Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS Version 1 NOT working on BT Home Hub 4

Mackers_69
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I am struggling to get my VSS Version 1 working on with either Sky or BT as an ISP. What do I need to do. I have read other forums and they mention "Port Forwarding" etc. I am not a Hugely IT competent, so I am scared of these posts. 

I ran the CMD command, results are attached (the first submission was hard to read..).

Download Speed of 6.91Mbps, Upload of 0.38Mbps.

Ping = 29ms with Jitter of 4ms.

Line Quality B*.

IP Address is:- 86.138.153.122

IPV6 Address :- ::ffff:568a:997a.

VSS Serial # = 21197121888

Can anyone help? What do I do next? Can BT make the changes to the ports for me to avoid me getting into the indepth IT side of things.

Thanks,

Mackers_69.

8 REPLIES 8

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @mackers_69

Welcome to the eForum.

We’ll need to make sure that the port forwarding reads as the following –

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

If you’re unsure on how to do this, get in touch with your internet service provider.

If this is still not working for you, de register and re-register the Sure Signal.

Once you’ve tried this, if the it’s still not connecting, can you let us know the light sequence you can see.

Cheers,

Laura

Hi,

I got all the port forwarding required done.  I reset both my Broadband Router and the VSS (holding the reset button until the I see the sequence of lights etc etc etc).

I left them both to run all night (as BT said it could take up to 4hrs for the update to the new settings).

Only 1 light on now.  It is the POWER light and it is flashing.  What next?

Thanks,

Kenny

Hi @Mackers_69

This can point to the Sure Signal not establishing an internet connection. In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem. Please try a different Ethernet cable if possible.

Reboot the router following this to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Thanks,

Jamian

Hi,

I tried a brand new cable.  It made no different even after a reset.  Also this mroning when I switched the suresignal on all the lights started to flash in the similar fashion to what they did before I went through the "port opening process".

Are there any additional gates/ports to be opened?

Thanks,

Kenny

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mackers_69

Thanks for getting back to us. 

The ports need to be the same as @Retired-Laura has mentioned. 

If you need help checking this then please speak to your ISP. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

cineriv
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi Mackers 69

If you haven't already done so, try replacing your power supply.

This is now a common problem with the V1 Sure Signal.

If you require one, they are readily available from Amazon or Ebay and cost around £10 delivered.

Hi,

I have set the ports up as instructed, changed the power pack to a new one off ebay as suggested.  Still no difference....  Can the VSS box be checked to ensure it is working?  Can Vodafone remotely access it for example, or can I take it to a locate Vodafone Branch?

If not, what next?  I am close to taking my 3 phone lines away from Vodafone, simply because I cannot get a signal where I spend 90% of my time.  I have been with Vodafone from late 1999.

Thanks,

Kenny

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Mackers_69

As the cost to repair a Sure Signal outside of warrant will be higher than the price of a new one, it's not something we offer.

The V1 Sure Signal has also been out of production since the start of 2012. Like your mobile phones, they may need replacing at the end of their lifespan.

Please try testing the Sure Signal on a friend or relatives internet connection for an hour or so. This will help rule out a hardware fault.

Thanks,

Ben