Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS and Time Capsule no hope

dso3712
4: Newbie

Hi all, well I've trawled the Net and found no way to get VSS to work with Apple Time Capsule. I'm using a Draytek Vigor 120 modem, as some others do with TC. Seems like a PPPoE issue but no solution forthcoming.

Vodafone have been hopeless. They first texted me 5 ports to forward, then told me I needed to forward 12. I forwarded them using TC but nothing, just the usual top flashing light on VSS but nothing else.

Finally, Voda told me my box was faulty (VSS 1) and are sending me a free replacement box version 2 which they said would work. I don't believe the first box is faulty nor that version 2 will work. I'm in a semi-rural area and the Voda signal is hopeless. But I'm stuck in a contract, so there you go. Bit of a bummer, since I love my new Time Capsule and modem.

Don't expect to find a solution on the Net; there isn't one.

Just FYI.

Cheers,

David

35 REPLIES 35

Thanks, Simon. A final, definitive statement from Vodafone would be very useful: can VSS work with an external modem and an Apple Time Capsule, to which the VSS box is connected. My modem is Draytek Vigor 120. Some people on the web have said the Netgear DM111P does work in this config but I'm sceptical. It does seem to be something with PPPoA and E.

Thanks,
David

@Neil_Brown - I've checked your Sure Signal serial number and it's currently inactive as it's not connected to the network since 11/09/11. It's not showing as suspended yet however so if you wish I can force a resync and this should kick it back into life for you.

Yes, please, Simon — that would be great.

Neil

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts here.

Basically as the Sure Signal requires a PPPoA connection the router that you use in conjunction with the Time Capsule should give this option.

Unfortunately as the Time Capsule works using PPPoE you will need to make sure that the VSS is connected to the router directly, unfortunately we can’t say exactly what routers will work with both of the VSS and the Time Capsule and would try to borrow a router where possible before purchasing something that may not work.

@ Neil_Brown, I have re-synced the Sure Signal for you, please let me know how you get on.

James

Unfortunately as the Time Capsule works using PPPoE you will need to make sure that the VSS is connected to the router directly

The challenge here is that the Time Capsule *is* the router here :Smiling:

@ Neil_Brown, I have re-synced the Sure Signal for you, please let me know how you get on.

Thanks, James — I'll plug it in later and give it a try.

Neil

Yes, the TC is the router. If you use another router and TC only as backup drive it's fine, but that's not what I want to do.
Thanks,
David

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while troubleshooting my problem.

SS can work over PPPoE as it had been doing for me for nine months. For some reason it stopped working and I had to change a setting for accept fragmented incoming packets to No.

BTW, its also via a draytek 120 modem, which again was working and is working again now.