cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Solid Orange
  • In Service: Off
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and the cause is a network timing issue (NTP). These symptoms can be prone to recurrence.

Troubleshooting

Check that your Sure Signal has been registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you must have first registered it with us. You will have received a message via text or email to let you know when the registration has completed successfully. Your Sure Signal will not work until you have recieved this confirmation message.

To verify that your Sure Signal has been registered, login to My Account, and click on the My Sure Signal tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status "Registered".

If you have not registered your Sure Signal, and are a Business Customer, please register at our Business Sure Signal page.

If you're a Consumer Customer, you can register directly from within the My Sure Signal page in My Account.

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Check your MTU settings:

1. Log into your admin page for your router
  2. Find the location of the MTU field - this varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it
  3. Change the value of the MTU size to 1500 if this is allowed by your router

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot:

1. Hold in the reset button until all the lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

Post your Router details.
If you have successfully followed all of the above, or are struggling with configuring your Router, please post your Router's make and full model number below. It would also be helpful to include your Sure Signal Serial number and ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Quite often other users of the same router will be able to share tips with you around setup and any extra security settings that may need to be enabled/disabled to get things working correctly. Wherever possible, we will also attempt to assist you with this, however due to the vast number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible, and we do not officially support any form of Router Configuration. For that reason we will always recommend contacting your Router Manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Please provide your ISP with some information supporting the network performance issue such as a number of speedtests performed throughout the day and a trace route.

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear.
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

Thanks

LeeH

208 REPLIES 208

Hi pants_girl,

Thanks for this.

Can you let us have the Sure Signal serial number please? 

Also can you let us have the full light sequence as described here?

Thanks

Ian

Serial no is 40134609029

Sequence of lights as per this subject: flashing red, internet solid orange, in service off and in use solid orange

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Some plusnet accounts have a firewall on the network enabled.

Go to Connection Settings on the left, then Broadband Firewall.

Turn it to off, apply the changes, reset the suresignal, see what happens.

If no change, turn the firewall back to what it was and at least that has been ruled out :Smiling:

Just checked plusnet account and firewall is already set to off so I'm guessing it's not that causing the problem

grolschuk

Nope, but worth looking as it can cause problems.

Next thing I'd go for is a look around the netgear settings to see if there is anything there.

Do you know what the model is?

Dg834g (I think). Can confirm for sure when I get home this evening

Ok. Home now to find it has solid red, internet - solid white, in service - solid white, in use - off

Phones aren't picking up any signal and I can't find anything on the forum to say why it isn't working.

Am I supposed to do something else? Phones are definitely registered and have a 3G capability

grolschuk

That light combo looks like it should be working.

The in use only lights up once a call is being made through it.

Are all your phones registered in your suresignal user account?

Does adding and removing one make any difference?

They are not in 2g only mode or anything silly like that?

Hi pants_girl,

I've checked and your Sure Signal connected to our servers shortly after your last post. Are you able to get a connection now?

If not, reset the Sure Signal box to refresh things:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Also, try the following checks for me:

• Check the Ethernet lights on the Sure signal. Are they lit, flashing or off?
  • Plug the Sure Signal into a different router port.
  • Try a different Ethernet cable.

Dave

I have the same issue now, Red flashing, Orange, Off, Orange.  Have unplugged, reset, chatted to customer service twice, all still the same.  It's registered as I've had a text confirming it should be working but I get either Solid Red, with 1st white flashing, off, off,  or this.

Any suggestions?