Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Two Year Old VSS1 Stopped Working

cheapcat
2: Seeker

I have had a Vodafone Sure Signal for just over two years, and it has worked fine throughout this period. However, last Wednesday (30th January) my wifi router crashed and I had to factory reset it. The router is now fine, but for some reason my VSS1 is no longer working, and hasn't worked for about nine days. I have restored the port forwarding rules.

I currently have NO lights on the VSS1 box, but depending on when I look I get one light, two lights, two lights and the fourth light flashing, but I never get the steady three lights that I am hoping for.

If I factory reset the VSS1 box (hold down reset whilst plugging in the box, and wait until the lights cycle), it will go through the sequence one light, two lights, two lights with fourth flashing, then it will go to NO lights being on.

Can you reset / reregister the box at your end and let me know what kind of communication is happening with my box?

I have provided the diagnostic information that is often requested in this forum below. Please can you help?

Download speed 33.23 Mbps
Upload Speed is 8.61 Mpbs

Ping test is: Ping 15ms, JItter 2ms, Packet Loss 0%, Line quality A

My IP Address is: 94.6.19.199
ISP is Sky Fibre Broadband

Sure Signal Serial Number is 21230720076
Date of registration 01/02/2011 09:50:45

tracert 212.183.133.177
This shows "Request timed out"

ping 212.183.133.177
This shows "Request timed out"

Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

cheapcat

I was just wondering if Vodafone Support were reading this forum, and if someone could give me some feedback in terms of what I can do next?

Many thanks.

I've tried deregistering, reregistering and resetting the box. Let's see what happens.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey cheapcat,

You were next in the queue to be answered too :Winking_smiley:

Let me know if you need any further help following your actions.

Cheers,

LeeH

Unfortunately, I am still getting the same behaviour.

It goes through the usual cycle, and just as it gets to 2 lights, and a flashing 4 light, it then goes to the rather bizarre state of having NO LIGHTS AT ALL lit. After a few minutes, the power light comes on, and the cycle repeats.

Are you getting any signs of communication at your end?

What does the "no lights" situation indicate? This is something that I have not seen before this box stopped working? Is it likely to be faulty?

Bear in mind that this box has worked flawlessly for two years, almost to the exact date!

Many thanks.

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi cheapcat,

I can see that your Sure Signal did make contact with the network at 03:24 this morning.  Can you confirm that it's now up and running again?

Thanks,

Phil

Unfortunately, my Sure Signal box is still not working, and hasn't worked since the 30th January. I am unable to make or receive calls from home, which is a shame as I work from home. Please can you escalate this issue so that it can be fixed?

I tried to buy a new Sure Signal box today from the Trafford Centre, but there are none in stock. The guy in the shop phoned around the other local Vodafone shops such as Manchester City Centre, Bolton, Wigan, etc, but they also have none in stock. Also, there doesn't appear to be anyone who knows anything about when they might be back in stock.

There doesn't appear to be any way of ordering a Sure Signal online either.

Please can you help?

Many thanks.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi cheapcat,

Unfortunately the new Sure Signals are currently out of stock on the back of their popularity, however when they come back in you'll be able to purchase one from here. We've no delivery date at present, however the manufacturers are aiming to have some with us by the 2nd week of March (subject to production delays).

Cheers, Ben

I received a new VSS3 Sure Signal to replace my VSS1 box that had stopped working (see earlier parts of this thread).

After showing a solid red power light and a flashing first light (planet icon?) for a few minutes, it is now stuck on showing a flashing red power light and two solid orange second and third icons (bubble on stairs and phone icons?) After a few minutes it goes back to a solid red power light and a flashing first planet icon, and the cycle then repeats.

I have set up port forwarding as per the usual instructions - my ISS is Sky Fibre Broadband.

Here are my diagnostics:

ping 10ms
download 21.30Mbps
upload 9.23Mbps

PIng test
ping 17ms
jitter 1ms
Line Quality A
Packet Loss 0%

External IP address 94.6.19.199

Sure Signal Serial Number: 40130439819

tracert 212.183.133.177
Shows all 30 hops as "Request timed out."

ping 212.183.133.177 shows "Request timed out. Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss).

Notice that my tracert is still "timed out" as per the original thread above, but this didn't appear to cause any alarm to the person replying to my original query. Is this not a bit odd that I get "time outs" when trying a tracert or ping back to 212.183.133.177?

Please can you help? It has now been over five weeks since my original Sure Signal stopped working.

Many thanks.

Within a few minutes of posting this, the new VSS3 Sure Signal box suddenly started working! :smileyhappy:

I will leave it for 24 hours just to check that it is still working, I will report back tomorrow!

Very happy to see this working again!

:smileyhappy: