Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V2 & V3 connection issues - SOLVED

jzsj0
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

I'm posting this just in case the solution that  worked for me will also work for you. What got both my V2 & V3 SS boxes (finally) talking to the VF infrastructure is simply this:

Change your router connection to your ISP from PPPoE LLC to PPPoE VC-Mux.

That's it. No need to add all the port forwarding rules, no DMZ shenanigans, nada.

And, to save yourself waiting hours and hours when Vodafone tell you to register/de-register, call back in 24 hours, etc the V3 light sequence will tell you within a couple of minutes or not whether it can get through or not.

1) Hold reset button for 30 seconds
2) Power light will go solid, no other lights appear, SS reboots itself

3) Approx. 35 seconds later the internet light (first light immediately right of the power light) will slowly flash white

4) If it stops flashing after about 45 seconds, and the other two lights stay solid amber, it's failed.

At this point, you can sit staring at it for days (whilst VF send yet another reset which will never make its way through) and nothing will change.

I've no idea why changing the connection protocol should make that much of a difference, but I can reproduce the problem 100% of the time by simply toggling between the two settings. For those of you that are interested there's a pretty good description of the difference in this forum thread:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=44&topicid=53843

Initially I tried setting it to PPPoA LLC which set me in the right direction. The lights of my V2 SS *immediately* started their flashing sequence as soon as I'd made this change and the router had reset the connection to my ISP. *However*, whilst a soft connection reset worked, a power off/on of the router did not.

I suspect that it's because they dynamically assign IP's so, on reboot, this would have changed. Anyway, that was enough of a hint to work my way through all the other options until I found one that worked.

Now my router surives both soft reboot (i.e. rebooting from the web admin page) and a full power cycle - I don't intend to change it again any time soon!

The real issue is the lack of debugging capabilities of the SS box itself - *shame* on you Vodafone for wasting masses amount of everyone's time by not allowing at least a basic level of connectivity so you could see debug logs - or SOMETHING...

Good luck, hope this fix works for everyone else.

1 REPLY 1

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jzsj0,

Many thanks for posting the solution that’s worked for you.

It’ll give our forum members another option to try.

Cheers,

Andrew