Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V2 Sure Signal not working with Galaxy Note 3

simonb007
4: Newbie

Dear All,

I am writing in this forum due to a lack of assistance from Vodafone Small Business.

I upgraded to 4G back in December and was impressed with the call / signal quality.

My problems started a few months ago, when my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on 4G started to suffer with a poor signal at home.  My signal dropped to 1 bar on 4G with calls often going through to my answerphone. The first I knew about this was when I was getting text messages regarding a voicemail message. Having checked the coverage checker, I found the following message :

"We're trying to fix a network issue which might be affecting call coverage. There are some challenging circumstances - so it's taking us longer than usual to get to the bottom of things. We'll update this page as soon as we know more."

This is a real issue for me, as my main place of work is my home.

A few months later, nothing has changed !

So in an attempt to try and get a better signal and overcome losing calls, I thought I would try using my old Sure Signal Box that i used with my Galaxy S2, which I might add, worked very well.. Having a perfect 3G signal would be acceptable compared with an intermittent 4G one.

So I set up my V2 Sure Signal box, re-registered it, opened all the ports on my firewall.. Phone connects to it with a full 3G signal. Everything seems great. Then I try to make a call... Each time I try to ring out, the call cuts off before the phone attempts to ring out. On the 3rd or 4th Attempt, I am able to make a call and the call quality is fine.

Then the real problem comes to light. I am sitting at home expecting a call and nothing comes through. I check the phone and it has full signal... So I try to ring it and it goes straight through to Answerphone. I switch the phone off and on again and I ring it and the call goes through via the Sure Signal.

Consequently, I phone Business Customer Services and they advise me to reset the Sure Signal. Upshot of this, is the problem remains the same. I phone Vodafone BCS again and they re-regsiter the box but this also makes no difference. 

I then phone again and speak to someone about the Sure Signal and the issues in my local area. I asked about the supposed "Issues in my area," but could not get an answer.  I asked about the new version of the Sure Signal and would it resolve the issues I was having, given that I am using a V2 box and the new "Plug" is available. The gentlemen I spoke suggested it might and agreed for me to exchange my V2 box for the new Plug version at my local store. So i go to my local store and explain the situation to the assistant, who then speaks to his boss. I am then told "We do not do exchanges... We can send it away for repair and IF found faulty will replace it."

I was advised that if I want the Plug version, it would cost me £100 ! So I walked out the shop.

I then speak to Vodafone BCS again and am advised that the person who said they would do an exchange had misinformed me.. I then am passed through to a Vodafone Sure Signal Level 2 person, who updates the firmware on my Sure Signal Box and advises me it should resolve the problem. Unfortunately not. The following day, several people try to call me and they get my answerphone. Meanwhile my phone has a full 3G signal.

So I phone Vodafone BCS once again and explain everything... I ask about a replacement Plug Version of the Sure Signal at their cost, not mine. The reason for this is that it appears there is a problem with the mast in my area which is not being resolved. There is no fix time. I am a Business customer, not that it makes any difference, and I begrudge paying out yet more money for a new box that may or may not work.

The person at Vodafone went and spoke to their "Manager" who basically said that they would not be replacing my Sure Signal and sorry but there is nothing they can do for me.. I then asked about leaving and was told "It will cost you £700"

I was also told that I was best off waiting for the mast issue to be fixed and that it would be done so in the next few days...Well the "few days" passed and nothing has improved. 

So I am currently stuck with a 4G phone that has a poor signal and the phone company says "Nothing we can do.."

Anyway has anyone else experienced similar issues with either the Note 3 and/or the V2 Sure Signal and if so, have you managed to resolve it ?

Thanks,

Simon

19 REPLIES 19

Hubris47
3: Seeker

I too have a Sure Signal 2. It hasn't been working for the last 36 hours. Both Vodaphone and I have reset it this morning. It worked for a couple of hours but the improvement didn't last. During my last call to the Technical people, in Egypt of all places, they said that the engineers were working on an issue with Sure Signal 2 boxes which was causing the problem and it should be fixed by 7 p.m. today. Fingers crossed. The same thing occurred about two weeks ago. I am not impressed by the recent service from Sure Signal. Living in a rural area, I rely on it to get a signal but of late it hasn't been reliable. The system that EE have sounds more reliable.

This problem has been going on for a lot longer than 36 hours. I would take the "it will be fixed by 7p.m" with a pinch of salt ! The amount of times I have been told the issue with my mast will be fixed by tonight and yet it never materialises !

As regards EE, I have used the connectivity via a Wireless router to make calls and it is flakey at best. This was on a client site with 10 phones connected to a router.

in the end, my client switched to O2 due to the poor service from EE, so beware.

Hubris47
Thanks for your advice re EE. A neighbour has been using their new system since last month and has had no issues bur we are single users.

I agree your 'pinch of salt' comment. It didn't happen last time when I was told the same thing.

Hubris47
As predicted. 7.39 and still not fixed! Frustrating.

simonb007
4: Newbie
Well I did say take it with a pinch of salt!

Funnily enough, no assistance from Vodafone......

No surprise there !

At least they are consistent.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi simonb007,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Hubris47 - Can you confirm who your internet service provider is? 

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi Sukhi,

I am with BT Internet. 

The issue seems to have been resolved this morning.  I haven't done any thing so the issue must have been as described by your technical people.  I hope it doesn't reoccur. 

Is there an issue with Sure Signal at the moment? I have heard that some work that was done by Vodafone went wrong and that you may still be in the process of correcting the issue.

You can find the speed test here http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3797990935

Ping Test http://www.pingtest.net/result/107382058.png

IP Address: 86.174.51.108

The tracer output was:

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    89 ms    98 ms    99 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]   2     8 ms     8 ms     7 ms  217.32.141.148   3     7 ms     7 ms     8 ms  217.32.141.206   4    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  212.140.235.66   5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.164.11   6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  31.55.164.109   7    11 ms    11 ms    12 ms  109.159.248.193   8    16 ms    16 ms    18 ms  core1-te0-15-0-17.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159. 248.34]   9    16 ms    15 ms    16 ms  peer1-xe3-3-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2 54.207]  10    17 ms    19 ms    19 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]  11    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  85.205.0.93  12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update.

For more information, please see here.

Cheers,

Laura