Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS ver3 and pppoe

Martin222
2: Seeker
I seem to be stuck with the common problem. in short: VSS ver 3 red light on and first white flashing. We are on fibre optic hence pppoe . Have tried all the usual stuff - resets , resynch, port forwarding and changing mtu . All to no avail. I have a netgear wrn1000 router. My question is (and i am no techie): Is anyone running successfully with pppoe with a normal router in which case I might
change to that router ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update - for anyone else with similar problems!

I tried numerous further minor adjustments to the router settings, without any success at all. I contacted Vodaphone one last time, who suggested returning the VSS unit and getting another one. I was pretty sceptical about this, but did so anyway. After some initial problems, and a re-sync, much to my surprise the replacement VSS has started to work pretty well. In the last 10 days it has been on 95% of the time and mostly when it goes off it manages to recover by itself. However, there are times when only a reset will do the trick.

To summarise things I did (although I am not totally sure which one helped):

I replaced the VSS unit (was the last thing I did)

As advised by Vodaphone I set up Port Forwarding, and a Static IP address.

I messed about with the MTU size, but eventually just went back to the default setting of 1492

I put the VSS IP Address into the DMZ, which I understand takes the VSS out of the firewall (thanks grolschuk)

I didn't need to replace the router.

Fingers crossed.

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Martin222,

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

James

Martin222
Thanks James but I have been through this stuff on the phone already to Vod tech support and my ISP. The best we can do is get it working for a few hours. Are you aware of a router that works reliably with VSS 3 and pppoe ?

Hi Martin222

Thanks for your reply.

We’re unable to suggest or endorse a particular router. Who’s your Broadband provider?

Thanks

Simon

Martin222
Hi Simon ISP is Plusnet

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Martin222

We can't suggest what router you buy however if you do a quick Google search it'll bring up a list of compatible ones :).

Thanks

Sukhi

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

We have just had a PlusNet FttC connection installed and are using a Draytek 2850Vn to replace both the BT Modem and the PlusNet supplied router (it wasn't a netgear like you have).

A little research was needed to get the modem connection working (there is a VLAN number that needs to be entered on the connection setting) but other than that it is all up and running and both a SSv1 and a SSv3 have connected and tested.

They are 'small business' grade grade devices rather than home, so are not the cheapest to buy.

Hope that helps a little though.

Hi Grolschuk

Many thanks for the reply.( I saw by following your name that I am not the only one who has benefited from your useful advice). I will consider the Draytek, although as you say it's not cheap!

At the moment I am embarking on a testing session around my village, to see what router will work with the VSS 3 (obviously the whole village is on FTTC).

grolschuk

I would try on the various routers (including your own Netgear)

Reserve the IP address for the SureSignal

Add that IP to the DMZ

Enable IPSEC (and maybe the others) VPN Passthrough option if available.

Reboot router.

Reset Suresignal

Thanks Sukhi.

I confess I am not sure what to Google. The point is that I am not seeking just a router that works with PPPoE (I already have one). I need a router with which the VSS 3 seems to work reliably and consistently under PPPoE. That doesn't Google successfully.