Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal won't work.

litt
2: Seeker

I have used a sure signal version  1 here for 2 years with no problems but a few days ago it stopped working. I have tried reset, holding reset button til all lights flash, taking out ethernet cable and replacing it etc as discussed in other peoples messages but no luck. I need this for work and need to get it working asap. Any advice gratefully received!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bought new Sure Signal and it works so must have been problem with the old one. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original position

30 REPLIES 30

Majka26

My sure signal has not been working since yesterday morning.. only have power light on, have tried resetting several times and re booting router but no luck.   The internet connection light does not flash and does not even look like trying to make a connection following reset.I need this for work so can you hepl asap

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Good evening,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Kay

I changed my BT Hub to BT Hub 4 last Wednesday. My Sure Signal version 1 would not work. It had the power light on, then 2 was flashing then stays on, 4 starts to flash then stops and I go back to just having the power light on. I have paid £30.00 to BT to open all the ports requested by Vodafone and made numourous phone calls to Vodafone since last Wednesday to resolve this. I called Vodafone again yesterday and they then sent me an e-mail asking me to contact BT to open more ports. Phoned BT got more ports opened, 24 hrs later still no signal. I have done all the troubleshooting and resets and have now had enough. They now inform me 5 days later and spending a considerable amount of money, that I should try another internet route or my SureSignal needs replacing. If I had known this was going to happen I would have not have renewed my phone with Vodafone. Really disappointed with the level of customer care I have received. I will now have to buy a new SureSignal box, but looking on the forum there is no guarantee this is going to work

speed test -

download 0.70

up load 0.35
ping test results- 123.75
Your external IP address 94.7.25.166

The results of a traceroute.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

C:\Users\Maja>
C:\Users\Maja>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     4 ms     2 ms  myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
  2    40 ms    71 ms    43 ms  027fef72.bb.sky.com [2.127.239.114]
  3     *       55 ms     *     027fed52.bb.sky.com [2.127.237.82]
  4    54 ms    54 ms    54 ms  5adfcf00.bb.sky.com [90.223.207.0]
  5    61 ms     *        *     5adfcf00.bb.sky.com [90.223.207.0]
  6    76 ms    55 ms    78 ms  ae99.edge3.London2.Level3.net [212.187.201.57]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *       57 ms    59 ms  ae-3-3.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.141.189]
  9    58 ms    56 ms     *     ae-42-42.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.167.22]
 10    81 ms    62 ms    58 ms  ae-57-112.csw1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.153.118]

11    59 ms    56 ms    56 ms  ae-122-3508.edge4.London1.Level3.net [4.69.166.1
3]
 12    82 ms     *       81 ms  195.50.122.66
 13    85 ms    81 ms     *     85.205.116.10
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Maja>

Your Sure Signal serial number:40132627767

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi sharon04, 

Please provide the information from my post above and we'll look into this for you. 

Majka26, Your download speed has to be at least 1Mbps for the Sure Signal to work. You'll need to speak to your Internet provider to see if they can help with this. 

litt, It may be you're on an old firmware version but it's not showing me unfortunately. I'll do a resync for you, please do a reset as described below;

1 - Hold the reset button until all 4 lights are solid. Don't let go of the button until step 4

2 - Remove the power cable then the LAN cable

3 - Insert ONLY the power cable

4 - When the lights flash 1, 2, 3 then 4 release the reset button and wait for the unit to boot (5 mins should do it).

5 - Insert the LAN cable and wait.

Let me know how you get on. 

Kay

Hi Kay. Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested several hours ago. The 4 green lights flashed in various combinations for a while but for some time only the power light has been on  (the green and orange (flashing) lights on the side are still flashing). How can I tell if it is completely broken or if it is the Home Hub? Can I do anything about the firmware? Are Version 3 Sure Signals better - perhaps  I could be upgraded? 

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi sharon04,

What’s your Sure Signal serial number?

@ litt – The software is up to date but there is no IPSec tunnel showing for the Sure signal.

Can you make sure that everything is plugged in correctly and perform another factory reset?

Also, can you confirm the following ports are open?

8          TCP     UDP

50        TCP     UDP

123                  UDP

500                  UDP

1723    TCP     UDP

4500                UDP

James

Hi James

This morning the Tech Team person advised me to contact BT and get them to check that the following ports were open: 50,500,4500,8,123. The BT lady has done this and agreed with you that the Sure Signal appeared not to be connected to the Home Hub 4. Between us we established a connecction and she has reset the Home Hub and I have reset the Sure Signal. I understand that this may take 4-24 hours so will revert when connection occurs.

Thank you

HI James. It still isn't working. Your Tech Team person didn't mention Port 1723, just the 5 I mentoined in my earlier message here. Can we assume it is open or do I have to contact BT again? I have changed the ethernet cable since there was some doubt if it was OK and started anotther reset. Can you see if the IP tunnel is OK now? If I bought a Sure Signal Version 3  might I be more sucessful?