Ask

Solution

VSS 3 works for 24 hours then stops

jde20
2: Seeker

Hi,

I wonder if you guys can help.

I have had several months of problems, where no phone can pick up the 3G signal.

I perform a hard reset (hold button for 30s), the VSS takes about 12 hours to come back online.

My iPhone 4S and my friend (same phone) both pick up 3G signal and when using, the third white light comes on.

Everything is great for about 24 hours, the neither phone can get signal.

We've tried rebooting and restarting phones. I have the latest iOS (8.x), mate is still on iOs7 (wiser person)

I was having the same problem with iOS 7 before I 'upgraded' (with regret).

I have reset my router to default settings, the VSS connected directly top my BT homehub v2.0 (firmware 4.7.5.1.83.3.37 (Type B)). It's worked happily for ages with basic settings.

Amending the port forwarding (in other posts) makes no difference, so I went back to the default settings.

I have 'reset' the VSS about ten times. Same pattern. It's now reliably fails about 24 hours later.

I have also de-registered the device for >24 hours, then re-registered (about 2 months ago).

I'm hoping you can help.

To be honest, the only reason I have stayed with vodafone is the sure signal device. Now other operators have similar devices I may change to another network. I don't wish to do this, so I hope you can help me!

BT, Homehub v2

SN of VSS: 40130449461

Download Speed 6.72Mbps
Upload speed 0.37 Mbps

This is what I always get and upload has been stable at 0.37 Mbps for years (and VSS worked happily at this speed).

IP address 5.81.169.91

Ping 33ms
Jitter 1ms

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   175 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  api.home [192.168.1.254]
  2    37 ms    30 ms    29 ms  esr9.faraday3.broadband.bt.net [217.47.166.140]

3    31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  217.47.166.13
  4    31 ms    40 ms    74 ms  213.1.69.2
  5    31 ms    31 ms    30 ms  217.41.168.75
  6    31 ms    30 ms    30 ms  217.41.168.107
  7    30 ms    30 ms    33 ms  acc1-te0-4-0-11.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.2
55.194]
  8   116 ms    75 ms    30 ms  core4-te0-19-0-19.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159
.249.27]
  9    30 ms    31 ms    31 ms  62.6.201.233
 10    33 ms    35 ms    35 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 11    33 ms    32 ms    33 ms  85.205.0.86
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15  ^C

Thanks in advance,

James

9 REPLIES 9

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Could it be overheating if placed near a radiator or in direct sunlight or no ventilation?

Seems strange that it does work, and stops, but then works again after resetting, so the reset time gives it enough time to cooldown again

Thanks for speedy reply.

It's never in sunlight, it's not near any heat sources. I've tried it in different locations within the house.

If I turn it off for hours, then turn it on without resetting it, it all looks fine, the two white lights to left come on ok, but still can't connect.

It has a shredder plugged into it, that sits ideal for 23h50 mins per day.

James

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi James,

Everything looks fine at our end.

Please let us know exactly what light sequence you see both when the Sure Signal is idle and when you try to connect to it.

Thanks,

Jenny

jde20
Hi,

Red powerline on, the adjacent two lights (Internet and in-service) are lit, but phone does not pick up signal. Maybe grolschuk is right. It stopped working today, I turned it off for an hour, turned it back on it's running again. It does get hot.

I have dug out my old vss1, that was having problems about 18 months ago, this is now running (weirdly) - I'm aware my bandwidth is poor so both probably can't run, but when the vss3 went down, the vss1 is fine. Bt homehub seems to have no bother with portforwarding either.

The reason I did this was to see if it was a broadband/ISP issue. I guess not.

Could it just be overheating? If so... Do I have to aim a fan at it?

James

jde20
The Internet and in-service lights are both white, btw.

Cheers,
James

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jde20,

The only other thing to try would be to remove the number from the Sure Signal (this may mean de-registering the device) and re-adding.

If this doesn’t work, then the Sure Signal may be faulty.

To find out what you need to do in order to get this sorted, take a look at our Vodafone Repairs Thread. This can be found here.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne

Thanks for response. I have tried de-registering and waiting 24h, then re-registering device. It's registered to my primary mobile, so i can't remove the number.

It gets very warm, when it stops working, it won't accept any phone connecting, but the lights for Internet and in service remain white. Turning off and leaving for a while and reconnecting works a treat, but if plugged straight back in does not work. It may be over heating. I will try de-registering for 24 hours, then see how it fares.

Weirdly, the vss1, which was playing havoc when I gave up and bought the vss3, is now working perfectly (touch wood).

Thanks again,

James

Retired-Ian_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @jde20 ,

Thanks for that.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks. Have de-registered for 48h, now re-registered and reset vss3. Will give it time to connect, etc. then see if can connect and whether this changes.

Vss1 I dug out and re-registered is working still, so may well be vss3 fault that @grolschuk suggested (thanks)

James