cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 (Power-flashing, Internet-solid orange, In Service-solid orange, In Use-solid orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Solid Orange
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active because the router is not configured for PPPoE (Point to Point over Ethernet).

Troubleshooting

Please check the usernames and passwords for your router. If these are correct and the symptoms continue, please contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for further assistance.

Thanks

LeeH

10 REPLIES 10

tonykingshill
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Does this mean that V3 uses PPoE but V1 and V2 use PPoA.  I am having major trouble getting my V2 VSS to work - red light only and ISP only provides PPoE connection as it is a fibre neywork

Have tried all the port forwarding and static IP process but still no joy.

Serial no is 40111604209 and if version 2 using PPoA is the problem then will need to replace with a V3

Hi tonykingshill,

All of the Sure Signals are designed to use PPPoE but we have seen examples where they have been set up and working on PPPoA.

Can I ask who your internet provider is?

If you are using Virgin media, please can you log into your router admin panel and try to lower the firewall security settings and then restart your router.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

James

My ISP is Call Flow Solutions (CFS), who have put in their own hardware to improve ADSL as BT were not interested and their exchange is too far away for decent phone-line signal.

Your comment re PPPoE is at odds with the info I received in a text from 2nd line technical support who said to change to PPPoA as VSS does not like PPPoE.   This is also what CFS has been told and they have many subscribers here who are having problems with their VSS.

My VSS is already in the DMZ and has been since yesterday.  Still only a red light on!!!

Hi tonykingshill,

Are you able to try your Sure Signal on a different internet connection (a friend, neighbour etc) preferably using a different ISP? If it works there, then it indicates that the Sure Signal is fine and that there may be an issue with your current set up that’s preventing your device from connecting to our servers.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

The VSS was working perfectly satisfactorily for 18 months and has only been a problem for the last week to 10 days.

There has been no change of router or ISP recently so it is more likely that the problem is at the Vodafone end.  My ISP knows that they have several subscribers who are having problems with their VSS, and they have no suggestions other than making the VSS a static IP address and doing the port forwarding - neither of which has been necessary previously.

When first setup the VSS worked 'out-of-the-box' and did so for 18 months, so what has changed at the Vodafone end recently?

Hi tonykingshill, 

I understand your point but trying it at a different location will determine if it's a Sure Signal or ISP issue. 

If you can try this and let us know the outcome that will be great. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Having seen that you ask virtually everyone for this info here it is for me:-
Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     4 ms    13 ms  router [192.168.2.1]
  2     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  9.9.9.9
  3    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  37.152.45.225
  4    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  xe1-5.core02.thd.uk.as8586.net [212.58.37.119]
  5    13 ms    22 ms    12 ms  xe2-2.core04.thd.uk.as8586.net [212.58.37.124]
  6    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  7    21 ms    13 ms    12 ms  85.205.116.14
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Speed - Ping 18ms to 185.16.160.69 (CFS my ISP)

Down - 12.98 and 13.58

Up - 0.70 amd 0.65

Ping - Packet 0% Ping 25ms Jitter 2ms

To my eye these all seem very good and there is no issue that should prevent the VSS from connecting

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi MajorWeebl,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I’ve tried re syncing this today so please complete this process by performing a factory reset as follows:

-Hold in the reset button until all the light go solid

-Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in

-Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead

-Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

If this continues, please can you let us know your external IP address from here.

Thanks,

Jenny

Decided to try upgrading my router to Asus RT-AC66U as other users have found this works with VSS.  My V2 still no joy.  As it had been OK for 18 months decided VSS could be the problem and bought a V3.  Plugged in, registered and left overnight.  Now have a working VSS.

So if a VSS stops working after being OK the problem may well be a non-functioning VSS, which seems to be something that isn't considered as a possibility!!!

All this doesn't come cheap and I hope the V3 lasts longer than 18 months.  I realise electronic goods can 'blow' but if my V3 doesn't last I will have concerns that goods of unsatisfactory quality are being sold and despite the supposed limitation of the warranty would expect Vodafone to replace free of charge up to 3 years as I think this is a reasonable expectation for the life of electronic goods nowadays.  The Sale of Goods Act is relevant here and Vodafone cannot absolve themselves of their responsibility to sell goods which are 'fit for purpose'.

A warning to others who may consider doing something similar - the Asus RT-AC66 is a router only and you need a separate modem.  The TP-Link 8817 is on Amazon at less than £20 and it is just a case of linking the modem to the ADSL, the router to the modem and configuring the router so that it can access the internet.  I changed the router address to 192.168.2.1 so that it is different to the modem (192.168.1.1) and I now have much faster wired (using Homeplug) and wireless internet.