Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS2 not connecting

fatboi
2: Seeker

I have 2 VSS2 devices in my house, and both have been rock solid for over 2 years. One is connected to the router, the other one is at the other end of the house via homeplugs.  Over the last week, the one connected to the router is not connecting - it has the red power light on, and the system light next to it flashing. Have tried rebooting the device (press reset button until lights go out, power off, power on etc) several times and leaving for at least 24 hours, but the system light remains flashing.

It would appear not to be a network/internet problem as the remote unit is still working fine. Serial number of the affected unit is 40120540352.  Can you check at your end if there is a problem. Re-synch perhaps?

14 REPLIES 14

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

OK, I think this one can be closed for now. I am getting terrible ping results (anything from ping 150ms / jitter 60ms) to ping 500ms / jitter 270ms) !!

My broadband is via radio link: receiver/modem on my chimney, pointing to a transceiver about a mile away. A tree in my garden seems to have grown enough to block the clear line of sight, so depending on the wind, I am getting a wobbly connection. Will need to get the tree trimmed.

I have another issue that I'll raise in a separate thread.

When I originally registered my two VSS2 units over 2 years ago, I entered my postcode, but it gave an address about 70 miles from where I live. Tried changing to another postcode then back again, but it still came back with the  incorrect address. After several calls to the call centre I lost the will to live, so just left it.

I don't want to put my postcode on a public forum, but the VSS serial numbers are 40121028969 and 40120540352.

tonytango
13: Advanced Member

i have the same problem when i enter my postcode every app on all three phones in our house say that we live over 120 miles away.The way around the problem is to register it with a postcode about 4 miles away from from your address.i know it's not right but it work's for me. 

blackberry storm 2
nokia n97 mini x6
sony Ericsson satio
htc touch 2
htc hd2
samsung galaxy s x3
nokia e65
htc desire hd x2

so far this year

Hi fatboi,

This shouldn't be happening. The Sure Signal uses your postcode so in emergency situations, the relevant services can locate where the call is coming from.

However, there is still an issue here that we'll need to look into.

Please send some examples of this to our team and we'll have a look into it for you.

Email us following the instructions here and we'll be in touch.

Thanks,

Matt B

fatboi

OK, message sent regarding the postcode problem.

I have now got my VSS connected!  I took it to another location with a stable internet connection, plugged it in, and it connected within minutes. Left it running for a couple of hours then unplugged and took it home. Plugged it in and it connected after a couple of minutes, and is still up and running 18 hours later.

fatboi

Bumping this thread - Re: postcode problem 

I received a phonecall last Tuesday from one of your team to go through security questions, and was told I would receive an email with instructions to fix the postcode/address problem. Still haven't received the email. 

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi fatboi,

I can we emailed on 22 July. If you need any further support with your account, please reply to that email keeping the subject title the same.

Thanks, 

Ben

fatboi

Erm... I didn't receive any email, so I can't reply to it!

Will try again via the Private Message system.