Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Surestart v3 headache!

Servlan
4: Newbie

Im ready for throwing this Surestart out of the window.  Since purchasing the unit I have found that I cannot register this against my business account, so it has to be assigned to my partners account.

Needless to say we got it up and running and today I had a power cut only to find out it is flashing red and two amber lights - yet when I follow the reset sequence, it does not turn off after 30 seconds (and when I release it switches the unit off)...

Tried to speak to Vodafone but because I am not the primary account holder they cannot give me support.

Vodafone, please help otherwise I will return this item as it is not fit for purpose.

Many thanks

Paul King

27 REPLIES 27

Servlan
Hi Jeff,

ISO is BT Fibre infinity but as the sure signal is connected to the apple airport, the airport is routing traffic to the BT router and was working fine.

What I have an issue with is that when I purchased the unit they never told me that you need a personal Vodafone account. I have a business account with them yet you cannot use a sure signal on a business account - hence why I have had to use my partners

Servlan
If I get a response back tomorrow I will let you know how I get on...

Cheers

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

You can't use a Sure Signal on a business account? Who told you that?

My account is now a consumer but it was a business account for many years and I had a Sure Signal with it. I know of at least 2 companies that provide Sure Signals to users either in their home or office.

I have BT infinity and still using the BT Home Hub. I thought about the Airport but, like all Apple products, it's ridiculous expensive. Mine has always worked fine out of the box.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

@Servlan Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Sarah

Dear Sarah,

My results are:

Download Speed - 30mbps

Upload Speed - 5.73mbps

Ping Test - B* (Mos 4.33 / Ping 30ms)

My External IP is 217.42.78.72

TraceRt

C:\Users\pking>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * 25 ms 31.55.185.181
4 27 ms 28 ms 26 ms 31.55.185.180
5 28 ms 27 ms 26 ms 195.99.127.142
6 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms 195.99.127.8
7 31 ms 28 ms 29 ms 195.99.127.19
8 31 ms 30 ms 35 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
9 29 ms 32 ms 30 ms 85.205.0.93
10 * * * Request timed out.

Sorry Serial Number is 42151259886

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

If it has been working fine for months, and then a power cut has knocked it for six, either something that had been configured in one of the routers has reset itself, or something needs poking to bring it back to life.

I am guessing you have tried resetting the suresignal, which will force it to try to re-download the config files for it?

A de-register, re-reigster sometimes helps it find itself again.

To initally get the suresignal working, did you have to make any changes to the BT Hub? (such as enabling Port Clamping)

Is the suresignal plugged into the AirPort? Can it be plugged into the BT Home Hub directly to remove one level of complexity from the network...

Also very strange on the 'cannot be used by a business user'... Unless the size of account makes a difference, i've got around 2 dozen units attached to my account for use by people in the company.

Reset has been done, but I have not yet tried a de-register - do you recommend this?

No changes has been made to the router and I have plugged directly into the BT Home hub but still comes up with the error.

Thanks

Paul

grolschuk

I'd personally give the deregistration a go, leaving it overnight so all parts of the system can catch up, then register it again in the morning...

And then reset the SS again so it thinks it's a new device on a new registration, a good press of the reset button for 30 or so seconds, while powered on should sort it.

What version is the home hub? 4 and 5's have a tick box in the settings webpage that can help the suresignal get through the firewall and connect. (port clamping)

Although earlier versions don't, so that won't help.

Ok thanks.  Where is port clamping as I have home Hub5.

Cheers

Paul