Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V2 serial 40120538489

dboyd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

I have been trying to get this to connect via the 582n router for the past week, and it's very frustrating and have to say that the front line 191 support staff have been less than helpful to me.

In the end, I've used Telnet to allow the router VPN protocols from my PC to the router; turned the router firewall off and not done any port forwarding. The ISP is Plusnet, who just didn't want to know when the finally bothered to respond to my support request

Anyhow, now have some progress in the form of a solid power light and a solid system light, but still no 3G signal. Can anyone please advise me whether or not contact has finally been established between the SS servers and my little box? - I live in hope that in time the 3G will start....

Incidentally, the 3G indicator did flash on my iPhone momentarily and then go out again, usually whenever I was resetting the router  just adds to the frustration to watch it go out again every time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dboyd,

Make sure the ports are opened and if possible try a different ethernet cable.

Your upload speed is also quite slow, so please speak to your ISP to see if they can make any improvements.

Thanks,

Ian

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dboyd,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply below, including the following information:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks,

Matt B

Thanks

Info is

Download 6.70

Upload 0.33

Ping 55ms

Jitter 3ms

External ip 146.90.133.105

Serial as above

Tracert here

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/0f3530c6-7b57-495b-b259-e0ccf7f5c4f5/758f5013218bcfbf9bc957fa77...

Thanks

David

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dboyd,

From the traceroute I can see that the Sure Signal is not connecting to our servers.

Please make sure that all of the correct ports are open. You can find how to do this here.

I'd also recommend trying a different Ethernet cable.

Thanks,

Sukhi

Thanks

In the TG582n router configuration, do I need to forward the ports to the VSS or to the network's computer?

And should UPnP be on or off, please?

Any other config tips for this router / piece of junk would be much appreciated

David

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dboyd,

Make sure the ports are opened and if possible try a different ethernet cable.

Your upload speed is also quite slow, so please speak to your ISP to see if they can make any improvements.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi again

This started working a few days ago but only for a day or two, then no 3G signal once more. I've now replaced the router, with a tp link w8970 one; forwarded the ports and assigned a static IP address to the SS.

Are you able to tell whether any contact has been made with your servers, in last, say, 12 hours, please?

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dboyd,

I’ve checked your serial number and the last connection date to us is showing as: 13 Aug at 5pm.

Are you still experiencing any issues?

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I've changed the modem router to a TP-Link W8970, and after a lot of tweaking have required ports forwarded and system and phone lights flash for a while then the SS stops on a steady system light. It's less than 24 hurs since this happened using this modem, so should I wait to see if it ultimately connects?

I've bound the SS MAC number to a fixed IP, so should I try enabling the DMZ for that SS IP - at the moment it's disabled, but the ports are showing as forwarded.

regards

David

It's *still* not connecting, despite innumerable tweaks and resets: any further suggestions, please?