Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suresignal catches fire

RealMcCoy
2: Seeker

See my photos of the internals.

My suresignal started smoking then failed. Its out of warranty but its very worrying. It looks like the transformer on the switched mode power supply over heated. Please note the scorch marks on the capacitor and plastic insulating sheet.

10 REPLIES 10

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Although it may be an isolated case it is still very worrying.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @RealMcCoy

There has also been a past post where something similar happened with their Sure Signal. 

Have you spoken with Vodafone Customer service ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Not contacted vodafone yet. I took into work in to have a look at the insides first as the SS is screwed together with security screws and I didn't have the correct tools at home. I was hoping it was just a fuse but looks fairly terminal to me !

kids

BandOfBrothers

@RealMcCoy wrote:

Not contacted vodafone yet. I took into work in to have a look at the insides first as the SS is screwed together with security screws and I didn't have the correct tools at home. I was hoping it was just a fuse but looks fairly terminal to me !

Ah it may have been better not to open up the Sure Signal as it could be considered that the issue has been introduced by it being opened up by an unauthorised engineer. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I had kinda written it off anyway. I don't need it now as we have fairly good 4G coverage. I thought a warning to other people would be better. Definately looks like a product recall. Perhaps an email to BBC watchdog ?

kids

@RealMcCoy It certainly seems that someone needs to take a serious look at the problems.

God forbid that there is a bad fire caused by a Sure Signal catching fire, also as the problem has been highlighted a few times Vodafone would find themselves with some serious legal problems for compensation  should that happen.

Zetamax2

My sure Signal also failed in a more spectacular fashion. While away on holiday it went bang and there are scorch marks to the front socket and all around the casing where the two halves join together. Very frightening as I was not there to see and thankfully the mains circuit breaker dropped out probably preventing a fire! The unfortunate addition is that the same ring main operated my fridge freezer and all the contents were also lost.

E-mailed Vodafone but no response. Anybody else had any response form them on this.

If no reply is forthcoming I am going to the Health and Safety Excutive. This is SO dangerous.

@Zetamax2 I've sent you a private message regarding your issue.