Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SureSignal

williamz0
4: Newbie

Hi -  for the last few years, I have had the usual issues with getting SureSignal to work with BT HomeHub 3 as you'll see on the forum.

I managed to fix this by replacing the HH3 with a Draytek Vigor2820n router as soon as we connected that up, the sureSignal started working again and worked for months!

However, the Draytek settings got reset just before Christmas and now the SureSignal will not connect to Vodafone somehow. I also have a spare SureSignal (bought when it was suggested by Vodafone/BT that the problem was the SureSignal and not the BT HH3) that is also plugged in and flashing :0)

How can I get assistance from Vodafone in getting one of these to work please?

25 REPLIES 25

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @williamz0 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Williamz0

If you could provide the Sure Signal version number and what lights are on/off/flashing I may be able to give you some specific steps to resolve your issue as it could be caused by a number of things such as the router reset causing an external IP address refresh so the Vodafone servers think you may have moved location.

That being said, it does appear likely that this is a router configuration issue caused by the reset - most likely preventing the required VPN connection or the firewall settings are now blocking the required traffic between the Sure Signal and the Vodafone servers. Whilst I’m not a fan of the port forwarding it may be necessary, however in your case I would inclined to try putting the Sure Signal into a DMZ which means the Sure Signal is placed outside the firewall (which is fine for items such as a Sure Signal, Games Consoles etc.).

I have provided guidance below for both options;

DMZ option

To do this:

• Ensure that the Sure Signal is allocated a Static IP address from the router. See your router manual here for help. To do this you will need to find the MAC address of the Sure Signal (usually on the label at the back of the VSS but if you give me the version number I can tell you exactly where it is) and give the device an IP address outside of the usually range for your devices (e.g. 192.168.0.30)
  • Once the static IP is allocated you can place the Sure Signal IP address into the DMZ. Again see your router manual here for support enable the DMZ function and supply the Sure Signal IP you allocated in the above step.

Port Forward option

To do this:

• Ensure that the Sure Signal is allocated a Static IP address from the router. See your router manual here for help. To do this you will need to find the MAC address of the Sure Signal (usually on the label at the back of the VSS but if you give me the version number I can tell you exactly where it is) and give the device an IP address outside of the usualy range for your devices (eg. 192.168.0.30)
  • Once the static IP is allocated you can then start to port forward to the Sure Signal IP address. Support for this can be found on the port forward website here. Remember to enter the static IP for your Sure Signal at the top of the page and follow the instruction.

Whichever of the above options you take you should now restart the Sure Signal, make yourself a cuppa, watch your favourite TV programme and keep fingers crossed for 24 hours or so

Many thanks Apple_Fanboy for taking your time to look at this.

Thge SureSignal is the slightly older square white 9361 Home Cell V2-V

Normally just the red mains light is on but when I reset (in the hope that it will conect to Vodafone somehow) the mains light stays on and both the white "circle with lines" and white phone lights flash for a while then return back to just red mains light.

I'll have a go at your suggestions and report back.

Mamy thanks again!

Gary

Hi @williamz0

Make sure that BT Smart Setup is switched off.

If you can also let us know your serial number for the Vodafone Sure Signal.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi Laura - where is BT Smart Setup? I am not using BT HomeHub but a Draytek router.

Serial no is: 40122907740

Many thanks

Gary

Hi @williamz0 

Please try a different Ethernet cable and to ensure that all the following ports are open as follows:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Sarah  

Hi Sarah - I have done all of the above to the letter, the SureSignal white lights flashed for a while then stopped.

But some 18 hours later I still have no mobile signal.....

Any further suggestions please?

Should I re-register it online?

Hi @williamz0

Try the Vodafone Sure Signal in a different location, or with a different router.

If this gives any different light sequence, can you let us know.

Cheers,

Laura

It has always worked fine where it is in my office.

My router works fine - can't really buy a new router when I have the Draytek that works fine and then as a spare I have BT HH3 which will never work with SureSignal...