cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 Sure Signal (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - off)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread's been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Solid Orange
  • In Service: Off
  • In Use: Off

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

558 REPLIES 558

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there Hardyman,

Thanks for posting.

Have you tried the suggestions at the top of this thread?

If so, try the VSS on another connection such as a friend or relative's house and let me know if there's any change in the lights.

Thanks,

LeeH

roddim01
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So after power up, my SureSignal starts to work and may function for a number of hours but eventually (usually by the next morning), the device is sitting there with the red light flashing and the internet light orange. A restart sees the device start up again for a period of time before needing another restart.

This makes the device unusable 

Speed test results = 6.6 Mbps up and 1.0 Mbps down

Ping test = 22ms with 0% packet loss and 0ms jitter

External IP = 93.97.238.5

Serial Number = 40131153096

Tracert Results =

C:\Users\Mark>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms 10.1.3.50
4 * 22 ms 22 ms 10.1.4.241
5 23 ms 24 ms 23 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
6 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms 85.205.116.2
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.

Hi roddim01,

Thanks for your post here.

It is strange to see this because unless there are any updates being done by your Internet provider, it should work without any problems.

Can you confirm if your Sure Signal and Router are always left switched on?

Also, who is your internet provider?

James

Yes the SS and router are left on overnight.

So yesterday I had to power cycle the device to get it working again which prompted me to post this. For all of yesterday afternoon and yesterday evening it was working fine.

Right now (9am on Saturday morning) I have gone to have a look and this is what I see

IMG_0567.JPG

Red light flashing and the internet light orange

My internet provided is Be and according to the router the connection has now been up for 18 days without interuption. I have checked my ISPs status page and there are no planned or unplanned outages

I have tried the device in various locations around my house (my house is CAT5 cabled) as well as directly into the back of the router and the same thing happens

All other services (such as online backups) which are running overnight work just fine. 

My work VPN (which last night I left connected and which drops at the slightest connectivity blip) is still up this morning which tells me the internet connection is 100% solid.

Any suggestions

Hi roddim01, 

This is a bit of a puzzler as everything looks ok.

I've pushed a resynch through to your unit though, can you reset it at your end and let me know how you get on?

Paul 

I would reset it if I could!!!

So reading here I am supposed to press the reset button (on the bottom of the unit) and hold that until all lights go solid, then unplug and replug the unit whilst still holding in the reset button until all lights flash again?

Because if I press and hold the reset button, even after 2 minutes, NOTHING HAPPENS

But still holding the button I unplug then plug back in again and keep the button pressed for 2 minutes and still NOTHING HAPPENS

The reset button appears to do nothing at all so unless I am doing this wrong, my guess is a faulty unit which considering my nearest Vodafone store is an hours drive away, is a pain.

Please can you confirm the reset proceedure for a V3 device please?

So last night after another power cycle (there appears no way to do a proper reset) the device was working right up until when I went to bed.

This morning it is sitting there with a flashing red light and a solid orange light as before.

So the device is now in the boot of my car until such a time that I am passing a Vodafone store where I will ask for the unit to be exchanged as faulty.

If we can't resolve this and make a sure signal work then I am left with the prospect of returning the iPhone 5 I purchased 2 weeks ago for my wife and asking for an alternative carrier for my own company phone 

Hi roddim01, 

The reset procedure for a V3 Sure Signal is below:

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

We can help with the repair/exchange of this for you - click here to get in touch with the team and we'll get this sorted out

Paul 

Good news.

Managed to find a store with stock (easier said than done) and got the unit swapped out.

The new unit has now been up and running for over a week and is working fine. Occasionally it loses connection (I have noticed it do this twice in the last week) but it always pickes itself up and reconnects and carries on working.

I have not had to physically touch the unit since I plugged it in.

Thanks for you assistance

Hi

I've been having the same problem with the SS V3 which I purchased about 7 weeks ago. 

The serial number is: 40132115748

I have been in contact with the support forum over the past week and they have resynced it and I have doen all the speed tests and trace route stuff.

I am unable to try the device on another boadband connection.

As I believe this is faulty equipment I would like to obtain a replacement. Please advise how this can be achieved.