cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suresignal V1 stopped working (happened before)

Tanthalas
4: Newbie

Suresignal V1 just stopped working a couple of days ago for no apparent reason!

Serial Number: 21197150721

ISP: TalkTalk (has been for a few years)

Router: TalkTalk HG533 (had this a couple of years and all working fine)

Have had varying light sequences over the past day or two, currently Power light (1) is constant, internet light (2) is flashing.  Have also had constant power with 1 on with lights 2 and 4 flashing at times.

Can see the Suresignal with an assigned IP on the router.

It should be registered fine as I have had it for years and it has been working without a problem.

No hardware has changed at all my end.

Have power cycled the Suresignal a few times and reset it with no change.  Have power cycled and reset the router with no change.

I had problems with it in February see thread below, took several attempts to get the firmware update pushed through to the box but worked eventually.  Since then I haven't had any problems until now.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-v1-no-3G-seems-quite-common-at-the-mo...

10 REPLIES 10

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tanthalas, 

Your Sure Signal is showing it last connected to our servers on 4 October. 

Try the reset AnabolicStewie mentions here to see if this helps. 

If this doesn't work, please provide the following information;

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Kay

Hi Kay, thanks for the reply.

I have tried the reset fix AnabolicSteroid but still no joy, I left it for 30+ minutes after plugging the network cable back in, still no 3G on the phones in my house.  Its sat with light 1 on, light 2 flashing (on / off about once per second) and nothing on lights 3 or 4 for about 5 minutes and now I just have the power light.  I seem to get different light combinations each time I reset it!

I have noticed over the last week or two that I am getting considerable lag on the connection.  My son in particluar has commented on it quite a bit (he is a gamer) and I have noticed it myself at times.  This does not, noticeably impact my Youview services and is not connected to the introduction of a Youview service as it has been running fine for a long time since we started (other than inherent issues with the box itself which are well documented on these forums (general lockups and reboots needed)).

Speed test results here:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3812937065

Ping test results here:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/107828907.png

External IP is: 78.149.59.240

tracert results here:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     5 ms     2 ms     2 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    21 ms    21 ms    22 ms  host-78-149-48-1.as13285.net [78.149.48.1]
  3    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  host-78-151-226-169.as13285.net [78.151.226.169]

4    32 ms    30 ms    29 ms  host-78-151-226-156.as13285.net [78.151.226.156]

5    34 ms    32 ms    30 ms  host-78-144-9-77.as13285.net [78.144.9.77]
  6    30 ms    29 ms    30 ms  host-78-144-10-120.as13285.net [78.144.10.120]
  7    34 ms    30 ms    33 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  8    44 ms    38 ms    39 ms  85.205.0.93
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tanthalas,

Thanks for posting your details. Despite the lag you mentioned, your speedtest results are well above the required minimum. :Winking_smiley:

Your pingtest shows that we're unable to communicate with your device. Despite being on the latest firmware, there are a few connection failures when our servers have tried to speak to the unit too. 

I'd recommend opening the ports on your router just in case something has changed on the ISP side of things (this would explain why your son is getting gaming issues too). The ports needed are:

8 – TCP/UDP (All routers)
50 – TCP/UDP (All routers)
53 – TCP/UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
67 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
68 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)
123 – UDP (All routers)
500 – UDP (All routers)
1723 – TCP/UDP (BT Home Hubs)
4500 – UDP (All routers)
33434 – 33445 – UDP (Virgin Super Hubs)

If you're unsure how to do this using the website above, have a chat with your ISP for full instructions.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks Ben_H

I setup the port forwarding in the router, did all the ports to be sure.  After setting it up and confirming the Suresignal had a permanent lease on its internal IP (to ensure it gets the same IP so port forwarding doesn't get affected by a change in IP), I then did a full rest on the suresignal

- held reset until all lights flashed

- power and network cable removed

- wait about 10 seconds

- replace power cable and wait for lights to flash in sequence

- left for 5 minutes

- put back network cable and confirmed Suresignal got the same internal IP

After a few mins I had lights 1 and 2 on with light 4 flashing (no 3G).  After about 1 minute lights went off with just power (light 1) left and light 2 flashing periodically.

Any thoughts?

So, after about an hour it trying to connect, connecting for 5 mins and disconnecting it seems to be working again.  Ill keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Thanks

It seems the change to the firewall settings hasn't ixed it.

I noticed yesterday (Saturday) afternoon that I had no 3G on my phone again, looked at the Suresignal and had light 1 on, light 2 flashing and nothing else.  Gave it about an hour to see if it would recover, nothing.

I turned it off overnight, started it up again this morning and did a full reset / reboot as per earlier in this post, still no joy.

I have light 1 (power) on no problem, then either get light 2 flashing or light 2 solid with light 4 flashing.

Any ideas?

Edit: Now Monday evening, still doing the same things.  Light 1 on then a mix of either light 2 flashing or light 4 flashing ... no 3G.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Tanthalas,

The light sequence you’re seeing usually means that the Sure Signal is being configured.

While this should only take around 6 hours to complete, we recommend you leave this plugged in for 24 hours to allow everything to update.

Thanks,

Jenny

Thanks for the reply, however that does not fit with the nature of the problem I am seeing.

At the start of this thread the light sequence was ongoing for approximately 60 hours (and was on and off for a day or two before I even posted) before I got a reply here, then a further 48 - 60 hours before I actually got it working again for a rough total of 100-120 hours of not working.  Admittedly it was rebooted a few times during that but for the vast majority it was on and connect.

Now that it has gone wrong again, it has already been over 50 hours of that light sequence with one reboot).  During that time it has been on and connected to the router!  There would appear to be something not right either with the connection or the box itself in my opinion.  As I have not changed anything about the connection in a number of years (other than applying the port forwarding earlier in this thread) and everything else appears to be working OK apart from some intermittent connection lag during gaming (according to my son) I would be surprised if that is the issue.  I am sitting on approx 16Mb down / 1Mb up ADSL 2+ connection.

Any thoughts?

Hi @Tanthalas 

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable?

We can also take a look at your Sure Signal box. Please see our repair process here.

If the Sure signal is over 24 months old you’ll need to consider buying a new Sure Signal.

Cheers,

Laura