Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS and BT Infinity. Solution.

Jimfew
4: Newbie

As everyone knows, I have been having numerous problems with the VSS on BT Infinity. OK, after a lot of testing, I have finally found a solution which fits my needs.

I am not able to use the issued BT Fibre router as it has restricted capabilities, such as VPN.

I purchased a ASUS RT-AC66U newly released advanced router and have programmed it to replace the BT router. As well as very fast AC wireless, the ASUS has a superb web interface and is very easy to set up. It also has a jumbo framing management option which, I believe, is the root issue with the VSS on BT Infinity. Turning the jumbo framing option to on allows the VSS to work on BT infinity properly and also gives me the many capabilities and features I need as well as superb wireless capabilites (my Linksys Dual Band wireless adapter in one of my portable laptops started working in 40 MHz mode and I now get 270 MHz transfer rates for the first time).

I have tried a lot of routers in the past and the ASUS RT-AC66U is the best I have seen. For anyone on BT Infinity who cannot get the VSS to work, I would recommend trying this router.

Jim.

4 REPLIES 4

cesquire
4: Newbie

Hi Jim

Thanks for your help.

I've had terrible trouble recently with our sure signal after we had our electric off a couple of times for work to be done. After working fine for 3 years, mostly on our Zen Internet FTTC connection, it would not work when it was turned back on!

Got absolutely nowhere with VF phone support and not much better with Zen, although it's not really a Zen problem TBH.

I checked the SS was OK by trying it on my normal ADSL connection at home.

After reading your solution here I got an ASUS RT-N66U which is pretty much identical to your roiuter and gave it a static IP and forwarded the 6 ports. I also enabled the Jumbo Packets.

I also removed my registered phone numbers on the SS portal and re-added them. Lo and behold all is up and running again.

Many, many thanks once again.

To Vodafone 'support' and other SS customers, YES it will work with a Fibre To The Cabinet connection and PPPoE, contrary to what I've been told.

All the best.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I am glad it works and you are right, the SS will work on BT Infinity using PPPoE but you do need to be careful with the router selection. I must admit I prefer the AC ASUS router to the N one purely because of the excellent wireless capability. I get 750Mb though a single USB2 connection on my computer as the Netgear software (for the A6200 adapter) bonds two USB 2 channels together within my computer to get this remarkable speed. ASUS have also just introduced their own AC adapter (the AC53) which I have not yet tried.

Anyway, I am really glad it worked out.

As an aside, my SS has now been working for months and months without issue through my ASUS router.

Jim.

Brilliant Jim.

I didn't go for the AC one as wifi was not so important to us as we use wired connections. And it did save some money.

:smileyhappy:

I am always in favour of saving money!

Anyway, the N router is a superb one and I really like the web interface, a cut above the competition.

Jim.