Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Vodafone Sure Signal

Suresignal V3 - Overheated, Blew Up, Exploded, Hot, Burnt out & Dead with no Lights

11: Established Silver

<<< UPDATE 21st November 2016  >>>

If you have suffered a failed or burn't out SureSignal V3, you must do the following to obtain your FREE replacement.

There are extended delays obtaining replacements using the eForum, better success is by calling Vodafone on 191.

• Contact Trading Standards on 0345 4040506 to ensure they cannot deny knowing about your unit later on.
  • Put a post at the end of this thread with details of the failure and if possible, pictures of the damage within the enclosure of the device.
  • Call 191 and make them aware of this post. If you are refused, take employee details and keep calling back.

For the benefit and avoidance of any doubt:

If anyone from Vodafone, whether on the phone, webchat, on this forum or in store tells you or suggests that your unit is out of warranty and a replacement should be purchased, this is a direct contradiction to an order given by Vodafone's CEO in May 2016, quoting:

"We have also recently refreshed our messaging for our front line agents so that any devices showing the symptoms you have referred to are replaced free of charge." Jeroen Hoencamp - Vodafone UK (CEO).

The full copy of the original email is below and anyone going to court and needs a copy of the original email, drop me a private message and I will be happy to forward it to you.

<<< UPDATE END >>>

<<< UPDATE 25th June 2016 >>>

Today, it appears that Vodafone & Alcatel are still resisting complaints that they have a faulty and badly designed device.  Below is the response I have recieved today from Vodafone's CEO Jeroen in respect to the devices sent for further "testing" at the manufacturer Alcatel.

If Jeroen, Alcatel and Vodafone honestly believe that devices turning into charcoal inside the casing, bits of components rattling around and mains being tripped is a 'safe failure' then they have no understanding of electronics.

The SureSignal of mine that failed was in fact connected to the mains by three surge protected 'strip' sockets of 'Computer Quality", plus the devices own in-built surge protection making a total of four levels of protection. At the same time I have VoIP telephone adaptors, a router, various network hubs and a computer plugged into the same sockets and none of these have ever suffered a problem with the mains supply. I suspect the amount of surge protection was why it never managed to trip the breaker in the garage when it failed.

If you have been affected by a failed SureSignal V3 and it's lights are out or you suspect overheating, remove it immediatly from the mains and read the information further down this posting.

Please, if you can, open up your device and take pictures and post details of what happened when it failed such as bang, flash or mains being fused or tripped along with pictures to the end of this article by clicking reply. Someone from Vodafone will then contact you in regard to arranging a replacement free of charge.

E-MAIL RESPONSE FROM VODAFONE'S CEO - JEROEN HOENCAMP - AS FOLLOWS:

--------- ---------- --------- ---------- --------- ----------

Dear Lee,

As promised I am coming back to you now Vodafone has completed its investigation on the Sure Signal issue you previously raised with me. The manufacturer has tested your device and the device you submitted on behalf of another customer and has reported its findings to Vodafone.

The findings conclude that the Sure Signal product failed due to voltage transient surges on the domestic mains supply and that the products failed in a safe manner with no risk to customers. The testing also shows that voltage transient immunity on these products significantly exceeded the levels defined by the applicable European standards therefore the Sure Signal product is resilient to this problem which aligns with the low return rates we have experienced.

Independently of the above, improvements were introduced on Sure Signal boxes from August 2015 following a general product review.  However, these improvements were made to improve customer experience rather than any concerns over the safety of the products. The two units you provided were the original version of the product prior to these changes.

We have also recently refreshed our messaging for our front line agents so that any devices showing the symptoms you have referred to are replaced free of charge.

As you are aware, Trading Standards has investigated this issue and is comfortable with Vodafone’s position. Given the above conclusion Vodafone will not be taking any further action on its Sure Signal boxes.

Thanks again for raising this issue with me.

Regards, Jeroen

CEO Vodafone UK.

<<< UPDATE 31 May 2016 >>>

Vodafone have admitted there is a problem and exchanging 'failed' units regardless of Warranty status as long as it due to power supply failure.

If your unit has failed and not part of this recall, you still have redress under Consumer Law even if Vodafone claim there is no Warranty cover as it should have had a "reasonable service life".

After numerous calls and emails to Vodafone and Trading Standard, it appears that on the 20th May, Vodafone accepted there was an issue with SureSignal units manufacture prior to Week 34 - 2015, which means all units sold prior and not long after this date are affected.

Although they claim it is a 'recall', simply swapping units affected by power burn out without arguing against a full blown exchange program so it can hardly be called a recall, however, it is a start.

In order to continue to put pressure on Vodafone to replace all affected units prior to thier self-destruction, Trading Standards need to know about every units that has failed.

PLEASE: If you have been affected and whether of not Vodafone has offered to replace the unit, you must call Consumer Direct on 0345 4040506 and log the details, what happened as well as Vodafone's response.

It does not matter when your unit burnt out, even it was years ago, it needs to be reported to Trading Standards. In doing so, you may later help save someone being badly hurt or a fatality from one of these units failing and starting a fire or tripping the electric supply.

If in the past, if you have purchased a replacement unit after your original burnt out and Vodafone told you to puchase or contribute to a new one, call them and claim a refund.

If you have recently had a burnt out, call them to tell them you believe you are entitled to a free replacement. I would also suggest that if you have suffered any losses from a power failure such as fridge/freezer defrosting or loss of stock, then you should also dicuss this as part of your claim.

If  Vodafone refuse to cover your fridge contents of other losses including driving to pick up a new one, consider a smalls claims court action to recover it using your Statutory Consumer Rights in Law.

THESE UNITS SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO A FULL UK RECALL - REPORT YOURS TO TRADING STANDARDS TO BRING THIS ABOUT!!!

Don't forget if you have lost the contents of your fridge/freezer or livestock in a fish tank, pond or other controlled environment for pets or animals then you should also claim compensation for losses under UK Consumer Law - Consequential Damages.

<<< UPDATE END >>>

<<< UPDATE 20 May 2016 >>>

IF YOUR SureSignal V3 is dead with no lights on..

REMOVE IT IMMEDIATLY FROM THE MAINS SOCKET AND DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN. EVEN IF VODAFONE SAY IT IS OK... there is a risk of the unit setting on fire due to internal damage caused when it failed.

Many users are reporting a very bright flash and a loud band when they fail which when opened up there is evidence of overheated and damaged components on the Power Supply PCB.

Whether or not the failure was recent or happened a while ago, Trading Standards need to know even if it was exchanged or you have purchased a replacement .

Report your failed SureSignal (where there are no lights on the unit) to Consumer Direct on 0345 4040506. Consumer Direct are part of Citizens Advice and act as the front end to Trading Standards, where they will refer it as you can no longer contact them direct. Explain that Lancashire Trading Standards are referring a compliant to their main national office to collate information on these units and their failures and you beleive yours is one affected and that when your unit failed, it could have possibly started a fire.

After you have called them, keep a note of the reference number and ensure that they are referring it to Trading Standards to be added to the national database where they keep a log of products being reported. This is to build up a picture of a problem product for further investigation. Until I called them last week, they were unaware of the SureSignal product as it had not been previously reported and are now monitoring for additional calls being recieved.

You should also be able to get your money back or a replacement for FREE as I did as you have rights under Consumer law which concludes when you buy a product, that:

• it is safe
  • it is free from defects
  • it is of expected quality
  • of reasonable life expectancy

Just over two years is not reasonable life for a product costing between £70 and £100 depending on when you purchased it and that any reasonable person would have expected a lifetime in excess of 6 years as you would with any other properly designed and manufactured electronics these days.

This product runs extremely hot (up to 60 degrees C) putting heat stress on internal components where there is no ventilation and with the choice of components or design of the PCB and enclosure, a combination of these factors is causing them to fail prematurely.

After you have reported to Consumer Direct, call Vodafone and ask to speak with a manager or supervisor. They may refuse at first, but if you explain that you have already contacted Consumer Direct to report to Trading Standards and you want to raise a high level complaint to Customer Relations in relation to a potentially unsafe product.

