Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal won't work.

Growltiger
4: Newbie

I had a problem that lasted two years with my Vodafone PAYG account. Here is the link:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go-services/Technical-problem-on-my-account-I-am-in-despai...

As part of your attempts to solve that problem, some of my records were cleared by Vodafone. I now discovered that my SureSignal isn't working. On checking the account online, I found I no longer had a SureSignal registered! I registered it again two days ago, and added a second phone, and that all worked as it should in the system.

But it doesn't work, the phones don't see it and only the top light is on. . So I looked at the trobleshooting guide. I have the first model, version 1, the white box with a black base. The symptom is that only the top light is on, and it is continuous.

I then followed the guide. I checked the cable and the lights by the cable. I rebooted the router - a BT Home Hub. I rebooted the SureSignal. I checked the DHCP was working correctly and it is, after the reboot it assigned 192.168.1.64 to its MAC address. I have a superb internet connection, about 10Mb connection speed. It never goes wrong. (Standard BT contract).

The reset procedure described does not work:

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

-Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid

-Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in

-Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead

-Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

Holding in the reset button even for a long time makes no difference to the lights at all.

Sometimes the box starts flashing different lights, in a sequence like this:

and sometimes other complex sequences including 4.

Then it goes back to just the first light again, steady.

I also double checked the serial number I entered online. It is:

It is now nearly two days since I set it up and it still doesn't work, so I have run out of ideas.

Is it possible that it is still associated in your system with my previous registration, on the same account, which you deleted? If so I don't see how it can be made to work without your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Wonderful news!

The new one is working.

And I have now been able to add another user.

In a few weeks it will move to where it is normally used, so I have to hope that it works there too, but it seems likely that it will.

So we can conclude that the old V1 was faulty. No amount of technical help could make it function properly.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original position

52 REPLIES 52

I would really appreciate some help. I've had no response at all from you. Thanks.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Growltiger

I think its best we take a closer look at your account and make sure everything is as it should be, pop me a message here and we'll be with you as soon as we can :).

Thanks

Sukhi

I sent you the info.

I've tried everything, it isn't working.

Please can you resync my Sure Signal.

My external IP is now 86.180.185.239

Hi there Growltiger,

Thanks for posting.

I've forced a resync for you and can see your VSS connected with our servers this morning just after 3am.

If it's still not working, factory reset the VSS and we'll be in touch when we reach your email.

Cheers,

LeeH

LeeH, thanks for doing the resync. It didn't help, it still doesn't work.

I've been trying more things.

I did the original troubleshooting guide, I have an excellent broadband connection and the device is correctly being given an IP address by DHCP.

In case the problem is associated with my Vodafone account (which has had various problems in the past), yesterday I deregistered the device and then registered it to my wife's account, which has always worked correctly. I also added my phone to it and made it an administrator.

No change to the problem.

In case the router was to blame, I have now replaced my BT Home Hub 2 (which was previously working perfectly with the device) and replaced it with a Netgear DGN1000.

No change to the problem.

I have tried factory resyncs many times. No change.

Here is what the lights on my device (a version 1) do. They rotate through these displays, where B means blinking.

1 + 2B

1 + 2

1 + 2 + 4B

and then back to the start again with just 1.

I feel it is a probably a problem at your end, it isn't likely the device is faulty.

What now?

One more thing. When I try phoning Vodafone I'm always told that the person can't access my account (or my wife's) and only the "technical team" can access it. They told me that we have "old" accounts which have not been migrated to the new system.

Is it possible that these old accounts have a problem with Sure Signal?

Do you happen to know when they plan to migrate our accounts so we can get normal customer service again? If we are to be migrated?

Changing the router made no difference so I've put back the original one.

Help please.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Growltiger

Have you tested it at an altogether different location? 

I'll be honest to me it sounds like you may have a faulty Sure Signal. We can look at repairing it here.

Thanks

Sukhi

My other location doesn't have good enough broadband to try it.

Is it possible it has been barred? Your website says if it was not used for three months it may have been barred. Can you check please? (I had it powered off for several weeks, and it was after that that it didn't work).

It is 2.5 years old, so out of warranty. What would a "repair" cost? I'm guessing, but suppose the shop replaces it, charges me say £50, and the replacement doesn't work, then I've lost £50. I see a new one is now £100.

Hi Growltiger,

The Sure Signal isn’t bared and an out of warranty repair would be £65.

I can see that it reconnected to the server yesterday, are you still having trouble?

James