cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Solid Orange
  • In Service: Off
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and the cause is a network timing issue (NTP). These symptoms can be prone to recurrence.

Troubleshooting

Check that your Sure Signal has been registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you must have first registered it with us. You will have received a message via text or email to let you know when the registration has completed successfully. Your Sure Signal will not work until you have recieved this confirmation message.

To verify that your Sure Signal has been registered, login to My Account, and click on the My Sure Signal tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status "Registered".

If you have not registered your Sure Signal, and are a Business Customer, please register at our Business Sure Signal page.

If you're a Consumer Customer, you can register directly from within the My Sure Signal page in My Account.

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Check your MTU settings:

1. Log into your admin page for your router
  2. Find the location of the MTU field - this varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it
  3. Change the value of the MTU size to 1500 if this is allowed by your router

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot:

1. Hold in the reset button until all the lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

Post your Router details.
If you have successfully followed all of the above, or are struggling with configuring your Router, please post your Router's make and full model number below. It would also be helpful to include your Sure Signal Serial number and ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Quite often other users of the same router will be able to share tips with you around setup and any extra security settings that may need to be enabled/disabled to get things working correctly. Wherever possible, we will also attempt to assist you with this, however due to the vast number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible, and we do not officially support any form of Router Configuration. For that reason we will always recommend contacting your Router Manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Please provide your ISP with some information supporting the network performance issue such as a number of speedtests performed throughout the day and a trace route.

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear.
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

Thanks

LeeH

208 REPLIES 208

A bit more info is that they were working fine up untill we had powercuts. 

Also noticed ther one i am next to, keeps on rebooting itself?

Hi hampsteadss,

Those lights indicate either poor network performance timing out or that the Sure Signals are not active.

The "rebooting" could be the Sure Signal attempting to reconnect. They're designed to do this periodically.

With you mentioning the power cuts, there may be trapped data preventing the connection with the router. Follow these steps to flush it.

- Switch off all the Sure Signals

- Switch off the managed switch

- Switch off the router

- Wait for a couple of minutes.

- Switch on the router and allow it to fully reboot

- Once done, switch on the managed switch. Allow this to fully reboot

- Switch on one Sure Signal only

- Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

If this one reconnects, restart the others individually, allowing each to reconnect in turn before restarting the next.

If not, follow the Sure Signal reset steps in my previous post.

Should this still fail, do you have anything else working normally through the managed switch? If so, try connecting the Sure Signal to the socket and cable used by that device.

Also, try connecting one of the Sure Signals directly to the router.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

I Have tried everything asked in previous post.

Can see nat table in router where the SS is connecting on the relevant ports.

Still nothing........

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hampsteadss,

As it wasn't quite an hour between Dave's post and your last reply, can you confirm this is still the case?

Also, was there any change when you connected the Sure Signal to the router directly? This can take up to an hour for the files to come down, install and setup fully too.

Cheers, Ben

The reason i responded so soon was that it went throught all of the errors i mentioned above.

I took one of them home last night and it seemed to work fine through my broadband at home which is virgin.

The ones that were left on site also did not work upon my return.

I have spoken to the isp and they dont block any ports. I have now also factory reset the router and put a basic load on it and enabled UPNP. I have had it plugged directly into the router.

Please help....

Can you please let me know wether you can see the SS trying to connect?

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hampsteadss

It looks as though since the power cut something has changed within your set up on the switch. The last time they connected was around 6pm last night.

Ideally we would recommend only one Sure Signal per router.

I would also think that all the devices would work on your home connection, which means the devices aren't the cause.

I have seen that a couple of them are running older software, so I've sent the update through, please do not turn these off or reset them for 24 hours and then hard reset your phones.

You may receive a couple of SMS saying that a location change has happened, please ignore this.

Hi derekc75

It’s still doesn’t appear to be connecting properly.

Is it possible to try this on another connection, a friend or family members?

I would also see if changing the Ethernet cable resolves this.

Please can you let me know who your ISP is and what router your using?

I would also recommend a reset of your router, once this has been done, reset the Sure Signal.

I can see it’s trying to connect but failing and is not speaking with us when we Ping it.

DaveCD

The issue is I cannot reset the sure signal as per my previous post. When I hold down the reset button nothing happens, it simply keeps the same light sequence, then when I give up and release the reset button it just reboots again.

I have reset the router, changed cables, defaulted the config on the router all to no avail.

The router is a TP Link TD-W8961ND

I am fairly sure this is a hardware issue now as it hasn;t worked for 4 days and nothing suggested is helping. The fact it will not respond to the reset seems to suggest there is a fault with the unit.

Can you please advise?

Hi derekc75,

I'd agree, that does look quite suspect.

If you can, try the Sure Signal on a different internet connect, such as a friend's or neighbour's.

If it doesn't work there either, I'd suggest arranging a repair.

Dave

I am still not having any success in resolving this. To make matters worse, my unit will not no longer reset.

Nothing happens whilst I hold the reset button, until after I let go - then it switches off and reboots exactly the same.

I can hold the reset button for up to 5 monutes and it just continues to show the same lights, until I let go, then the unit simply reboots and eventually comes back with the same light sequence.

Please help me, I have had no mobile coverage for 3 days now