Skip to content
main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Vodafone Sure Signal

Suresignal V3 - Overheated, Blew Up, Exploded, Hot, Burnt out & Dead with no Lights

4: Newbie

i think the best course of action is Trading standards, something is clearly wrong here. I refuse to leave mine in as it gets approx 40 degrees after 30 minutes, i spoke to VF and they said its normal but never plug anything in the front of it (so why is it there) but it will never explode, its designed to shut down safely before. However reading this and the amazon store page for this item, it clearly is unsafe and should be recalled

View more options
11: Established

Viki... are you the new face on the block?

Welcome to the disgruntled "shmoking n expla-oding" SureSignal user corner..

I thought the guy had already claimed that his unit was out of warranty and doubt after modification he would insult himself to assume Vodafone would offer any kind of replacement, warranty or none.

I agree with making the device 'safe' in removing the high voltage components from operation and running from a safer low voltage external source, although I would strongly not recommend anyone without knowledge to even attempt it.

Instead of hacking a low voltage supply into mine, I will instead be uprating the capacitors to better quality versions (as your factory or designers should have done) on my brand new unit in order to prevent it exploding again in 2 years time.

I prefer not to run the risk of fire over the loss of warranty on a device with the potential to trip the electric supply or at worst, burn the house down after a 'two pence' capacitor failure.

As Hamid already said and myself many times over.. Maybe if Vodafone (sorry, Alcatel) had designed this product properly without leading Trading Standards down a path of lies and deceit falsely claiming 'transient surges', then none of these burnt out, fire hazard, mains supply affecting devices would have been an issue and replacements or modifications would not be required.

For over 3 years Vodafone have [on the Forum and on the phone] denied any issue, any knowledge of failure and even gone to far as to say that units with clearly exploded components inside are the result of a 'perfectly safe and normal' failure which anyone with a brain and some basic knowledge of electronics  will clearly understand, this is not the case!!

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

View more options
3: Seeker

Hello,

Unfortunately my SureSignal v3 has suffered the same fate and this does indeed seem like a common fault and a potentially dangerous product.  It has until recently worked reliably but suddenly failed triggering an RCD trip on the mains consumer unit.  It has also always been plugged into a surge protector which makes me question this fault being blamed on voltage surges.  Please advise on how to get this resolved as we are now without Vodafone mobile reception.

View more options

Please contact your trading standards and retain the unit so it can undergo electrical strength tests in the post exploded state.

View more options

Even if Vodafone gave me a free replacement, I would not use it, they are not safe. See my previous posts on repairing the unit and making it safe.

You can do the repair / modification if you have basic electrical or electronic knowledge. Don't attempt this repair unless you know what you are doing and understand my instructions. Make sure to cut the 2 wires from the back of the mains plug at both ends so that there no mains voltage inside.

My unit was repaired a few months ago and is working perfectly.

Hamid

View more options

@stevenhunter I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options
2: Seeker

Afternoon all,

Another SS3 that's gone pop here. It's timing was perfect as I was in the shower at the time!

At least I was at home since it knocked out the whole circuit, which also has our fridge & freezer on, so I was able to reset the tripped breaker and didn't lose the frozen food.

Just been into our local VF store who weren't very interested "If you give it to me I'll send it off for testing" Err, no thanks.

Pics attached - don't think there's much to test when you see the burn marks and bits rattling round inside!

Guess it's Trading Standards next then.

Yep, I'll be reporting mine to trading standards too.  Strangely after posting here at the weekend, I had a pm from someone at Vodafone asking me to contact them directly using a special code and online form.  Regrettfully thye haven't bothered replying to that despite me chasing them up twice.  My understanding was that they were replacing these and I was expecting to go through some kind of process but alas it seems they are not acutally interested.

View more options

@Steve_W I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

@stevenhunter I've checked to see if we've received any emails from yourself via the email address registered in your profile, however couldn't see anything. 

Please get in touch via the private message we previously sent, ensuring you clear your cache and cookies and using a different email address (if required).

View more options

Hi,

If it has exploded like that, it still has to pass certain electrical strength tests. It would be interesting to test one that has exploded and see if it still passes.

View more options

OK I have just submitted the form with the code again (for 3rd time!) using the email address associated with this profile.  Please check and confirm you have received my message.

View more options

@stevenhunter If you've completed the form, you'll have received an automated email response with a reference number (it looks like #11234567). 

Please let me know your reference. 

If you didn't get an automated reponse, then I'll provide an alternative way of getting in touch.

View more options

@Rahim - No automated response received from any of the 4 occasions I've submitted the form!  

View more options

@stevenhunter I've sent you a new private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options

Many thanks for your info. I recently had the same burnt out SS3 failure.  I contacted Vodafone via Chat and they have made a note on my account to the effect that I can have a replacement FOC upon presentation of the old unit at a Vodafone shop.  Thumbs up to Vodafone so far !   

View more options
11: Established
I wouldn't go that far..

Although Vodafone are giving away free replacements they still will not admit a flaw in this product and recall every affected device out in the field leaving many others at risk.

Claims that they hsve suffered transients is an insult and I am currently working to disprove this rubbish..

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

View more options

@Rahim

Thanks - just completed the form you sent me the PM link to. Guess I'll hear from you guys soon about a replacement Sure Signal?

View more options
I would not accepr a replacement if it's going to blow up the same way and trip my main circuit breaker.
Hamid
View more options

That's a valid point Hamid; I'm hoping that the improvements made "to improve the customer experience" that Jeroen mentions on page 1 of this post are actually improvements that stop it blowing up!

That would certainly rate as an improved experience in my eyes! Smiley Happy

Steve

View more options

my Sure Signal is less than a month old, and it gets that hot (as hot as a radiator) i don't feel safe leaving it on while i'm not next to it, i really don't wanna risk death cos it blows and manages to trigger an electrical firein the middle of the night or come home from work to no house and 3 dead cats. Or even on a less dramatic scale, blows the power and takes out another electrical device in the house, even blowing a surge protector would be annoying enough

Otherwise it's ok, bit pap that i have to turn 4G off to get it to connect and it takes between 5-20mins to be ready after plugging it in

View more options