cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Thanks @arukDave

I have spoken to my ISP some more and for some reason the IP that got dynamically aloocated (146.200...) is showing on some resources as being in Sheffield and on other sites (RIPE, speedtest.net) as Califonia. After a big disussion about static IPs, in the end we just rebooted the router a few times until we got an IP beginning 84.51... which is in Kent, apparently.

So MAYBE that will fix the problem.

Thanks to comments by @arukDave and @Matt_B and the excellent support from my ISP (Madasafish / PlusNet) I think I have my SureSignal issue resolved.

Basically the ISP assigns a dynamic IP address and Vodafone thinks some of these (notably beginning "146.") are foreign and thus disallowed - it took Vodafone over 10 days during which I had NOT service, to suggest this might be the problem. If I reboot the router until I get an IP beginning "80." or "84." then SureSignal is happy.

I'm glad to have got this sorted out, after several hopeless phone calls and aborted chat sessions with Vodafone, several exchanges on this Forum (where the support people make a suggestion every 48 hours or so), one unanswered email to Jeroen Hoencamp, and three promptly-answered, friendly and extremely helpful phone conversations with Madasafish / PlusNet.

If Vodafone had a problem management system, like a normal company, they would be able to close this ticket.

Hi MarkOne:

Thanks for the mention, and glad to have helped in some way...   I was only re-itterating what others have found and said in the past.

Dynamic IP's are greatfor ISP's, as they can shuffle them arround their userbase as they see fit, to spread the load or whatever.  But for some end users, who want to use equipment and services such as the Sure Signal, or run small servers for their own use (VPN endpoints etc.) they can be a pain.

There was some meniton a few weeks back, that PlusNet seemed able to assign a user an IP from a block of their (PlusNet's) choosing, for a customers router, rather from the entire pool available to them.  Guess that's changed then?

Much of these issues may posibly disapear if ever IPV6 gets off the ground in the UK, but no one is holding their breath waiting for that to happen here in the UK.

Anyway, glad yours is off the ground and flying again.   When they do work, they work very well.

Best Regards.

Dave Baxter.

(Not Vodafone.)

Looking at all the recent posts,  it seems many people (including me) are now having this problem with Sure signal v3 boxes that have worked for months or years.

I have a fixed IP address which starts 212 and have had it successfully working with my sure signal box for months.

Clearly this is a serious Vodafone issue and needs fixing quickly. There is no problem with my internet connection and I am now no longer able to make or receive calls at home.

My BT Homehub 5 will not allow me to enter those IP addresses.

I get a message that says 'The host does not belong to any recognised LAN'

HI, here'ss all my deatils, everything was working fine until i took the power cable out of my home hub 5 router to tidy some cable up and and now nothing. tried resets, waited a day before posting this. Please advise vodafine guys!

Download speed - 27.89
Upload Speed - 5.56
Ping 19ms
IP: 5.80.124.194
Serial Number: 40134713029

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Rich_2>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     3 ms     2 ms  BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     8 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.141.128
  3    15 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.141.174
  4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  212.140.235.66
  5    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  213.120.182.69
  6    12 ms    14 ms    11 ms  31.55.164.109
  7    11 ms    12 ms    11 ms  109.159.248.249
  8    20 ms    17 ms    18 ms  core1-te0-15-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
48.12]
  9    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  peer1-xe1-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.98]
 10    22 ms    20 ms    22 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 11    20 ms    19 ms    20 ms  85.205.0.93
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Rich_2>

Ok, long story short:

-Didn't work, then worked, then didn't work. De-registered, re-registered, tweaked open ports, then worked for 4 days. Now does not work anymore (I have not chenged anything on my router whatsoever).

Serial number = 42143536532

MarkOne
4: Newbie
Have tried 3 different cables.

Got two white lights on neighbours broadband after a couple of hours. Still have two orange lights on my broadband after about 8 DAYS.

It is absurd to try to fix this by asking me a new question in the forum every 48 hours. Why don't you have a proper help desk?

I've just tried the first of the 69 IP addresses that I have to enter manually and i get a message saying that it's invalid. So I'm not bothering to try the rest off them.

This device has a 3 pin plug and an ethernet cable. It's just plain crazy that I have to make so many setting adjustments within my router, in an attempt to get this up and running. If it did get up running, no way would I even think about moving it into another room, not by what I read on this forum.

So, I'm fed up with trying now, it shouldn't be this difficult. Getting snippets of information isn't good enough either.

I'm now going to send an email to the CEO, Jeroen Hoencamp.

MarkOne
4: Newbie
What's his email address?