Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS working with Netgear DGND3700v2

AndyT557
4: Newbie

Hi all,

After a few seemingly fruitless exchanges with the Vodafone Tech Guys, who couldn't get the VSS to work despite my home Broadband and PC passing the ping test, traceroute test, speedtest, etc etc, I finally got my VSS box to work with the Netgear DGND3700v2, so for all that have this model router, or something similar, this may help.

I may add that I had already seen the other posts with regards to the VSS and the DGND3700 but having followed some of the advice I still couldn't get the VSS to work, so you may fing this post a little more thorough.

Advanced Tab > Advanced Set Up > Port Forwarding / Port Triggering

Ensure Service Type is set to Port Forwarding
Select 'Add Custom Service'
In Name box enter: SureSignal TCP/UDP 50
Set Type To: TCP/UDP
Set Start Port To: 50
Set End Port To: 50
Click 'Apply'

Then repeat the above step for the Port Numbers 123, 500 & 4500.
You should now have 4 entries in the Service Table

Now Configure Outbound Services

Select 'Add'
Where you see Service, find the TCP/UDP entry that you added in previous step, i.e./ 50 (It will appear as SureSignal TCP/UDP 50(TCP/UDP:50)
Set Action to: Allow Always
Set LAN Users to: Single Address
Now you need to enter the IP address of your SureSignal next to 'Start', i.e./ 192.168.0.3 (You'll notice the 192.168.0. are already entered in the boxes)
Nothing to be entered for 'End'
Leave WAN Servers alone.
Set Log to: Never
Click 'Apply'

Then repeat this step for the other 3 port numbers, 123, 500 & 4500.
However, you may find port 500 in the drop down list as VPN-IPSEC(UDP 500), I chose this one during my set up.

You should now have 4 entries under Outbound Services

Now click the link under Inbound Services
Ensure Service Type is set to Port Forwarding

Select 'Add'
Where you see Service, find the TCP/UDP entry that you added in previous step, i.e./ 50 (It will appear as SureSignal TCP/UDP 50(TCP/UDP:50)
Set Action to: Allow Always
Now you need to enter the IP address of your SureSignal next to 'Send to LAN Server', i.e./ 192.168.0.3 (You'll notice the 192.168.0. are already entered in the boxes)
Leave WAN Servers alone.
Set Log to: Never
Click 'Apply'

Then repeat this step for the other 3 port numbers, 123, 500 & 4500.
Again you may find port 500 in the drop down list as VPN-IPSEC(UDP 500), I chose this one during my set up.

Now reboot the router and perform a full reset on your VSS box. Then wait and see, hopefully it will work for you.

Good luck, regards,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your post here.

Firstly I’m pleased to see that you are up and running and I definitely think that this will be helpful for some of our customers who have the same router.

Unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult for us to give specific router setups as there are so many variations about but at least this will cover some of them.

Thanks again

James

I tried all of this with the Netgear router but failed to get the Suresignal to work.  The lack of any diagnostics is truly apalling and means that the cause of the connection issues can not be determined.  As said elsewhere this is just not good enough for a home consumer product and Vodafone needs to do more in this area.

That being said I swapped out the Netgear for a BT Home Hub where I configured the firewall for IPSEC and the SS seems to be working!

There appaers to be a particular issue with the Netgear router?

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dorowe

Thanks for your post.

It's good to know its working with the BT Home Hub

I'd recommend you speak with Netgear as we're unable to provide support for this.

Sukhi

Hi

You can be sure that I will be speaking with Netgear.  If relevant I will update this post.

Regards

Derrick

Hi there,

I've been struggling with this for days on end now and have found a much simpler fix that worked for me:

Get another router (I used an old Netgear DG834G) and connect that to your broadband instead of the DGN37002v2 and do your standard Sure Signal set-up (i.e. hold the reset button for x seconds), then let it go. 

When the VSS finishes setting up (normally an hour or two) you can unplug it from the old router and swap in your DGN37002v2 again, hook your broadband backup and you're away.

Worked for me anyway...

My explanation: I tried all of the port forwarding hoopla and found that the DGN37002v2 wouldn't let me create the 4500 (IPSEC-VPN?) port as a service - claiming that it was in use...this made me suspicious that the router was incorrectly either holding this port open or thinking it had this port open for some reason (I use VPN for work and personal) and that stopped uPNP from grabbing the port for the NAT traversal business. 

I almost (almost) downgraded the firmware...but just thought I'd try a crappy old router first.

Morale of the story: Never throw anything away 🐵