, if you are struggling to get a SureSignal v2 working with FTTC and a HomeHub5; save yourself a load of pain and buy a different router. The Billion works well for us :Smiling: 

I moved from anothe ISP ADSL service to Plusnet Fibre on the 30th December.For about 2 years the Suresignal has worked almost faultlessly with only the occasional need for a reset. I am using the same router (Draytek 2820vn) but now running PPPOE through BT DSL modem rather than ADSL so no change to NAT, firewall, ports etc. Since moving to Plusnet Fibre I've had one flashing LED on my Suresignal V1. I have done a hard reset and also deregistered and then re-registered the Suresignal.Dashboard says that it is "active". Unfortunately no change with single LED flashing.

Your speed test results from here. - 32Mb down, 8Mb up

Your ping test results from here - 16ms 

Your external IP address from here - 37.152.231.84

The results of a traceroute - 

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.60.1
2 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms lo0.10.central10.pcl-bng03.plus.net [195.166.130
.164]
3 14 ms 14 ms 13 ms irb.10.PCL-CR02.plus.net [84.93.249.82]
4 19 ms 14 ms 14 ms ae2.pcl-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.6]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms ae1.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.0]
6 17 ms 15 ms 16 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
7 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms 85.205.0.86
8 * * * Request timed out.

Your Sure Signal serial number - 21230225613

I'm guessing that it probably needs resetting from your end after the change of ISP?

Many thanks for your help.

Martin

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @mwevans 

Your IP address and trace are fine.

The Sure Signal hasn't hit our servers since 31 December though.

Please try a different Ethernet cable and make sure the following ports are open for forwarding:

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

On checking my router I saw that I hadn't changed the uPNP setting for the DSL (vs ADSL) WAN connection. Done this and now show WAN sessions on Suresignal IP address. But still only got single flashing LED on box.

Could you check to see if you can see the connection at your end and if there is anything else that needs fixing?

Thanks

Martin 

Hi @mwevans

Thanks for this information.

We’ll need to take a look at the Vodafone Sure Signal.

If you can pop into any Vodafone store we can make sure that the power lead is working and just check everything is ok with the device itself.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura,

I understand that you are going through a troubleshooting checklist and that Suresignal V1 is now an old device but in terms of probabilities - the Suresignal was working fine up to the point that I switched from ADSL to fibre. You last saw Suresignal on 31st - day of switch. It is more likely that there is a configuration issue than a coincidental hardware failure?

When I look at my router log I see thaty Suresignal is setting up sessions on port 500 and then port 4500 (ipsec). It exchanges data with your systems (ip address 212.183.131.131 which is traced to cluster8.vap.vodafone.co.uk). So I imagine that your system should be seeing my Suresignal again? 

Have you reset the Suresignal at your end?

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi @mwevans

Just double checking the information that you’ve sent.

I can see that you’re running on PPPOE, this is not compatible.

Please speak to your internet service provider so that this can be converted to PPPOA.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura,

Thank you for your reply. I find it a little puzzling as my query is in a thread on connection via Plusnet PPPoE / fibre. There are a number of threads on this Forum on successfully connecting VSS over PPPoE / BT Infinity. Are you saying that VSS isn't possible / supported over PPPoE?

All I'm looking for is some help in getting the Suresignal working. Other people appear to have been successful using my router and PPPoE. 

Many thanks

Martin