Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Update to IP address block geo-location

darkorb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I work for a company who has recently had a new IP block allocated by RIPE which used to be allocated to a Spanish company. Since then we have been unable to get any connection with our Sure Signal.

Would you kindly be able to advise me of the best method of checking that you have the correct geo-location data for the IP block in question?

Kind regards,

Alex Smith

20 REPLIES 20

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi darkorb,

Sure!

Please post the IP range here and we can check it out for you.

Cheers,

LeeH

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi darkorb,

It looks like this is still showing as a Spanish IP on one of the systems we check, and only UK IP addresses can be used.

I'll pass on the link you've provided to see if this can be updated.

Dave

Thanks, it was allocated 20th Aug so I guess it doesn't get updated often on your end :Smiling:

Most of the DB's, including the Maxmind GeoIP DB have it updated already.

Thanks for looking into it.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi darkorb,

I've checked for you and the IP 193.47.164.0 is now on the whitelist.

As this was requested as part of the full range you gave, your IPs should now all be unlocked.

Dave

If I've helped at all today, why not leave me a little feedback?

Thanks!

I am hoping someone can help me with the same issue. I have called the Vodafone technical support team 4/5 times now and have been unable to get anyone that knows anything about this.

We have been allocated an IP address range from our US counterparts. But the address is registered in the UK: http://www.ipligence.com/geolocation. we have requested that all the databases be updated with this information. But obviously a database that Vodafone uses hasnt been updated. As we dont know what database this is and when I have asked your technical team no one can tell us. Are you able to assist? there is mention of adding the IP subnet to a whitelist. Is that still possible? 

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi k1walsingham.

I've requested that the team check and add this to the whitelist, as soon as I hear anything, I'll post back here.

DaveCD

*Update*

Hi k1walsingham.

Please can you confirm the URL you are having difficulties with as the one in your post is not blocked.

DaveCD

It is not a URL that is blocked. Its the IP Subnet that Vodafone thinks is in the US when in fact its registered to BNY Mellon but located in the UK. You can check this here: http://www.ipligence.com/geolocation

So the subnet that we are using is:170.61.236.0/23 [170.61.236.0 thru 170.61.237.255]

In a nutshell since the IP address range change, Vodafone now think it’s in the US but it’s not, it’s in the UK and has been registered in the UK. Although I think possibly one of the databases Vodafone specially uses to get the geolocation has not been updated. If we could find out what database this is, we could request its updated. Or is there a way around this? using the whitelist?