Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS Version 3 Flashing power solid amber internet

linksman
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

It appears from the limited time that I have been able to spend perusing the eForum correspondence on the subject that I am just one of many who have had a less than satisfactory experience of the Version 3 VSS – and that is being generous to Vodafone!

I used a Version 1 VSS for more than 3 years before it packed up with some kind of hardware malfunction. I am now on my third Version 3 in as many months. It will be a rare day that the VSS does not go into the flashing red, solid orange internet mode at least once necessitating a factory re-set on each occasion. The only good thing that has happened with the latest unit is that it has not had a hardware failure since it was activated on 19 October 2013.

In the hope that by reporting my troubles Vodafone may be able to isolate the problem to the extent I can return to ‘normal’ VSS performance, I have followed the guidance contained in the eForum and have recorded the following data;

VSS 3 Checks per eForum, item 2 – “Troubleshooting – please read before posting”

Speed test         

Download: 6.44mps

Upload: 0.38mps

Ping: 57ms

IP Address:

Sure Signal Serial No:

Tracing

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1              1ms        <1ms     <1ms     BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]

2              44ms     43ms     44ms     esr12.edinburgh6.broadband.bt.net [217.47.157.143]

3              44ms     44ms     44ms     217.47.157.30

4              53ms     53ms     52ms     213.1.69.166

5              54ms     52ms     53ms     31.55.165.102

6              53ms     53ms     53ms     31.55.165.35

7              53ms     53ms     53ms     31.55.165.107

8              52ms     52ms     69ms     acc1.10GigE-9-3-0.mr.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.250.102]

9              59ms     59ms     59ms     core1-te0-13-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.250.9]

10           60ms     60ms     59ms     peer1-xe3-3-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.254.207]

11           63ms     62ms     64ms     lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

12           61ms     61ms     61ms     85.205.116.10

13           *             *             *             Request timed out

14           *             *             *             Request timed out

15           *             *             *             Request timed out

16           *             *             *             Request timed out

17           *             *             *             Request timed out

18           *             *             *             Request timed out

19           *             *             *             Request timed out

20           *             *             *             Request timed out

21           *             *             *             Request timed out

22           *             *             *             Request timed out

23           *             *             *             Request timed out

24           *             *             *             Request timed out

25           *             *             *             Request timed out

26           *             *             *             Request timed out

27           *             *             *             Request timed out

28           *             *             *             Request timed out

29           *             *             *             Request timed out

30           *             *             *             Request timed out

Trace complete

Although the above data is a snapshot in time I did, for 12 hours on one day, run an hourly check on broadband speed and Ping and broadly speaking the numbers shown were more or less repeated.

While I can accept that in the event of a failure of the broadband signal there will be a need for the unit to re-set, what I find difficult to accept are the repetitive failures totally disrupting the use of the Vodafone service. Unfortunately where I live, just 17 miles from a major city and in a reasonably sized community (not in a valley or surrounded by geological obstructions) the 2G signal never mind 3G signal without the VSS is little short of pathetic. Were it that one of the other phone companies could provide a better service I would make the change without hesitation – sadly to date that is not the case, but I live in hope!

Finally, may I remind you of Vodafone’s obligation under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act which requires that goods purchased must be fit for purpose? That is patently not the case for me and it would appear for many others. Is it not time for Vodafone to address this situation once and for all?  

7 REPLIES 7

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi linksman

Thanks for providing your Traceroute. Your IP address is on our whitelist. Your upload speed seems a bit low. Do you have other device connected to your route? If so can you try removing these to see if it makes any difference?

To make sure it's up to date on our network I’ve given the SS a re sync from our end, can factory reset to complete the process?

Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.

-Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.

-Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Thanks

Sukhi

Hi Sukhi

Thanks for the prompt response.

As far as the upload speed is concerned I am afraid that the 0.38 mps is typical around here. We might occasionally reach 0.41 mps! We are promised better in the future but when that will be is down to BT.

I have a LAN but shutting down the two PC's makes no difference to the the upload speed. I am afraid that the speed is a function of the BT overhead copper wire connection between the exchange and my house. I have checked with another BT broadband user about 50 metres away and he has the same speeds.

In addition the current broadband speeds are little different from when I installed the Version 1 over three years ago. If anything they are better, so if the Version 1 VSS worked with the slow upload speeds I cannot see why the current version should not work equally well. 

As requested I completed a factory reset earlier today and for the time being all is good with the VSS back on line. Let's hope that after your reset all will be well.  

Regards

Linksman

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Linksman,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see it's up and running again.

As the newer Sure Signal units are able to cope with greater traffic, the requirements for them to perform may be slightly more demanding than previous models. If you ever need a reset in future, you can request one in this thread or via Live help if you need a more immediate reply. 

Hopefully the upgrades BT have promised you aren't too far off for your speeds to improve in the near future. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben

I am sorry to have to report that despite your last message I have yet to have 48 hours where the VSS does not default in one way or another. These incidents are annoying to say the least but have all been resolved by using the re-set facility.

However I now have a default that will not re-set.The parameters that I gave in my message of 23 Novemebr 2013 remain valid but since yesterday afternoon I have had power flashing, internet off, in service solid orange and in use solid orange.

I have repeatedly tried all the usual things such as factory reset and plugging and unplugging all to no avail so I guess the fault most likely lies in your service so hopefully if you can do a system reset this might resolve the issue.  

I am still concerned that the current VSS is not fit for purpose and the correspondence on the eForum is testimony to this. If the iunderlying issue is the sensitivity of the unit to provide greater traffic might I suggest that this feature is dropped in favour of a unit that is reliable. I doubt if most personal users need more than half a dozen users on one VSS. Frankly the current situation does nothing for the reputation of Vodafone and I would have thought it was time for senior management to address the problem!

Regards.

Linksman

Hi linksman,

I've tried a fresh resync, so can I get you to reset the box using slightly different steps? We've seen these make a difference in the past.

• Remove the Ethernet cable from the sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • Plug the cable back in.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Let us know if this helps. If not, is there any sort of pattern to when it cuts off, for example using another device on the broadband connection.

Dave

Morning Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I carried out the reset procedure last night as you suggested and this morning I am pleased to say that we still have a working VSS. Time alone will tell if your procedure has provided the answer! Should that not be the case I shall be back yet again.

There is no pattern to the failures - they can occur when there is some activity on broadband or during the night when there is none. It seems to me that VSS 3 is overly sensitive to broadband variations, my VSS 1 worked perfectly well until there was a component failure. My current upload speed may not be that good but it is the best you can get through BT in this area. Everyone else has the same speed and this is quite adequate for the majority of home users although faster would be nice. Latest indications suggest we are to be "upgraded" at the end of January. I shall believe it when I experience it!

Regards.

Linksman 

Hi Linksman,

That’s great news, thanks for the update.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew