Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suresignal stopped working on Virginmedia

ACBealing
4: Newbie

Can you look at my Suresignal 1 please. Serial 21224324067  Not connecting but unit seems alive presently lights 1 and 2 lit..  Done a factory reset.  Speedtest results app 55mb down 3mb up. Ip address from the link 80.7.47.45   Pingtest result B* ping 24ms jitter 1ms 

traceroute results below, don't look good to me.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

F:\Users\Andrew>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms sotn-core-2a-xe-817-0.network.virginmedia.net [8
6.22.184.85]
4 19 ms 13 ms 13 ms popl-bb-1c-ae14-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.175.30]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 17 ms 15 ms 30 ms nrth-bb-1b-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254
.42.218]
7 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms tele-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
174.18]
8 22 ms 19 ms 40 ms ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
9 19 ms 18 ms 19 ms 85.205.0.93
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

F:\Users\Andrew>^A

F:\Users\Andrew>

Does this indicate an ISP issue?

Thanks

Andrew Bealing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi ACBealing,

This is a slight shot in the dark, but you could try replacing your power supply.

Most V1 power supplies are degrading now due to age and should be replaced.

When they degrade, they cause unusually odd symptoms on the Sure Signal, one of the symptoms is similar to your problem.

Please ignore the fact that the power light is showing as ok, that is a red herring.

If you require a power supply, they are readily available on Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 inc.delivery.

Good luck,

Mike.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @ACBealing

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

@ACBealing

We have checked your Sure Signal and attempted to send an update. We received an error saying we were unable to establish a connection.

To rule out a fault with the device please connect it to your router using a different Ethernet cable, you can also try to connect to the Internet at another location such as a friend or relatives house.

If you are unable to make a connection there maybe a fault with the device. Given that the device is outside of it's warranty you may need to replace it.

Thanks for the response.  I have found another cable and am now testing it with that. I will try and find another location to test it with in a few days.   I discussed this issue with Virgin thinking it was an issue with the connection and they got me to do a ping test to your servers which failed to get a response.  Is there any relevance to that being an issue in this case?

@ACBealing

Can you make sure that in your router settings that the IPSEC option has been ticked?

So we can check further for you, have you been able the Sure Signal and new cable in a different location?

ACBealing
4: Newbie
Thanks. Yes and yes but not tweaked the router settings at the new location yet. Will try over the weekend.

I have now retreived the suresignal having checked with you by phone that it connected yesterday 26 June 2015 but it was not connected when I collected it today app14.10 27 June.  Now plugged in at home and its trying to connect.  Please attempt to send the upgrade again over next few days and advise next steps to regain connection as I have no signal on 3 vodafones and Suresignal worked well for 5 years until last week or so with no changes here.  Port forwarding and IPSec enabled

Were you able to connect to the Sure Signal in a different location?

Please make sure to perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Yes according to your helpline it did connect and that should be on record.  It wasn't connected when I collected it though. The friends where I put it both received texts confirming that they can use my suresignal, presumably as a result of being on the list of authorised numbers, does this indicate that it connected and picked up their phones?  Unit was reset and connected to my router yesterday afternoon 27 June.  Are you servers working?  When Virgin ran a ping test from my PC to you it got no response.  Only advice from Vodafone I get seems to be to reset the suresignal and wait which I have done multiple times.  Virgin also opened all the ports last week but can't see what difference that would make as it worked perfectly for last 5 years without those set and no changes this end.  Please help!

cineriv

Hi ACBealing,

This is a slight shot in the dark, but you could try replacing your power supply.

Most V1 power supplies are degrading now due to age and should be replaced.

When they degrade, they cause unusually odd symptoms on the Sure Signal, one of the symptoms is similar to your problem.

Please ignore the fact that the power light is showing as ok, that is a red herring.

If you require a power supply, they are readily available on Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 inc.delivery.

Good luck,

Mike.