Ask Vodafone to log a complaint to the effect you believe that the SureSignal product you have or have replaced was of not suitable quality or design and that you suspect that it may be unsafe due to its design or component chioce and therefore claiming a refund due to its failure. They will more than likely try to refuse (unless under warranty) where at this point you suggest that you are willing to have the product and its design checked.

It took me many calls before I got sense!!

If they still refuse, drop me a private message and I will advise you further.

If you still have the unit, do not allow them to ask you to return it or take it in to a shop for a replacement. Instead, tell them that you are willing to take it to a Vodafone shop where you can demonstrate to a manager that it is not working or to show them that the device is damaged (if you have opened it up) and that your original will be kept in order to be sent it for investigation by Trading Standards.

I am happy to open your unit up for you, take pictures and send them back with a report if you cover the postage.  Warn the shop that if they are willing to plug it in, to be aware that there is the possibilty that it could catch fire if they do plug it is at thier risk, not yours.

Vodafone agreed to this with mine and sent me a new unit once I had presented it to the manager at the Preston store who accepted that this was enough to prove it was faulty and sent a FREE replacement of my two and half year old unit which arrived today.

<< DO NOT LET THE SHOP OR VODAFONE TAKE YOUR UNIT FROM YOU>>

If they refuse to exchange without handing your faulty one over, drop me a private message and I will advise you further.

If, after your complaint has been registered and they still refuse to offer you a refund then now is the time to start the Small Claims process via the County Court system which can be done easily online at the Courts central processing office in Northampton - www.moneyclaim.gov

Write to Vodafone at:

Customer Relations Manager
Vodafone Limited
The Connection
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 2FN

State that you believe the SureSignal product you have purchased is flawed and was not of "Satisfactory Quality" in either its design or component selection and that you have a right to reasonable life expectancy, giving them 30 days to give you a refund otherwise you will process Small Claims Court action to recover your losses.

If purchased before July 2015, you need to quote Sale of Goods Act or if after July 2015, The Consumer Rights Act 2015. You can find template letters on the Consumer Direct help pages.

Don't be afraid to take it this far and once you have sent your letter to Vodafone, contact me directly via private messaging and I will advise you further in order for you to make your claim and get your refund. Consumer Direct will also offer you advice on making a claim.

Maybe Vodafone is not prepared to listen to the concerns of their customers, with enough evidence of the failures of this product then they will have to listen to Trading Standards. Users have been reporting these issues since 2013 via this orum and still they continue to deny there is a problem and supply them!!!

NOTE TO VODAFONE; Interference of removal of this posting will be reported to Trading Standards.

<<< UPDATE END >>>

Tonight my two year old Suresignal stopped working with no lights on.

I had been concerned about the temperature of the device while plugged in and knew one day it would fail which it has.

I called Vodafone and got the usual out of warranty and I'll have to buy a new one rubbish. I raised concerns over how hot it had been while operating or two years and got nowhere other than being told life expectancy depends on how often its used.

Being an electronics engineer I opened it up to find brown powder all over the inside (usually tell tale that a component has burnt or suffered with excessive heat and smouldered itselt into failure.

Next week I intend to take the device to our factory where we test PCB designs and repair to have this Suresignal repaired prior to test on heat generated with a report being created on internal and component operating temperatures to see if they are within spec.

I suspect a component has failed due to constantly running close to or over it's recommend temp and thus failed.

If this is the case, I will contact Trading Standards as to the potential safety issue plus the fact these units are or will fail prematurely.

I will also use this report to take Vodafone to Small Claims for selling a problem 'not fit for purpose' and not of 'satisfactory quality' under Consumer law.

My main concern is that the failure appears to be around the step down transformer and that the device has no ventilation to the outside to dissipate its heat.

I'll know better next week and will update this post with our findings.

Have you had a Suresignal fail completely?
Is yours what you consider to be worryingly hot?

If so, drop a reply here ticking the bix "email when someone replies" in order to be updated.

It may be that as suspected by many on other forums and here that there is a design flaw in lack of ventilation causing failure of the device.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

View more options
648 REPLIES
3: Seeker Silver

My suresignal 3 runs warm. But then so do many other devices I have. What version is yours?

View more options
It's version 3 but unsure of variant if there is any.

