Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V3 suresignal needs faster internet?

jhopkins
4: Newbie

My V1  Suresignal  died a death so I purchased a V3 . This has failed to  connect to the 'Net and  the  man on the hlepline  tells me this is because  the  new  Suresignals  need  a  much faster Broadband  connection than the old ones. Is this  correct? And, if so, what is the point?...if  I live in an area  of  zero mobile signal, am I really likely  to have  highspeed  broadband  available?!!

22 REPLIES 22

Hello,

the usual  flashing sequence is 1&3 together, then 2 then 1&3  etc. I am using BT and I have already  been told by a Vodaphone  helpline  that the V3 I purchased  will not work with BT so I have gone back to V1. I have  tried  a different power cable and a diffeerent etherenet cable but no success.  The  SSV1 is about a metre  from the router  but i cannot  try it  any further  away because  the  etherent  cable will not reach  more than that. I have rebooted  the router and  the SSV1 ( once  while  actually  receiving  instrucstions  from the man on the helpline).

Also of relevance, the SSV! has worked in this  location for  several years  and  just stopped  working  at the beginning of this year.

Hi @jhopkins,

Please contact your Internet service provider and ensure the following ports are open;

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

Once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Rodney

I have contacted  the technical department of BT ( my ISP) and they have told me that ( of course) they are unable  to open ports on my router  ..I have to do it myself. If I were using a  BT router  they said they might be able to talk me through it ( though I would  have to access my router  as  an administrator....whatever that means) but as I use a Netgear router  I would have  to contact the USA and see if they  could talk me through it. This is  ridiculous...if I wanted to be a  computer  technician, I would have  studied  it at University....I am just a  memeber  of the general  public  who would like  to use  the  mobile  phone that Vodaphone  charge myself ( and my wife ) a lot of money for each month. Is that so unreasonable?

Hi @jhopkins

You’ll need to log into your router settings to open the ports that Rodney’s suggested.

For this, if you’re unsure on how to do this your internet service provider will be able to run through how to do this.

Cheers,

Laura

I have already posted that my ISP (BT) have refused  to help as I am not using a  BT Hub. They suggested that I contact Netgear in the USA who will  talk me through it. I have better  things  to spend my money on than having an open phone line across the  Atlantic. I would also  like to point out that none of this  happened  with my SSV!....perhaps  you could explian  why the SSV3 is an improved  version  when it requires  all this  technical nonsense  coupled  with  higher  broadband speeds that I do not have. Would you  not have saved  us all a  lot of trouble if you had just continued  producing the SS that worked..i.e.. the  V1?

Hi @jhopkins,

Your Sure Signal is currently showing as deregistered. You'll need to re-register it before it will work.

The various posts you've contributed across the eForum are only making this situation worse. It's extremely difficult to know exactly what point you're up to as you've been communicating across more than one thread.

For a better experience and quicker response time, please stick to this thread for help.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt-B  I will try to keep this short. My V1 is deregistered because  I was  told  by the helpline that it was defunct. I purchased a  V3 which failed to connect. I have spent the last week on here, providing  reams of  data, replacing power lead, ethernet cable,rebooting  V3 and router, contacting my ISP,  phoning the helpline etc. The only  concrete  suggestion I have  had is that I should  open the ports on my router...a  process  so complex  that I notice  that  one of your  correspondents  had  to correct  the  'techie' on how to do it !. Meanwhile, I pay each month for a  mobile phone  which I am unable to use. I am just plain angry..that expalins my presence on here. £25 a monthy  for a phone that is only useable if I get in my  car and drive  a  few miles  down the road...a  phone that worked  perfectly  well for seevral years  until my V1 died and the ( allegedly) superior  V3  came out. I think if you were in my  place, you would  feel as  frustrated as I am.

Matt_B   I have replaced  the power supply and the ethernet cable. I have rebooted  the router and  the SS  many times ( both my  V1 and my V3). I am not prepared  to  even contemplate finding out what is involved in 'opening ports'....I regard  that as  way beyond the skills  (  and responsibility) of a  member of the general public

The  system should be that Vodaphone provides  the  service and I pay for it. At the moment, Vodaphone  charges  me for a  mobile service  that I haven't received  since  Jan. 1st and charges  me for Suresignal  hardware. In addition  I have to provide  Briadband  at my  expense. I am then told that I also have  to be  my own  techician. 

Why do I feel that I'm the mug in all this?!

Matt_B   what do you mean by an 'alternative  address'?...I have  not  seen anyone suggest that before.

Matt_B  As a final  comment, I post below  a  typical posting from another thread.....as a  non-computer-literate  person, what am I to make of it?

"

In your Vigor router, make sure the MTU value is set for 1500 (or 0)  And also make sure fragmented packets are allowed.

Do you have your router handling the VSDL line directly, or is there an "Openreach" modem between the router and "the line"?   (Ours has the VDSL modem built in.)

The VSS would normaly have a static LAN IP, but it looks like you may have aranged for it to have a public IP.  Should work if that is reachable from the www, but ???    It's not pingable from here!    (But our VSS is pingable on our LAN.)"