Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Vodafone Sure Signal

Suresignal V3 - Overheated, Blew Up, Exploded, Hot, Burnt out & Dead with no Lights

11: Established

Obvious point he is incorrect on:

SureSignal carries a Two Year Warranty, not One and always has done....

Call 191 and speak to a UK call centre, keep calling back until you do or go into a shop and demand a replacement with proof of purchase.

YOU MUST INFORM TRADING STANDARDS OF BOTH THE FAILURE AND THAT VODAFONE ARE CLAIMING ONE YEAR AND NOT TWO PLUS DENYING YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS AS WELL AS REFUSING A REPLACEMENT!!!

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

View more options

BBC WATCHDOG

Feel free to copy and paste, changing your details within the [ ]'s and send it to the email address or via the form on the webpage below:

BBC Watchdog's Website

----------------------------------

Dear Watchdog team,

I am writing to report a failure of Vodafone SureSignal product that I purchased [DATE] and failed on [DATE]. I believe this product and the way it has failed to be dangerous and could possibly be a fire hazard.

I have seen information about other devices suffering in the same way on Vodafone's eForum: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-problem/td-p/1679240

I believe Vodafone's claims that these devices are failing due to mains 'transients' are false. Although Vodafone have agreed to replace all units manufactured prior to August 2015 that have failed in this way, but will not admit to a flaw within the product.

I understand that you have already been contacted in regard to this device and I would also like to add my details and concerns to any investigation you carry out in relation to this product.

[PLEASE REFLECT YOUR INDIVIDUAL STORY BELOW TO FINISH, including full details such as whether there was a power circuit trip, any incurred damage such as fridge / freezer defrosting, pets or livestock harmed, Vodafone's response and all other relevant information such as: What happened when the device failed, What happened when you contacted Vodafone, did they refuse or try to convince you to buy another]

------------------------------

Copy and paste what you need and when you have completed it, either email to the address on the webpage or the form to fill in and send.

PLEASE do this as soon as possible regardless of whether you have had a replacement or not as many reports arriving at the same time WILL GET THE ISSUE NOTICED..

BBC Watchdog's Website

If you need advice, drop me a PM.

View more options
3: Seeker Silver

Nice job.  I reported to trading standards a couple of weeks back however had zero joy from Vodafone after calling several times and speaking to people who (to use the 80's rap parlance) "didn't know what time it was".

I'll use this too.

View more options
Administrator

@Jomider

I can see the last email communication was from Rahim requesting more information, but we haven't recieved a response.

Please reply to this and we'll be happy to help you further.

@madmart4

Please follow the steps to contact our team directly. This information is in the private message that I sent.

@jgroarke_uk

So that we can look into this further, see the private message I've sent for how to get in touch.

View more options

@DaveCD - sorry I havent got any emails from Rahim...  I got a call from Beau saying he would send me a new SS.  so I hpe we are done now..  thanks

View more options
2: Seeker Bronze
View more options

Please keep this thread only for power failed units where there are no lights on..

If you require other assistance or wish to make new comments on a different subject, please start a new thread to avoid distraction from the highlighted issue here of burn outs to enable easy access to information.

Thanks

View more options

my v3 unit has been very hot and after removing the casing you can see the smoke damage from being on fire. i have pictures2016-07-12 21.15.07.jpg2016-07-12 21.09.34.jpg

View more options

sounds nasty!    can' see the pictures for some reason - the're just showing as triangles in boxes...

View more options
Administrator

@stevebevan

So that we can look into this further, see the private message I've sent for how to get in touch.

View more options

Hi Steve

Although you have suggested your unit is hot, has it actually failed?

As in, are all the lights out?

If it hasn't failed competly and was still operational when it was unplugged, please contact me immediately via Private Message and don't plug the device back in, even if to check if it is working still.

Although running hot, if it has not failed and it is in pre-failure stages, I would like to see this and have it put in for analysis as a lot of information could be obtained while in this condition.

It certainly would go a long way in helping to disprove Vodafone's position that these failures are mains supply rated.

View more options

Quite a bit of soot really, would be good to see the other side of the circuit board..  When the 2 screws with the locking washers come out, the board comes away by unplugging the pin connector array.

View more options

i've just received a free sure signal 3, and its pretty useless, takes an age to connect and i have to disable wifi and make a few calls to encourage a connection. Plus is runs like radiator hot, must be 40+ degrees c

View more options

Hi,

I spot the problem in those pics, the unit is designed to explode. I suspect the  fuse is of the littlefuse 392 series. See the partial data sheet below, it has a breaking capacity of 25A. That is to say it can stop a current of up to 25A, when a socket can provide hundreds if not thousands amps to flow into a fault. BS EN 60950, the European statndards for most consumer electronics state that a fuse with a breaking capacity of 1500A or greater should be used. There is also a need for testing to simulate faults such as the capacitor shorting out and if it goes bang and is covered in soot then further testing is required.Littelfuse_Fuse_392_Datasheet.pdf(2).pdf

View more options

The same thing happened to my Suresignal, the internal fuse blew its cover, the mains rectifier had 2 of its diodes shorted, the mains input filter was open circuit and a chip blew to pieces.

I repaired it by supplying 5 volts DC from an external source. This needs to be capable of supplying 1 amp. Most 5 volt USB supplies are marked 2 amps but can not even deliver 1. The unit has a 13 amp socket on the front which is handy for the external 5 voly supply.

Hamid

View more options

Inside the suresignal there are 2 black electrolytic capacitors side by side, rated at 25 volts DC. Just feed 5 volts from an external source to the iner capacitor. The lower connection is the negative.

One important thing. There are 2 wires from the mains plug to the circuit board. Make sure to cut both of these. The idea is the suresignal gets its power from an external source and has no connection to the mains.

If you don't understand any of these, leave it alone.

Hamid

View more options

Here's how to fix the suresignal after it blows up.

First cut the 2 wires from the live and neutral connections on the plug which is on the front cover.

Get a 5 volt DC power suply which can deliver 1 amp or more. Don't use a USB charger because these don't deliver 1 amp even it's specified on the unit.

Solder the plus lead to the upper terminal of the capacitor and the minus lead to the lower terminal as in the attached pictures.

Drill a few holes on the back for ventilation.

Good luck,

Hamid

One more picture of the fixed and working suresignal

Hamid

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @hamidmustafa

You must only use the Sure Signal in accordance with the guidelines, instructions and other specifications provided to you from time to time.

In not doing so your warranty would be null and void and you would be liable.

Viki.

View more options

Viki, I am a qualified electronics engineer with many years experience in building and repair of  electronic instruments. I also have many years of experience in embedded controllers, single chip micros etc etc and I can tel you that this suresignal thing must be designed by inexperienced people. It uses sub standard components and as you can see from many users, it blows up, luckily the 2 amp fuse shatters and prevents burning down your house. As for the software, when it is powered up, all it needs to do is get a few numbers from the vodafone servers, and at 10 megabits per second download speed, it shoul take less than half a second to boot up. Instead, the stupid thing keeps flashing its lights and can take 10 to 15 minutes to start working. What a joke. The external 5 volt supply I fitted makes the unit safe, and no, I don't want a free replacement suresignal from vodafone as I would be afraid it could go on fire.

Hamid

View more options