Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Trying to set up V3 and getting nowhere

ayre78
4: Newbie

My previous V3 sure signal just died, so was sent a brand new replacement and having a mare trying to get it to work,  My internet provider/broadband package is exactly the same, nothing has changed at all, but this unit is refusing to work.

Initially, plugged the unit in and had flashing power light and solid orange 'in use' light.  After being sent back and forth between Vodafone and Sky, I assigned a static IP address to the unit, opened up a load of ports and the power light changed to solid and I got the internet light flashing white.  And it's now been doing this for over a day.  Have reset my router, reset the sure signal unit, double checked ports etc are open, and still the same.

It's got to the point where I feel I'm being fobbed off by Vodafone technical support as last night the advisor told me she could see the problem was at Vodafones end and would re-sync the unit.  This morning, the advisor told me that the unit hasn't ever connected with Vodafone.  I asked, how come the woman last night told me she would re-sync it if the unit couldn't be seen there, and she assured me it had been re-set.  Again, asked how they could re-set it if she was telling me they couldn't even see it and was told 'I see your point, I'll forward it on as feedback'.  Totally fed up with customer service to be honest as this is the tail end of a situation that has been going on for over 2 months now.

I'm posting here as a final desperate plea for help from someone that knows what they're on about, as I'm not getting anything like that over the phone.

My speedtest results are 19meg download and 1.62 upload

Ping 23ms

IP address  87.81.241.195

Sure signal serial number:  42142474032

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jaime>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 10 ms 11 ms ip-89-200-131-244.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.244
]
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
5 11 ms 10 ms 9 ms 85.205.0.93
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ayre78, 

Your Sure Signal hasn't ever made a connection to our servers. 

I can see you've tried to add users to your Sure Signal which have failed.

Please deactivate your Sure Signal for at least six hours and then re-register it. You don't need to add your number, this will be automatically the owner. Simply add any other numbers you want to be able to use it. 

If possible, also try a new Ethernet cable to see if this helps. 

Kay

Thanks.

Yes, tried to add my husbands number and was getting error message.

Have now de-registered the unit and will leave it as suggested, then try again.

Ok, Sure Signal was de-registered and left for around 19 hours before registering it again, left it for an hour and still just have the white flashing internet light.  Changed cables and this has had no effect.

As I have absolutely no phone signal at home and this has been going on for about 2 months now, I need to get this sorted urgently

I've managed to solve the issue.  Turns out, your advisors in your 'technical team' (and I use that term very loosely) on the phone have no idea how to perform a factory reset on the V3 unit.  During the few days I've been trying to get the unit to work, they have told me to hold the reset button for 30 seconds, remove power lead (explained there is no power lead as it's a plug) then told to unplug unit and plug back in.  I've also been 'told off' for holding the button for 30 seconds, was snapped at saying it's 20 seconds and just let go.

After reading through others threads on here, I've finally found an advisor detailing how to do a factory reset for a V3 sure signal, and it finally worked.

Perhaps you could pass on feedback to the phone technical team on how to do the basics with each version of these units, as this could all possibly have been sorted on day 1 if they gave out correct information.

Thanks.

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ayre78,

I’m sorry hear that you’ve had so much trouble getting this working.

I’m glad everything’s up and running for you now though.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Wayne