Vodafone support have claimed electronic fuses have blown to other customers which in my case is not the case.

I have located the 230v fuse and its intact.

Need to check if I can post photos but looks like the rectifier has not only burnt, it's split open and made smoke meaning the only thing preventing it causing further damage is that it has stopped conducting and breaking the power off.

It is not and suspect many others a thermal fuse fault as Vodafonne claim but possibly an undersize and heat stressed component that should be heat sinked with ventilation.

I suspect many of these units that are failing in ambient temperatures is the same issue.

To claim a device emitting radio waves will get hot as I have also seen is not strictly true and again any RF generating transistor should also be adequately cooled and vented.

I am going to purchase another unit in protest later and use this for testing next week as suspect the component in the burnt out unit will also be running too hot.

Vodafone need to be honest and start to look at the design of this product.

View more options

I think to some extent it depends on how its fitted. Mine has been plugged into a conventional wall socket until today. Vetically mounted and in very freely circulating air.

Today I 'tidied up' the mess of wires where its connected and it was horizontal with a shelf not far above. It became red hot and started to worry me. Unplugged at the moment until I decide whether to fins it a new home, put a thermocouple on and record the temperature, or give up and skip it. After all if its getting that hot it's burning watts which I'm paying for.

View more options
Hi

I have purchased another unit today to run tests on.

If yours is out of warranty I would suggest carefully removing the 4x screws on the back and prise the unit open.

Once the two PCBs are out the way, you could drill a number of small holes in the back to allow free air to pass through.

Bear in mind that this is only a suggestion and I cannot be responsible should anything go wrong.

Once the original unit I have had been repaired and had heat and power consumption tests done I will be doing the same. I will also monitor the temperature of two units side by side to see the difference with and without ventilation.

Some CDs were stacked against one side of my old unit this week and convinced this is the reason for failing due to restricted air flow. If this is the case then it is wrong that so easy it is to write off £100 and have never seen anything like it.

Before this week its worked without issue for two years.

There is a small rectifier next to the transformer inside and this appears to be the weakest link in that its not only cooked, its been turned to dust.

I'll know better next week once the component has been identified, changed and had tests as to loading (whether it's suitable) and heat generated against dissipation.

How they expect a thick plastic enclosure to let heat escape is beyond me and want to see the internal temperature of the enclosure whilst operating as it must be roasting in there.

I'll update as soon as I have more info and details.

Fit for purpose?

How many other devices in your home are advised to use somewhere cool to prevent damage and a room at 22 degrees is hardly hot!!

View more options
Further to the last...

The manual states not to use in an area higher than 45 degrees centigrade. It will be curious how hot and how long it would last at this temperature.

Manual does not state if this is whilst operating or in storage.

View more options

To be fair, most industrial grade components are rated to 85C. Extended range is 105 or even 125C.

That said I reckon with reduced airflow it was close to 50C external temperature. Next step is to use an energy meter to find out quite how much energy its using.

View more options
Its individual components that needs checking.

The rectifier and diode are very close to the transformer that will naturally get hot. Even if they dud use industrial components (of which there is no guarantee they have) then running at the higher end will reduce lifespan.

The rectifier is split open on its side.

Once matched, the original we'll connect it via jump wires to allow connection to meters see what current it is handing in relation to speciation.

We'll monitor heat generation then put back into the PCB and seal up with an internal probe. Once we know the running internal temp we can simulate the temperature in a test oven while PCBs are of of the shell and see where hot spots are on components.

The test oven allows simulation of environmental conditions as we manufacturer products used in the Middle East where ambient is set to 55-65 degrees.

View more options
As you can see in the picture, the rectifier has burst open more than likely due to excessive heat or current passing through it. I have seen in other replies from Vodafone that the brown powder within the unit is 'normal' when the fuse burns out. Well, this is not a burn't out fuse, it is the rectifier. Since when as a bridge rectifier has been a thermal fuse. There is a fuse next to the blue capacitors on the AC side which is is the reddy/ orange coloured component on the live connection rated 2A at 230v meanin it would need in excess of half a kilowatt (500watts) for this to fail and would more than likely only protect the AC side in the event of the step down transformer failing. There appears to be no over current protection on the low voltage side.

