Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V3 power failure

nicmross20
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi,

I have a sure signal v3 (40124146834) - been working fine until this morning when house trip switch went in socket ring. Isolated the problem to the sure signal which smelled like it had been burning and I suspect it has shorted for some reason. No other appliances were affected and the socket works with other appliances since resetting the trip. However the sure signal is now unresponsive when plugged in. It also now rattles when gently shaken as if something is loose inside it. Is there a fuse that can be replaced or is this unit completely done in now?

Given nothing else in the house was affected should I be concerned about using these in future? I've noticed they tend to run quite warm when in use!

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

nmit
4: Newbie

Mine did the same - was running very hot.  Then one day, lights started flashing on the SS for no reason.   I unplugged it, plugged it back in, dead as a dodo.

Sent it in for repair (via local Vodafone shop) under warranty.  VF confirmed a dead unit , irrepairable and a replacement would be sent out.  That was 3 weeks ago.  Went back to shop on Thursday last week - they called Customer Service - "None in stock and no estimated delivery date" - so dont hold your breath.

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @nicmross20 and welcome to the eForum,

There certainly shouldn’t be any cause for concern, but it does sound like your Sure Signal is broken.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

Thanks,

Wayne

I too have had the exact same problem with my Sure Signal V3. Went on holiday for a week came home to find the wall socket not working. Replaced the fuse in the wall socket (it is a fused wall socket and it had blown). Everything that was plugged into that socket started working again once the 13amp fuse was replaced except for the Sure Signal.

No life in the Sure Signal whatsoever - i.e no lights!

When I took the Sure Signal out of the wall socket I could hear something rattling inside of the Sure Signal unit.

The unit was purchased in July 2013 - is it still under warranty?? (If so would I be entitled to a new Sure Signal unit to replace this faulty one?)

I have looked at the repair links on the thread but they all talk about phone repairs and NOT Sure Signal repairs.

Spent 2 hours on my mobile to 191 earlier to find that the technical department is closed so I need to call back again tomorrow 😞

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @adrian109 ,

Your Sure Signal has a two year warranty

As long as it's not been physically damaged we can arrange a repair in store, on Live help or on 191, option 1 and option 3.

Cheers,

Ben

Spoke to technical support who arranged for the Sure Signal to be repaired. I sent it for repair in the prepaid jiffy bag which was received by the repair centre on 08/12/14. I followed the status of the repair using the online tracker it stated that the unit I sent back was repaired on the same day. I thought that was good and expected back by the end of the week however since then the status hasn't changed.

I chased Vodafone using their customer services online chat, last Friday I was told it was going to be sent back to me repaired and working within 2 days. Today I did another online chat as I still haven't received the Sure Signal back to find out for Sure Signals they don't repair they send you a refurbished unit. The reason they haven't sent me one is because they have none in stock.

Online chat agent told me to order a new Sure Signal over the phone and keep the receipt and they would refund me the £100. So I spoke to sales on the phone only to find out you can only order them online!! So I went online to order a new one but you can't add one to the basket!!

I have since been here on the forum to find Vodafone has a major problem with the stock levels of the Sure Signal.

So who knows when I will be able to restore my home signal so I can use the phone I pay £33 a month for?!

Very unhappy with Vodafone at no point were they upfront about the problems with sending out new or refurbished Sure Signals in order to resolve my faulty Sure Signal which blew up.

Bear with it  - mine went into repair on 2nd November and got my replacement last week, so supplies are starting to get through.

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @adrian109 

Please get in touch, so we can get an update.

Hi @nmit 

I'm pleased this has been sorted for you.

Thanks,

Ian

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established
Please take a look at my post (link below) in relation to SureSignal V3 units failing with all lights out and the reasons why..

IF YOUR DEVICE HAS FAILED WITH THE LIGHTS OUT THEN THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE INTERNAL COMPONENTS HAVE BEEN DESTROYED BY HEAT AND CONTINUING TO LEAVE IT CONNECTED CARRIES A SMALL FIRE RISK. VODAFONE SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDING ANY OTHER ACTION THAN TO REMOVE IT FROM THE MAINS IMMEDIATELY.

Please report the failed unit to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct on 0345 4040506 who are investigating why so many of these units are failing catastrophically and that they are potentially a fire hazard when they do fail.

Trading Standards need to know about any failure where all lights are out as it is suspected that components on the power supply PCB has suffered extreme heat or voltages. Whether or not Vodafone replace under warranty or you have been told to go buy another, report it.

If you were near to the unit when it failed you probably would have witnessed a loud bang with a bright flash.

These units fail anytime from new within a week to around two and a half years. Consumer law covers you to claim compensation or a refund as you should have reasonably expected it to have lasted longer.

You can use the UK courts to claim for up to six years from date of purchase so even if yours failed a while ago you can still make a claim.

For over three years Vodafone claim these devices are reliable and safe and have not addressed why so many are failing with heat damaged components inside.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Hot-Burnt-out-amp-Dead...

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)