Ask

Solution

VSS3 was working but now disnonnected from Vodafone

Joe33
2: Seeker

My VSS3 is about 3 weeks old and had been working up until last night

Nothing on my broadband has changed

The VSS3 cycles between flashing power light with steady orange "world" light and steady power light with flashing white "world" light

I have power cycled and hard reset the VSS but it still will not connect this morning

Speed test results:

Download speed 42.00 Mbps

Upload Speed 13.76 Mbps

Ping test results

Packet loss 0%

Ping 17 ms

Jitter 1 ms

Current External IP (dynamic) 86.146.181.147

Tracert results

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.178]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     3 ms    12 ms  192.168.0.254

2     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.144.164

3     8 ms     8 ms    18 ms  217.32.144.190

4    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  213.120.181.50

5    20 ms    40 ms    19 ms  217.41.169.251

6    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  217.41.169.109

7    18 ms     9 ms    28 ms  109.159.251.245

8    16 ms    23 ms    16 ms  core1-te-0-4-0-16.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.251.51]

9    14 ms    18 ms    19 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-5-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.254.108]

10    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

11    20 ms    20 ms    24 ms  85.205.116.10

12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

VSS3 Serial number 40124249026

I have 2 iPhones and a 3G dongle registered to the VSS3. None of these now work

Any help appreciated

11 REPLIES 11

Joe33

OK, it's up again now

I didn't do anything, it just happened

It does not seem particularly reliable. Does it?

Retired-PaulE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Joe33, 

It's great that you're back up and running - the traceroute shows that you're hitting our servers and I've just checked your serial number and everything looks fine.

With regards to the reliability of the device, I've had mine for over 2 years now and it's still going strong, the light sequence you gave indicate that the unit was establihing a connection again - this could have been caused by a variety of factors.

Give us a shout if you see any changes again, but I think you'll be fine now 

Paul 

My VSS has been connecting when it feels like it since the beginning of the year.  Its performance is equalled by that of the 191 staff.  One told me to call again when it was resetting and the VSS team would investigate; but they knew nothing about it.  Another charming Indian lady asked me to take it to a Vodafone store where "the people will mend it"!  I spoke to four Vodafone staff this morning, three of them in Newbury.  Two promised to call me back - neither did so.

I really can't think why I came to Vodafone in the first place.  Here, in the deep south, all of 45 miles from London, 3G signal is non-existent.  2G is described as OK outdoors but unreliable inside buildings.  It hes been confirmed that there are no plans to improve coverage here.

Hi johnnice,

There is a difference between "no plans to improve coverage" and no updates currently showing. We're upgrading the network the whole time and the more customer feedback for an area of low coverage we get, the more the network planners can see the customer demand in an area.

Can you confirm exactly what is happening with the Sure Signal for me? Does the light sequence change when you lose connection?

Similarly, is there any pattern to when this happens? Does it happen whilst you are using it, only when idle, when you use a particular service or a particular device is using the broadband connection which isn't when it works, for example?

The main thing to help us check the situation when the Sure Signal goes down is the state of the line at that point. Next time its down, can you try a traceroute and speed test for me so we can see if the line is congested or blocked in any way?

You can get your speed test results from here and ping test results from here.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

Can you also confirm your Sure Signal serial number for me?

Thanks

Dave

I don't spend my day sitting in front of the VSS so I can't be sure of happens to the indicators.  What I find is the red permanently alight and the system indicator flashing slowly.  When I called 191 on 27 December I was told to call again when I noticed it happen.  On the evening of the 9th I did so.  The promised escalation had not occurred.  The person I spoke to performed a reset (or so she said)  and the VSS stayed in that state for 13 hours.  It appears to me that the aim of the 191 staff is to deal with people who've lost their PIN and fob everybody else off.  I have now been told that my VSS will be exchanged on Monday.

In answer to your requests:  speed down 2.92 MBit/s, speed up 730 kBit/s.  PING 32 mS, jitter 2 mS.  I haven't worked out how to copy/paste the tracert, but it reaches you consistently in six hops.

John

Hi johnnice, 

Can you give us the serial number of your current Sure SIgnal so we can take a look at it on the network and see what's happening?

Paul

Bazzamataz
4: Newbie

Just get on the three network it's a better I've used Vodafone but 3 is far superior

I can't access 3's coverage maps, but of all the networks in this part of east Hampshire Vodafone is worst.  Even 2G is shown as 'outdoors only' though it will sometimes work indoors if I'm near enough a window.  We countrydwellers are ignored by Vodafone.

Hi johnnice

As per PaulE's previous post could you provide your Sue Signal serial number and we'll be able to assist further?

Thanks

Simon