View more options

Picture for the above post here:

Browser did'nt add them as I posted..

Are you saying the component thats in the first picture is a bridge rectifier? Its an inductor. Component number L4 (L is used for inductors) and it has only two connections not four as far as I can see.

It appears to be a switch mode supply so you wouldn't neccesarily expect a fuse in the output side, there may well be an output device that can limit the current.

It does look like the input filter has got too warm as well. My guess is the main reservoir capacitor has failed short, probably caused by running hot for too long. That would give a very high current through the main filter and inductor L4 probably causing L4 to fail extremely fast. The fuse is time delay so may not have been fast enough, though time delay is what is needed.

I also really wouldn't expect it to run as warm as it does since SMPSUs are there because they are so much more efficient than conventional ones.

By the way, the blue 'capacitor' is probably a varistor given the MOV notation where its fitted.

View more options
Hi

I was going to put more details later..

The component L4 as you mentioned is an inductor and there is a rectifier almost directly underneath.

Trying to find a close match or identical replacement in order to repair prior to testing.

It is strange that Vodafone claim (on older posts) that the brown residue is from a 'burnt out thermal fuse' an normal where it actually looks like the residue from the resin covering the windings within the inductor boiling or burning off.

From the patten inside the case which looks more like spatter than smokey its failed voilently although once the coil has started to break down, what will follow would be voilently fast to finish it off.

The replacement unit is showing 53 to 55 degrees Celsius around the antenna, 45 in the middle and 32 at the bottom at ambient of 18 degrees. It's not been opened up yet but as plastic is a poor thermal conductor then suspect its considerably warmer inside.

Once the factory get their hands on it, things should be a lot clearer as my knowledge is fairly extensive although but don't beyond profess to be beyond whats been gleaned working with them in designing products for me and other self learn background.

I don't design myself but component selection and longevity are issues that get approached during design.

I just cannot understand why a product that runs so hot has no ventilation or other way to loose heat making them easy to cook and break just on where its located.

I accept components in normal life fail but feel there is something more here in that many have these units that are hot and failed due to not having good dissipation and being uprated to cope with running hot.

One of the products I manufacture runs directly from both AC and DC at between 10 and 32volts and never had one from 1000's returned due to a component of the power supply failing even while running in Saudi where ambient cabinet temperature regularly reach over 60 degrees centigrade in the sun.

View more options

OK but be careful. If the failure of L4 is caused as I suspect by the big reservoir going short, a replacemnt inductor will likely fail just as spectacularly. The cap may not read short with a meter, either, as its getting rectified mains on it.  I can't see the rating but it looks like its two hundred and something volts where I'd expect it to be 350v at least.

View more options

Hi Duncan,

I won't be doing it, the factory I use will be as they are qualified at diagnostics and repair as its what they do everyday. They check designs for under rating as well as correct choice of components and agree there must be something else underlying.

Thier check warranty returns to ensure failure is a component and not design flaw, bad component batch or manufacturing process in designs converted to physical products. I would be worried if the same product was suffering the same failure multiple times and the only common factor is high running temperature.

The cap is rated 400volts, -25 to 105 degrees C.

I suspect as you do, something further up the line has caused over voltage or current where the sympton is the inductor failing. The main culprits are going to be as you suggest the capacitor or one of the two transformers or associated PSU parts.

I have the heating on tonight in the room where the replacement device is situated and the room is at 22 degrees where the temperature on the front of the SureSignal has risen to 57 - 58 degrees.

Now that the temperature at the top has risen, it is also risen lower down where the PSU components are located internally.

View more options

Interestingly, a few threads have popped up on here reporting blowing up VSS v3. One included photos where the main reservoir cap has popped. The design looks different to the photos in yours. Kind of reinforces what I said that a shorted cap tool out L3 in yours.

Given the number of reports of failure and the fact it usually takes out the 32A ring main trip rather than the internal fuse, you might consider yourself lucky. Personally I won't be relying on luck.

View more options
2: Seeker Bronze

My sure signal 3 has also just reduced itself to a smouldering sooty mess!

