Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V2 SS won't connect

stevehunt100
4: Newbie

SS s/no 40110908536 is registered with my account now but won't connect.  Red light steady but two white lights just keep flashing.  I have reset SS and waited over 24 hours but no change.  My firewall has all the necessary ports open and addresses allowed.

Tracert:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.100  

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

3    72 ms    82 ms    62 ms  ip-89-200-132-110.ov.easynet.net [89.200.132.110 ]  

4    98 ms    61 ms    94 ms  te0-6-0-2.er10.thlon.ov.easynet.net [89.200.134. 213]  

5    69 ms    77 ms    82 ms  195.50.122.113  

6   107 ms    89 ms    98 ms  195.50.122.66  

7   107 ms     *      107 ms  85.205.116.14  

8     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

10     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

11     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've finally got it to work but have had to go to ridiculous lengths.

1. the above list of ip address isn't enough.  Your server at 88.82.13.183 was being blocked.  That's not on the list.  Have you got servers you don't know about?

2. I've had to set an extra firewall rule that allows the vodafone servers to connect to my router's external ip.  This shouldn't be necessary - at most I should only have to allow your servers to connect to my internal address - the SS device itself.  NAT should handle this but it clearly isn't so I had to allow your sites to connect to my router.  Very odd.

3. Then it worked for a few minutes and I tracked it down to my dynamic ip address changing so I had to change the rule to cover my new external ip address.  I WILL HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY FEW DAYS WHENEVER MY ip CHANGES.

4. Then it worked for a few minutes and then stopped.  Everything on my network stopped.  This was caused by the router seeing incoming traffic (88.82.13.183 again) as a DOS attack as it was hitting me with more than 150 requests per second.  WHY????  Relaxing the DOS threshold to 300 fixes this.

5. What a crock.

View solution in original position

32 REPLIES 32

Hi stevehunt100,

I'm glad to see this is working for you. I agree it's a pain with the dynamic IP but as you say the NAT should be handling things which would take out the need for the rule. That's something that's down to the NAT and firewall security, though, so it's not something we'd be able to help with.

I'll admit that I haven't seen that IP range previously, but we do add new ones from time to time as needed.

Thanks for posting that. We can get our checks updated and others can see your solution to see if it helps them.

Dave

My old account is dead and I need to re-register one sure signal with my new account and sell the other one.  How do I do this?

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi stevehunt100,

If you post the serial numbers of your SureSignal units one of the eForum Team will be able to get the ball rolling to de-register them. They will nee to contact you to confirm some security details before they can complete the process but they will send you a private message regarding this.

Nabs

thanks, they are:

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi stevehunt100

Get in touch here so we can confirm security with you before we de-register the Sure Signals :).

Thanks

Sukhi

very sorry, I misread one of the serial numbers, they should be:

Hi stevehunt100,

Thanks for the updated details.

I can see that we’ve replied to your email today.

Once we’ve received your reply we’ll be with you as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Andrew

SS version 2 s/no 40110908544 won't even reset.  All I get is red power light.  When turning on power, the 3 lights flash briefly and then just the red power light stays on.  I've tried holding the rest button down for at least a minute but nothing flashes.  Is it dead?

ps I did reply to your post No 4 yesterday...

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi stevehunt100,

Now we've got your details on an email, we'll be able to check this for you. We answer all emails in chronological order and aim to reply within 48 hours.

Looking at the serial number at a glance though, it's not down as being retired for none use so we can rule that out. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben