cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TPLink router and SureSignal work at different post code but not the registered one

TEchManSam
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am trying to get a SureSignal version 1 working for a customer at their address following problems with their router. It has previously worked OK occasionally requiring a reset.

The router has been replaced with a TP-Link TD-W8970 and works great with everything at his office, except for the SureSignal. 

I have taken the exact same router and sure signal setup (without reconfiguring) to my premises (5 miles away, different post code), where it all works fine. A test call was made to and from a registed phone at my premises. The phone activity light was active during the calls.

My ISP is TalkTalk line speed 12-14 down.

My customers ISP (where it does not work but is registered to) is Farming Online Ltd  (http://www.farming.co.uk) with a speed of between 4.9 and 6 down.

All specified ports that I can find are open. In desperation I have put the SureSignal into the router DMZ.

The sure signal  appears to detect the internet but will not connect to the vodafone system.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

My feeling is that it is an ISP related issue but I need to know what exactly I should ask/tell them to do?

Thanks 

21 REPLIES 21

Yes, that most likely was the date that I tested it at another location. The thing is, I tested it plugged into the same router that it is currently plugged into (at the other location ) and it was fine. I even tested a call on it, not problems.

No settings on the router have changed since that date.  The router was logging into the same ISP. Only the line and local exchange had changed.

A neighbour also uses Suresignal and his works ok.

Any other suggestions?

Hi TEchManSam,

If the same router and Sure Signal work elsewhere, it suggests a possible line speed issue.

If there’s a variance in download speeds, the upload speeds may also change.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the Sure Signal and router on the neighbour’s connection to see if it works there.

If it does then it’d be a case of checking his connection speed to see if this is making the difference.

Let me now how you go on.

Thanks,

Andrew

I will be trying that, but it will be a week or 2 until they are available. 

I will report back then.

The suresignal works at the neighbouring property when connected to their own router.

The TP Link cannot get an internet connection there.

I tested the TP-link and Sure signal back at my property afterwards and it again connected within 10 mins.

Any suggestions??

Hi TEchManSam,

Thanks for that.

It's great to see that it worked at the other address.

We've tried all the options we have to check. As the Sure Signal and router work at alternative locations this only leaves an ISP issue.

You'll need to speak to the ISP for further help.

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

I did suspect that there may be an ISP issue, but what exactly should I be asking them to check, technically?

ie Ports, security, available protocols?

What settings do they need to have enabled?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi TEchManSam

Thanks for coming back to us. You've got the right questions to ask your ISP. I'm sure they'll be able to help further :).

Sukhi

Ok I'll rephrase my question.

What settings does the ISP need to have enabled/allow through for the Sure Signal to function?

Hi TEchManSam,

I'd start by showing them a recent traceroute and asking them if they can see anything which may be blocking the connection.

Also, check with them if they're using the PPPoE or PPPoA protocol. The router can support both, but the Sure Signal is designed for PPPoA. 

If they're using PPPoE, check with them if the "Bridge" setting on the router will work to allow PPPoA devices to run.

As you're moving the router around, the settings on it may need to be checked. The inbuilt firewall may also clash with any separate firewalls in place.

To be sure this is set up correctly, please check the following:

- UPnP is enabled

- The following ports are open for forwarding:

- The following IPs are allowed on the router and all firewalls:

• 212.183.133.177-179
  • 212.183.133.181-182
  • 212.183.131.128-191

Dave

Thanks Dave.

That is the exact information I was after.