Had it not set off the smoke alarm I dare to think what could have happened! I was home at the time with my wife and two young children. Unsurprisingly I am not at all impressed and concerned by the safety of this product? Having split it open it appears to resemble the exact same failure as shown in the earlier attached images.

When I contacted Vodafone via web chat I was advised that this topic was being investigated and that information would be made available on the eForum? Beyond that I would need to take up the issue further in-store?

A strange response I felt as I wonder how impressed all the other potential customers in-store at the time might be when I walk in and land a melted and blackened Vodafone product on the counter asking for an explanation of my potentially life threatening "Thermal Incident"?! 

I am therefore very interested to follow your updates and findings from the test and experiments you are conducting.

Thanks

View more options
UPDATE: I have had the unit looked at and IT IS NOT AS SUSPECTED THE THERMAL FUSE as Vodafone claim. I have just spoken to Trading Standards who are going to inspect the photos I have sent along with any other reports they may have had across the UK. As Vodafone are making out this is perfectly normal 'failures' I suspect many have taken thier word for it and assumed that the unit has reached end of life and quietly gone out and purchased a replacement so therefore not showing up on any radar with TS. If anyone has a unit that has died and you are willing to send it to me in order to collate information on others to see if there is a common issue with these components. Please drop me a PM if you are willing to send your dead unit to us in order to open it up and see where the failure is, take photos and refer this back into the Trading Standards investigation. It is possible that Vodafone may later admit that there is an issue with these units and we are happy to return them in order to obtain replacements if you cover the return postage. We will not dispose of any units and also looking into the possibilty of repairs once the components have been identified and will update later on this. WE NEED YOUR DEAD UNIT IN ORDER TO PROGRESS THIS ISSUE and collate evidence should there be a design, heat or component choice issue..

View more options

If you have a SureSignal that has failed and all lights are out..

REMOVE FROM THE MAINS IMMEDIATLY and DO NOT TRY TO RESET OR FIX IT !!

If your SureSignal has stopped working and there are no lights, it is damaged inside and should be immediatly remove from the socket and not plugged back in, even if as on many occasions Vodafone tell you to do so.

When these units have failed and there are no lights on, it is due more than likely to a catastrophic failure of a component on power supply PCB and continuing to keep it plugged in could have the small risk of fire or circuit overload associated with it.

Vodafone may ask you to perform tests not realising the actual fault is PCB component damage and that the unit will never work again.

I am currently working with Trading Standards in light of so many similar failures (including mine) where components on the power supply have been burnt or destroyed.

If you have one of these units failed with no lights, please PM me as we are currently gathering units to examine and report back to Trading Standards as I consider these units to be a liabilty and potentially dangerous.

Currently as no one has reported issues to Trading Standards so they have no alert or monitoring and were unaware which is now in progress, so if you have a unit that has failed recently or in the past, can you drop me a PM in order that I can pass on your details to Trading Standards or ask them to contact you for more information on the device and its failure.

It is offensive that Vodafone simply tell users that it is cheaper to pay £69 for a new one than the cost for repair when it is now looking like there is a flaw within the unit and hopefully later will be subject to recall or refunds of losses.

EE recalls over a million portable power bank units as they are getting hot while charging, yet Vodafone have a product plugged into the mains getting hot and literally exploding inside, yet Vodafone do nothing but claim they have never heard of any problems..!

View more options
2: Seeker Bronze

My Vodafone Sure Signal3 has also packed up after 2 years and two months- no light or signal. Spoke to vodafone and they wouldn't help as it is out of warranty and they said there were no problems in manufacture of this equipment. I referred to this forum and they said you get these type of complaints on all web forums. They then said they would send me a new free one if I renewed my mobile contract early for two and a half years- total bribery. I said I would complain to customer services,Consumer Direct and mentioned Sale of goods act etc but they were not bothered.Disgraceful customer service and O2 will soon have a new customer!

View more options
REPORT THIS TO CONSUMER DIRECT ON 0345 4040506.

They are collecting details of these devices and failures onto a national database. Anyone suffering failure must report them ad Vodafone are in denial there is an issue which users are being reporting since 2013.

Then follow my instructions above to claim your refund.

View more options