Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using suresignal with satellite broadband

RuralRich
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I live in a rural property without a landline (£22 per month for nothing - less than 0.2Mb broadband speed!) so I have opted for Tooway satellite broadband.

The problem is that the ping rate for my broadband is close to 1 second (normally less than 0.1s) and although my suresignal worked brilliantly at first, after a recent power cut it no longer see the internet.

I've followed the reset instructions and tried every tech trick I know (I'm the network manager at work) but nothing is working.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RuralRich Please can you confirm which version Sure Signal you have, along with your serial number? 

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established

Rich

Firstly, can you confirm there are lights on it?

With experience with SatBB, if your ping time is so long, then first check the DNS settings with your provider. Are you pringing an IP or an address?

SatBB is very latent by nature and in the past when selling this service, I have advised that 'live' services and VPN could not be supported althought this was a few years ago and I am sure by now it has improved.

The issue I am sure, is latency and suggest contacting your provider to find the reason for it, and try to reduce it and confirm what they would expect to see.

More than likely it cannot concentrate the VPN link due to the delayed data packets over the system.

You would not be able to use VoIP over such latency and suspect you have no chance with SureSignal until it is lowered.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

The issue with satellite broadband is awlays the ping rate. The signal needs to travel up to the satellite and then back down again before it actually hits the real internet so ping rates will always be many times longer than wired/cable broadband.

I've seen latency of 300ms up to 750ms and when my suresignal works on the satellite it must have been a good day and once it was hooked up to was fine.

For several reasons, safety in a power cut or an emergency at home being the main ones, I've decided to go back to having a landline and I've got a decent deal with BT. The suresignal will work and being a new unlisted number I hope I'll be pestered less by cold callers.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@RuralRich Thank you for keeping us updated! 

We're glad to hear that you're up and running again.