cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS 3 Power - flashing, Internet light orange, other lights off.

RealMcCoy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've had the VSS3 for a week now and not had a lot of luck on the stability front.

The only way I can get it to reconnect is unplugging and replugging back into the power. It'll run for a random length of time then return to the above state, i.e. power flashing, internet orange.

Few points to note.

1) I pay Plusnet for a static IP address and low latency. Its a FTTC connection.

2) Tried the plusnet supplied Netgear WNR1000v3 with and without port forwarding same issue.

3) Currently running a Linksys Cisco E1200 router with DD-WRT firmware, configured with the port forwarding, static ip address lease (set for 7 days)  to the VSS3. VPN passthru is enabled. Slightly more reliable than the netgear router but still fails after an undeterminate length of time.

4) Using a known good ethernet cable.

5) Everything else works fine including my cheap as chips IP camera!

Your requested diagnostics are below :

speedtest

Download 26.20Mbps (using wifi, should be around 40Mb/s or so on a wired connection)

Upload 6.31Mbps

ping 24ms

pingtest

packet loss 0% ping 27ms jitter 2ms

suresignal serial number : 40133467114

external ip : 81.174.134.46

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops: 

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]  

2    24 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lo0-central10.ptw-ag02.plus.net [195.166.128.196 ]  

3    24 ms    24 ms    23 ms  link-b-central10.ptw-gw02.plus.net [212.159.2.15 0]  

4    26 ms    23 ms    24 ms  xe-0-2-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.250]  

5    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]  

6    67 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]  

7    28 ms    24 ms    25 ms  85.205.116.14  

8     *        *        *     Request timed out.  

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10  ^C

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Any suggestions because I'm stumpted ?

Cheers

John.

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your details ready. I've checked and can confirm all is good with your traceroute, speeds and IP address. The Sure Signal is communicating with us regularly too (the last contact being around 02:54 this morning).

If this is still happening would you be able to try another Ethernet cable and then another internet connection? This is just so we can rule out a fault with the cable or unit early on.

Having a bespoke connection like yours can also make it tricky for some of the packets needed to get the Sure Signal setup to reach you. Trying it on a standard internet connection can also get this sorted too. :Winking_smiley:

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

I had to reset it once yesterday but its a been fine since. As I said its pretty random when it goes down.

As far as an alternative connection is concerned, the best I can do is take it to work and try it there but the internet routing is a bit convoluted going through a proxy server and port forwading isn't an option as I don't really have the time to muck around with iptables.

I have a proper LAN cable tester I can use to check cables. I'll try another ethernet cable which I'll test using the tester before hooking up to the suresignal.

John.

Its now stuck in a reboot loop. Starts up, red light is on, flashing internet for a few minutes, internet light goes off along with ethernet lights, rinse and repead ad nauseum...

Reset no longer works. Unplugging and replugging into the power makes no difference.

I'm going to return it my local vodafone shop as I'm heading out that way today. I think 10 days of issues is long enough to assume its faulty and now it wont connect at all.

John.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RealMcCoy,

I’m sorry to see you’re still having problems.

I’ve checked your serial number and this hasn’t connected to our servers since 8 November so I’ve re-synced this for you today.

Please complete this process by performing a factory reset as follows:

-Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.

-Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.

-Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Jenny 

Hi Jenny,

I returned the sure signal to my local vodafone shop as faulty. I expect a repair or replacement on the 27/11/13. If this works. I'll close this ticket.

John.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Be sure to post the outcome for your repair here when you collect your unit from the store. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben