Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS 3 and virgin media hub - flashing power, stable orange in use light

nikm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear Forum,

I'm hoping someone can help. Got a VSS for the first time Wednesday, plugged it into my network switch hoping for the best, but sadly still not working!

I've enable IPSec pass-through on the virgin media superhub + opened the recommended ports, although I don't know how to 'open' the IP adresses that are listed as well. I've also reserved the IP address of the VSS on the router and done loads of reboots etc. Still flashing red light  + stable amber.

I've tried keeping the reset button pressed for 30 secs but this never reboots the VSS until I let go - is that what's suppose to happen or could the VSS be faulty?

I've seen that lots of people have had issues with virgin media and I've tried all the solutions I could find - can anyone help/suggest anything more?

My IP address is 94.170.146.94 a VSS serial no is - 40132605607

Kind regards,

NikM

p.s. - I have registered it.

9 REPLIES 9

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi  

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. Will post the data over the weekend.

Kind regards,

NikM

Hi Matt,

download speed 31.32mbps; upload speed 1.98mbps

ping test - line quality A (MOS 4.39); 0% packet loss; Ping 16ms; Jitter 4ms

my IP address - 94.170.146.94

VSS traceroute command: -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200] (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\dad>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     7 ms     6 ms     7 ms  10.95.112.1   2    42 ms    10 ms     9 ms  haye-core-2b-ae6-727.network.virginmedia.net [80 .3.176.185]   3    33 ms    13 ms    36 ms  brhm-bb-1c-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25 3.174.185]   4    24 ms    37 ms     *     tcl5-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250 .15.210]   5    43 ms    34 ms    55 ms  ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]   6    38 ms    47 ms    47 ms  85.205.116.14   7     *        *        *     Request timed out.   8     *        *        *     Request timed out.   9     *        *        *     Request timed out.  10     *        *        *     Request timed out.  11     *        *        *     Request timed out.  12     *        *        *     Request timed out.  13     *        *        *     Request timed out.  14     *        *        *     Request timed out.  15     *        *        *     Request timed out.  16     *        *        *     Request timed out.  17     *        *        *     Request timed out.  18     *        *        *     Request timed out.  19     *        *        *     Request timed out.  20     *        *        *     Request timed out.  21     *        *        *     Request timed out.  22     *        *        *     Request timed out.  23     *        *        *     Request timed out.  24     *        *        *     Request timed out.  25     *        *        *     Request timed out.  26     *        *        *     Request timed out.  27     *        *        *     Request timed out.  28     *        *        *     Request timed out.  29     *        *        *     Request timed out.  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\dad>^A^A

Hope this is okay?

Many thanks,

NikM

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi nikm,

Everything looks fine with your traceroute and IP address but the Sure Signal hasn’t connected to the server since you registered it.

Can you confirm which light is showing as orange?

If the power light is flashing and the internet light is stable, we’ll need to look at the Sure Signal server side of things for you.

We can do this if you contact the team here.

James

Hi James,

Checked again and it's definitely the 'in use' that's got a stable orange light. Power is flashing red and the other 2 lights are off-  and have never been lit.

The reset button doesn't work as described - could the suresignal unit be faulty?

Kind regards,

NikM

Just had a totally unhelpful call from tech support. Based on the fact that the red light is constantly flashing they think the suresignal is faulty - which is what I suspected from the beginning! Why make me mess about opening ports and pinging servers for the last 4 days!!

To add insult to injury I was told to buy my own replacement Suresignal from a Vodafone shop and send in the receipt for a credit! This level of customer service reminds of why I need to move to another Network.

Have had enough of Vodafone now so requested PAC code. I'm now left with a useless flashing paperweight.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi nikm,

There has been some confusion here because there are a number of different light sequences on the Sure Signal that mean different things and a number of these have a flashing power light.

If you do want us to look at this in more detail and raise it to our support teams for investigation, please follow the link in my last post.

If it is a faulty unit, we can arrange a free repair under the warranty.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the post. Just to clarify, the call I was referring to was as result of me raising it as a fault using the link you provided earlier. The technician had read all of my previous posts and I confirmed again exactly which lights were flashing/stable. He then kept me on hold for about 10 mins while he checked what this meant with someone else, who diagnosed that the unit must be faulty because the red light had never been stable.

I spoke to (someone more helpful in) customer services again today and they have agreed to send out a replacement sure signal directly to me, as well as a returns envelope for the faulty one.

Hopefully I won't have the same experience with the new one!

Kind regards,

NikM

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi nikm, 

Let us know how you get on with the new one.:smileyhappy:

Thanks, 

Kay